It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus in the eyes of Conservatives

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Just a quick note. I'm not here to debate anyone or try to change their mind or perception or anything like that. I am only here to learn what the conservative perspective is on something specific Jesus said.

So when Jesus said 'treat others as you would have them treat you' (Matthew 7:12) Why does this NOT mean treat everyone with kindness & empathy, but instead it means harass LGBTQ, immigrants, non-Christians, etc., etc..

Again, I'm not trying to change your belief--but i do know the difference between someone answering a question and NOT answering a question. So to be clear, I want to know how Matthew 7:12 actually ALLOWS you to harass ppl you don't like. Specifically Matthew 7:12--bc i already know there's plenty of OTHER scriptures that overtly support the idea of a fight'n Jesus 'i came not to bring peace' yada yada--so this is ONLY about Matthew 7:12.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ERISunveiled

Harass LGBTP ?

Projection central.
LGBTP are the ones doing the sex grooming harassement in schools

LGBTP is a sin.
And per Christ "do not sin"

QED

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I dont harass anyone. I'm civil and polite to everyone. If someone harasses me, I give back what I get.

Do you know people that spend their time harassing others? Who? Most people can't be bothered.

What is your definition of harassment? Opinions online that you don't agree with?

I believe in live and let live unless you are hurting others. But keep your kink away from my grandkids, or you will find a Tiger Grandma on your hands.

And I really don't like people that don't believe in Jesus asking Christians to act more like Jesus. LOL Nope. It doesn't work that way.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Your topic specifically is about 'doing unto others'.

Why do you think my answer was off-topic? I specifically talked about 'doing unto others'.

I think you posted the topic to start chit. And so far, have flagged your only responses as 'off-topic'.

Well, I guess I'm done here then. Have a nice day!
edit on 5/19/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Hi. I'll engage. Copy/paste that verse from whatever Bible translation / version you have in it's entirety for context, and I will expound on it.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

well i think you answered my question, actually.

the topic I presented is about ''treating others as you would have them treat you" --however you genuinely think...

Your topic specifically is about 'doing unto others'.

So. I have my answer. Thank you for participating.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
interesting.
You aim your question about Jesus at conservatives, not Christians.

I point this out, because I am not a Christian, but would be considered a conservative.

Anyhoo, Who says it DOESN"T mean treat everyone with kindness.

Seems like you are just picking a fight, really.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I have a question for you, however.

How many migrants or homeless are you feeding and housing?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:01 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeNotAfraid

Hi. I'll engage. Copy/paste that verse from whatever Bible translation / version you have in it's entirety for context, and I will expound on it.

from Wikipedia _ en.wikipedia.org...:12#:~:text=In%20the%20King%20James%20Version,the%20law%20and%20the%20prophets

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you:
do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets

The World English Bible translates the passage as:
Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you
shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

The Novum Testamentum Graece text is:
Πάντα οὖν ὅσα ἐὰν θέλητε ἵνα ποιῶσιν ὑμῖν οἱ ἄνθρωποι,
οὕτως καὶ ὑμεῖς ποιεῖτε αὐτοῖς· οὗτος γάρ ἐστιν ὁ νόμος καὶ οἱ προφῆται.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I don’t see anything wrong or unfair re your question
Jesus taught those who would follow Him two commandments
Love God
Love others
Bit confused why christians don’t follow those rules myself
I try
edit on 19-5-2023 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Conservatism doesn't promote harassment.

In truth, Jesus would more closely align with conservative views of today than the depraved liberal hedony we have.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ERISunveiled
Just a quick note. I'm not here to debate anyone or try to change their mind or perception or anything like that. I am only here to learn what the conservative perspective is on something specific Jesus said.

Then I won't debate you. Transgenders are the "protected class de jour" of the liberal ideology, creed, doctrine, and newest "imposed on everyone" morality of the moment.

As Christian and all my friends. How we feel about transgenders:
Mind your own business, don't force us to celebrate or know yours.
We'll mind our own business, and don't want or need to know yours.
We'll treat you with respect and kindness. (as I have done on several occasions)
You in return treat us with respect and don't expect us to applaud your sexual choices, we don't want to know them, and we don't want you forcing us to know them.

Same with all LGBTQP+, don't force us to know the details of your sex lives.
We won't force you to know the details of our sex lives.

We will treat you with kindness.
You in return treat us with kindness by not dressing like pole dancing strippers in libraries, and in public.
You in return treat us with kindness by not wearing makeup that is the equivalent of blackface that mocks.

Don't expect special treatment that denies rights to biological women and girls.
(i.e. The new laws that mandate transgender women be locked in prison cells with women with vaginas, even if they are in prison for sexually attacking women with vaginas, which has resulted in documented rape and pregnancies. The mandate protects women with penis from rape in prison - but punished women with vaginas who object and are raped in prison.)
(i.e. The new regulations that have ended in some massive sports injuries due to the biological and well document larger bone structure, and musculature of those with a penis.)

