It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

windows 11 thoughts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   
has anyone upgraded to wimdows 11 from windows 10? microsoft keeps telling me it is ready for download on my computer. has anyone heard of any probs with windows 11? any feed back would be great, thank you

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

My laptop came with Windows 11 and works ok. I was used to W10, and not being very computer savvy the switch has been challenging for me. Everything seems to be organized differently, so I fumble around a lot.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You're good on 11. The taskbar will confuse you slightly, being in the center like a Mac for some reason. They've compiled everything so it's harder to find what you're looking for if you don't know your 'tech' way around windows. Just Microsoft doing what it does best - moving things out of place to make you learn a whole new everything!

It works better for a lot of software. There were issues with gaming when it came out but it's a lot better now.

You can turn off the alerts. Just tell it to stop checking.

Or you can install it. If you have 16 gigs of ram, I'd say why not. Shouldn't hurt. If anything, it'll perform better - IF you have the recourses. If you're pushing 4 gigs of ram, you could still update, it just probably wont run much better than it's already running 10.

You're not going to see a huge difference on performance - and with patching, any issues you run in to may only be temporary.

Take the plunge. Get into it and learn it faster this way instead of waiting until the last minute like we've done with a lot of the older OSs. This one is much better than the previous upgrades.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I didn't do it myself, but I have seen several computers (some that originally had Windows 7) upgraded to Windows 11 without any problem.

But Windows 11 looks strange to me.

PS: the first time I saw Windows 11 was on a client's computer where I was installing our invoicing software, and not only did it look strange to me, it was in French, so there were no familiar names or locations.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Timber13
thank you for that, it was very helpful.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

oh great!! french? lol that sounds like a fun time.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As a snoopy, privacy stealing data collection and advertising platform, Windows 11 is way worse than Windows 10.

If you do decide to upgrade, which I don't currently see a valid reason to do, then take the time to research how to lock it down and turn off as many of the intrusive settings and "features" as you can.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

My laptop came with Windows 11 and works ok. I was used to W10, and not being very computer savvy the switch has been challenging for me. Everything seems to be organized differently, so I fumble around a lot.

Which is why I've always installed OpenShell (formerly Classic Shell) ever since I can remember...
It provides your choice of older Star Menus and Shell integrations.

I prefer the old Windows 2000 style Start menu myself.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdifferentOpinion
As a snoopy, privacy stealing data collection and advertising platform, Windows 11 is way worse than Windows 10.

Which is why I've been an O&O ShutUp for since Windows 10 came out.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AdifferentOpinion

ahhh, this is the stuff i was looking for..thank you for that

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   

If you do decide to upgrade, which I don't currently see a valid reason to do, then take the time to research how to lock it down and turn off as many of the intrusive settings and "features" as you can.

I go into any new OS kicking and screaming. I've only been on 10 for less than a year, and have no intention of going to 11. Maybe by the time 10 is obsolete, I'll have smartened up and installed Ubunto.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: thebtheb

im the same way, to be honest i was really happy with XP

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebtheb

I go into any new OS kicking and screaming. I've only been on 10 for less than a year, and have no intention of going to 11. Maybe by the time 10 is obsolete, I'll have smartened up and installed Ubunto.

I was the same but this version is much better than the move from all of the previous versions. Windows 11 is in good shape. The only reason I have not changed over yet (I still use it often at work) is, I like to go into everything with a fresh, clean image. I haven't cared to back up and arrange my storage so I haven't moved over yet but I plan on it. It's better than 10 - It runs smoother. Faster in some cases. I'm just lazy.

There ARE valid reasons to upgrade but it's up to you whether you want to enjoy a better use of your resources than 10.

*Shrugs*

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I am a Windows 11 Insider and was using Windows 11 for at least a year before it debuted .
As a Windows 11 Insider , we get the "dev" versions and report any "bugs" or provide ideas for updates.
So far , the best platform there is .
Very good gaming performance .
A lot of additions over and above Win10.
The options to turn of most features , including "ads" .
A very different look than Win 10 , but yet near the same
Win10 will only receive security updates .

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: nugget1

Which is why I've always installed OpenShell (formerly Classic Shell) ever since I can remember...
It provides your choice of older Star Menus and Shell integrations.

I prefer the old Windows 2000 style Start menu myself.

There are a few waaaayyy better than that .
In fact , having the Win 10 look is built right in to the OS itself .

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
has anyone upgraded to wimdows 11 from windows 10? microsoft keeps telling me it is ready for download on my computer. has anyone heard of any probs with windows 11? any feed back would be great, thank you

Try it for a while .
It's got to be a while , takes a bit of googling and getting used to .
One can most always do a roll back to Windows 10 before the 10 day limit
Again , only under 10 days without losing anything that you had in Win 10
I have HAD to roll my Windows 11 back to the previous Insider version of 11 only twice in 1 1/2 years .

edit on 5/23/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

thank you for that, your confidence in this is wearing me down lol it just seems everytime i get compfortable, i have to uproot and do something new.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
a reply to: Gothmog

thank you for that, your confidence in this is wearing me down lol it just seems everytime i get compfortable, i have to uproot and do something new.

As I added to my post :
You can roll back to your exact Win10 version within 10 days .(per Microsoft)
And , I can say I have had to roll back to a previous Insider version twice , and lost no time other than the time required for Windows to do the roll back .

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: thebtheb

Maybe by the time 10 is obsolete

It is already.
And any form of Linux is not that simple , and mostly used for servers .
Back in the day , my work put me through the MCSE and RHCSE certifications .(both now retired , as well as my drive to maintain the certs)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I learned French at school, but that was a long time ago.

There was another case of "lost in a computer", when a client took his laptop to be fixed, and when we turned it on it was a Russian version of Windows XP, and the laptop had a Russian keyboard.

Fortunately I know the alphabet, so I could use the right keys, and being XP I knew where things were supposed to be on the menus, but it was strange.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join