It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this photoshopped??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
www.wforum.com...

could someone look at the hook?

[edit on 9-4-2005 by COWlan]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think Eourofighter was tested with hook, but I don't know it for sure.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thats not a Eurofighter though. Its a Chinese J-10 and if this is real then it is the naval version tested with the landing hook.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thats a single engined aircraft - rafale and eurofighter are both of the twin engine type

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yeah, now I see that it has only 1 inlet. But it looks pretty similar to the Typhoon., especially from forward. My mistake.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
... and if this is real then it is the naval version tested with the landing hook.

Maybe it's not naval version. The F-22 was tested with hook too and no naval version was made.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That's the J-10 alright, my guess it's real, but China doesn't have many carriers doesn't it?

And photoshop didn't touch it! no sir...

[edit on 9/4/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Its a Chinese J-10,

It looks as though the forward carnards have been inlarged, or is that just me? Doesn't surprise me about the tail hook, if you have noticed in this forum there was one thread about the Vargyag, the chinese military seems to have bought it for their uses.

It isn't a surprise that they would wish to use that design, similar to the way that they have designed a carrier variant of the Eurofighter.

Interesting that this item came up and before it the purchase of the Vargyag.

The thread I am talking about was moved to bts so hmm...
www.belowtopsecret.com...

- Phil

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
are sure this isn't a swedish griffin (gripen)?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I found this on globalsecurity :

"The F-22 has an arresting hook in an enclosed fairing between the engines on the underside of the aircraft. This hook is deployed in an emergency to stop the aircraft by means of hooking on to a wire strung out across the end of a runway. These barrier engagements work very similar to the arresting gear of an aircraft carrier.

While the F-22 has an arresting hook, it cannot land on an aircraft carrier, as the F-22 does not have the heavier structure necessary to withstand the stresses of a carrier landing. The shape of the arresting hook is not compatible with low observable design, and that is why the fairing and doors are required."

So I think that J-10 hook is similar to F-22 hook - just for emergency situations.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
are sure this isn't a swedish griffin (gripen)?

it isn`t a gripen - the intakes on a gripen are on the side of the fuselage

edit:

and this is the typhoon - note the twin exhaust`s

[edit on 9-4-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The CF-18 Hornets in service with Royal Canadian AF also has arrestor hooks even though Canada does not have carriers. There are short runways up in Northern Canada that probably use this hook and line system to stop those jets.

top topics

join