As a Christian I have done my best to be loving and kind to transgenders when I have encountered them. They are normally shocked and taken aback that I have been nice, talked to them. Helped some in stores when they asked me my opinion. I will treat everyone in a loving way as Christ mandates me to do.

Still won't argue with you. What I have found is that some of the transgenders I have encountered, 2 in specific did their best to rattle me, a little old lady, for what appeared to be fun. I responded with kindness, helped them decide between dresses, and it seemed to rattle them and they became embarrassed at their little "joke" of trying to get me to be unkind and unloving. This REALLY happened, I know you won't believe it, but it did.

I find much of the behavior with children and in libraries that I see on TV to be unkind and sexually provocative on purpose to children. But as a transgender supporter, I guess you find their behavior exemplary and I should not be such a prude and find dressing like prostitutes and mocking biological women with their makeup and behavior to be something I should celebrate. I don't and I won't.

As a Christian, I will not approve of their BEHAVIOR, disapproval of behavior is NOT the same as judging a person.

It is my obligation to be kind, loving, and nice to everyone.

I have no obligation to approve of the BEHAVIOR of everyone, as Transgenders and you are demanding.

NO ONE has the right to demand my approval and acceptance of BEHAVIOR I find immoral. I do have an obligation to be kind, nice and loving to the person and to treat them well, as a Christian, regardless of if I approve of their BEHAVIOR or not. I am currently helping a prison release program, I don't approve of the behavior that landed the people in jail, sex offenses, drugs, theft - but I am kind, respectful and loving of the ex-prisoners. One of whom has become a good friend.

My approval or disapproval of BEHAVIOR means nothing.

I will always disapprove of behavior that is immoral and the Bible is clear is immoral.

I won't judge anyone as to where they will go after they die. I won't judge their soul. That is the job of Jesus and God only.

When it comes to people who engage in immoral behavior I don't approve of my stance is the same as Jesus "go and sin no more".

Judgement is not mine to give or for anyone to expect from me, that kind of judgement is up to God.

Again, not debating you!

Simply how I operate as a Christian and how all my Christian friends operate based on Matt 7:12

edit on 5/19/23 by The2Billies because: format

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

'picking a fight' would imply I'm interested in a debate. I'm not. And I worded my post just fine. I was / am interested in the conservative interpretation of MATTHEW 7:12.

specifically how a scripture that says "Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you
shall also do to them," is understood through the lens of homophobia and xenophobia

A. some homophobes and xenophobes are Christians

B. The foundation of Christian thought is the Bible

C. The Bible contains a verse that says: "Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you
shall also do to them," (MATTHEW 7:12. )

Therefore--the interpretation that MATTHEW 7:12 prohibits homophobia and xenophobia is wrong. The purpose of this post is to learn the CORRECT interpretation directly from Christian homophobes and xenophobes. Which is why I came to ATS.

so there. Is that a nicer way of asking my question?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

For one thing, you assume all conservatives are Christian. They are not. If you mean conservative Christians, say so.

Secondly, I don't know any Christians personally who hate on individuals because they are not Christian, or they are LGBTQxyz, or immigrant, but I do know those who eschew the ideology of LGBTQxyz, believe that Christianity is the only way, and dislike illegal immigration.

I also know that the Christian soup kitchen here in town never asks anyone if they fall into these categories before they are allowed to eat. They treat everyone equally from what I've seen.

Point being, they might dislike an ideology because they consider it sinful, but they aren't hating on individuals. I understand there are exceptions to that, but generally speaking, that's my experience. It seems to me most do try to live Matthew 7 as well as they can.
edit on 5/19/2023 by Klassified because: corrections additions

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I don't think Jesus would want to force people behave charitably through government mandate, from the legislative halls of government, a judicial bench and the taxpayer's purse, but truly from their heart and from their own pocket.

Nobody is perfect, and there will always be somebody that someone has contention with and has no charitable F#s to give them.
edit on 19-5-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   

In the context of just that isolated verse is your answer: The Messiah is reiterating the law and the prophets, which is the "Old Testament", you know, like the Tanakh, the Torah, Deuterocanon, Antilegomena, and Apocrypha.

The Law means there are crimes. The prophets imply there are the ignorant.
Those who obey the law and the prophets are the innocent before God. God decides that, not anyone else.

So, behave as God's laws allow, the prophets repeat the extent of God's laws to this moment, and everyone will be fine.
Anyone else is doing bad things. That's the context of "do unto others". It's God's world, God's rules.

Then there's the fact that you addressed "conservatives" rather than Christians. The Torah and people in general exist because of conservatism: survive and thrive. Check your "coexist" bumper sticker for more details on "thou shall not". So many laws and prophets. Eternity.

edit on 5192323 by BeNotAfraid because: bold type

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

well by your own account, you actually DID treat them the way you wanted to be treated lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join