It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black metal, doom, funeral doom music

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The last few years I’ve been listening to black metal then that took me onto doom and funeral doom music. How may peeps on here like that sort of thing. Lots of good artists out there. I always keep checking for new bands that come out.

youtube.com...@CreationNotEvolution

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rikgrimsby

A podcast from years ago, Metalcast Show introduced me to the nuances of metal, and although industrial is the best, I do lean toward melodic technical death metal. My angle also led me to a Christian metal site of all things lol:

christianhardrock.net...

The song of the righteous is a prayer unto God. I mean, death metal vocals or not, lyrics are essential.

edit on 5222323 by BeNotAfraid because: spelling

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   

edit on CDT1905bAmerica/ChicagoMon, 22 May 2023 15:19:56 -050013 by Timber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Black metal is barely music. It is the punk rock of metal. If it was any good they wouldn’t need make up and swords to distract from the lack of melody and the absence of harmony other than the minor third and perfect fifth.

It’s cringe. A bunch of guys who really want to larp in the woods but instead started a band.

Mayhem is the perfect example. A bunch of incels huffing dead birds out of mason jars before they play their talentless noise noise in Halloween costumes to kids who think the crow is real.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

Black metal is barely music. It is the punk rock of metal. If it was any good they wouldn’t need make up and swords to distract from the lack of melody and the absence of harmony other than the minor third and perfect fifth.

It’s cringe. A bunch of guys who really want to larp in the woods but instead started a band.

Mayhem is the perfect example. A bunch of incels huffing dead birds out of mason jars before they play their talentless noise noise in Halloween costumes to kids who think the crow is real.

Slow your roll....punk rock is hands down the best music out there...metal is down there with one note jack hammers.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Best music in the word? Made entirely with barre chords?
In 200 years, people will still know Beethoven and Miles Davis.
No one will remember Jello Biafra or Glenn Danzig

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   

If it was any good they wouldn’t need make up and swords to distract from the lack of melody

Curious to know where you got your music degree.

I suppose Poison, Twisted Sister, Ozzy, Sabbath, Crue, none of those guys (and so much more) needed makup and props too to offset their horrible sound....

Much like my grandfather when he heard the kind of music I listened to for the first time.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
- There. Fixed it for you.

Coming from someone in their 50s
edit on CDT3305bAmerica/ChicagoMon, 22 May 2023 16:33:05 -050013 by Timber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Tell me that you know nothing about black metal without saying that you know nothing about black metal.

OP, I'd like for you to check out one of my bands. PM me.
edit on 22-5-2023 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Best music in the word? Made entirely with barre chords?
In 200 years, people will still know Beethoven and Miles Davis.
No one will remember Jello Biafra or Glenn Danzig

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

I don't really enjoy punk, but those dudes will be remembered. Just barre chords in black metal? That's it?

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Notabot12345666

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timber13
[Curious to know where you got your music degree.

Dude just showed up out of nowhere. Established video game designer, virologist, immunologist, construction worker, expert on social issues, musical virtuoso.

Maybe THE top mind of the internet, ever.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

That made me snort honk. Snonk. Thanks for that.

I abandoned black metal a long time ago when it became just another thing that all sounded the same. Then the same happened with hardcore. My band tried to resuscitate it but that failed stupendously despite a worldwide cult following. Hardcore's dead, 74th or whatever we're on now wave black metal is dead and/or terrible and/or tacking new genre tags to itself to be more appealing (see: behemoth's nearly djent sound with death style vocals and black metal tag; "technical death metal" being black metal with more death style vocals usually. Things like that.

That being said, out of everything that's come out since Naglfar's Sheol (the last black metal album I actually enjoyed) I REALLY like Carach Angren and the story arc of every album. I know... CoF/Dimmu level of bm but I actually enjoy it. Aside from that I'm just an old man listening to old NY/Mass Hardcore, Tool albums from 2001 and back, some doom or various subgenres of it, and Acid Bath/Deadboy/Golgotha/Agents Of Oblivion/Daisyhead and the Mooncrickets/anything else Dax Riggs has done solo or in a band. All my music is like 30 years old lol

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Type O Negative and Woods of Ypres are in heavy rotation of late as well. Totally forgot about them. Pete and David were two of the best human beings I've ever met and both died entirely too young.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 07:55 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2023 by ctccta787 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 09:59 PM
link   
For some great, uplifiting funeral doom check out Mournful Congregation.

For more radio friendly doom whatever always have Swallow the Sun.

You can old school with MDB.

What about newer with Chelsea Wolfe

Finally you have doom that was doom but then became not doom.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
a reply to: LordAhriman

That made me snort honk. Snonk. Thanks for that.

I abandoned black metal a long time ago when it became just another thing that all sounded the same. Then the same happened with hardcore. My band tried to resuscitate it but that failed stupendously despite a worldwide cult following. Hardcore's dead, 74th or whatever we're on now wave black metal is dead and/or terrible and/or tacking new genre tags to itself to be more appealing (see: behemoth's nearly djent sound with death style vocals and black metal tag; "technical death metal" being black metal with more death style vocals usually. Things like that.

That being said, out of everything that's come out since Naglfar's Sheol (the last black metal album I actually enjoyed) I REALLY like Carach Angren and the story arc of every album. I know... CoF/Dimmu level of bm but I actually enjoy it. Aside from that I'm just an old man listening to old NY/Mass Hardcore, Tool albums from 2001 and back, some doom or various subgenres of it, and Acid Bath/Deadboy/Golgotha/Agents Of Oblivion/Daisyhead and the Mooncrickets/anything else Dax Riggs has done solo or in a band. All my music is like 30 years old lol
I had forgotten about Naglfar, loved that album and listening right now. Most music I listen to is at least 30 years old, you're not alone in that

A very decent band , similar to Opeth and new (so there are exceptions)

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:09 AM
link   
You forgot GWAR.

Oh. Wait they really were aliens.

a reply to: Timber13

To the OP.

The Dead Kennedys will be remembered long after you are dust. G.G. Allin perhaps a little less likely lol, he would be disappointed if he was no doubt.

www.loudersound.com...

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea

I agree that it's all been done to death. Though I did discover these guys a couple years ago, and they were like a breath of fresh air as far as black metal goes.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

[Curious to know where you got your music degree.

Dude just showed up out of nowhere. Established video game designer, virologist, immunologist, construction worker, expert on social issues, musical virtuoso.

Maybe THE top mind of the internet, ever.

We’re out there. I don’t know anything about designing games. I don’t know much about construction other than epoxy flooring.
I studied guitar under Tomo Fujita at Berkeley. Had some jazz lessons from Barry Harris, he taught John Coltrane. Got my music degree from a place you’ve never heard of.
You guys are trying to tell Gordon Ramsey that Arby’s is legit food🤣

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 08:03 AM
link   

If it was any good they wouldn’t need make up and swords to distract from the lack of melody

Curious to know where you got your music degree.

I suppose Poison, Twisted Sister, Ozzy, Sabbath, Crue, none of those guys (and so much more) needed makup and props too to offset their horrible sound....

Much like my grandfather when he heard the kind of music I listened to for the first time.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
- There. Fixed it for you.

Coming from someone in their 50s

Blackie Lawless (from WASP) angrily told his band mates after giving his genitals a second degree burning “if you guys wrote better songs I wouldn’t have to do this sh!t”

top topics

<<   2 >>

join