It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Malaysian women is suing Starbucks over name misspelling.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Was it the wrong name that meant pig? If so, she may be Muslim and *that's* the problem. They called a Muslim a pig.

My husband deals with Malaysia through his job, and to say their Islamic guidance counsel is uptight about this sort of thing would be an understatement.

edit on 22-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I realise that the woman is probably a Muslim woman.

Though it could have been a dimple mistake by thd order taker, order takers have the music too loud, heaps of ambient noise.

Maybe they just misheard.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Sounds like something the Social Lord Savior's Mom would try and pull

That is too funny 😁

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   

That doesn't matter and won't matter any more than it mattered when the poor kid got thrown out of the Pokémon tournament for not knowing pronouns.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Fine, I think Starbucks should:
A move all business from Malaysa
B stop writing names and assign everyone a number

This will prevent this type of issue from happening in the future

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
Fine, I think Starbucks should:
A move all business from Malaysa
B stop writing names and assign everyone a number

This will prevent this type of issue from happening in the future

It is a natural consequence of advertising yourself as being insufferably, perfectly woke and sensitive. When you screw it up, it comes back to bite you.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith. Should've spelled it "Batty". As "Babi" evidently means pig, and Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country I can see her annoyance, but unless she can prove it was intentional, she ain't got no case and should be slapped with a frivolous lawsuit fine.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Bavitra Ramachandran. She is a hindu by the way. The thing is, it is an utter insult to call anyone babi or anjing (dog) in any way shape or form, intentionally or not in Malaysia. It is a cultural thing. Regardless of your race or religion.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

Thanks for the explanation, we really do no need anymore "karens" in the US.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Thanks for the explanation, we really do no need anymore "karens" in the US.

we have 'Karens' in Europe as well, but in my dictionary a 'Karen' is someone who goes off without any reason at all. If someone wrote something really offensive on my coffee I'd probably let him have it as well

btw, what's the male equivalent of a Karen?

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I once went into a Starbucks, told them my name (DB) and waited for my beverage.

When they called out "Fat Tub of Rotted Lard" and I complained, they said they misheard.

So mistakes do happen people.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Some people are just so *____ Insert extremely long string a explicitives ____ "

She may win pettiest of the year of award.

I got some folks trying to win that award with me I don't think is going to work out how they'd like too

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 11:37 AM
link   

In this case, it was a 1 letter mix up and the letters in question sound very close when you say them. It was a very unfortunate mistake and most likely entirely unintended.

So whether or not you can call this woman a Karen for her initial upset is debatable, but I think carrying this to lawsuit territory once an explanation was made along with an apology would qualify her for that label, no doubt.

posted on May, 24 2023 @ 10:22 AM
link   

If this is true, i'm suing everyone for using my recipe for theSteakisalie burgers.

edit on 24-5-2023 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Sounds like she, and a lawyer just see an opportunity to collect. People mistake my name so often I thought I must have a speech impediment. Turns out people only half listen and even then hear what they want.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join