It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pot Slows Heart Disease (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
DR. Francois March of Geneva University Hospitalin Geneva, has reserched into the use of THC's anti-inflamitory effects, to reduce blood vessel clogging.

This is not to say you should go out and light up a joint. The reserch used a very low dose of oraly taken THC. Other work showed no extra benefit from a higher THC dose such as one would get from smoking up.

Link
(AP) - Low doses of the main active ingredient in marijuana slowed the progression of hardening of the arteries in mice, suggesting a hint for developing a new therapy in people.

Experts stressed that the finding does not mean people should smoke marijuana in hopes of getting the same benefit.

"To extrapolate this to, 'A joint a day will keep the doctor away,' I think is premature," said Dr. Peter Libby, chief of cardiovascular medicine at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital.

The mouse work is presented in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature by Dr. Francois Mach of Geneva University Hospital in Geneva, Switzerland, and colleagues. He said in an e-mail that he believed future work will focus on finding drugs that mimic the benefit without producing marijuana's effects on the brain

They fed mice a high-cholesterol diet for 11 weeks. About halfway through that period, they started giving some of the mice very low, daily oral doses of THC - too low to produce any marijuana-like changes in behaviour. At the end of the experiment, mice that had gotten the THC showed less blood vessel clogging than did mice that got no THC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well it looks like they have found yet another benificial use for THC. It apears that you don't even need to take enough to get high to gain this effect.

While they certainly do not advocate smoking pot, it is an example of a usefull property of the main ingrediant THC.

It is of note that they are wanting to focus on finding a manufactured product that will not produce the "high" asociated with THC use. I have to wonder what unintended side effects would result in this manipulation of THC.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by drogo]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Your link is broken, and smokeing is spelled "smoking". Probably a few other tweaks in there that I missed.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Great find

I love the quote, "a joint a day will keep the doctor away."

I'm happy to see all this info coming out on THC and pot lately, both positive and negative aspects of it. The truth is out there.

P.S. link works! The only other suggestion I can offer is your title: capitalize the first letter of every word (and I would get rid of the question mark, personally)

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I heard this just after I read on the crawl that middle-aged men drinking 1 or 2 glasses of milk a day have a higher risk of parkinsons.

I'm doing everything all wrong!

Marijuana will NOT help your heart. THC can possibly in small doses.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
pesonaly i am seeing that anything and everything, that we do has some sort of negitive side effect. includeing breathing lol. aparently the oxygen that we need to survive kills cells, go figure.

i have been seeing a lot lately on positive things that THC (the same substance which is where the high comes from), may have some health bennifits. just as a little bit of alcohaol is now seen to be healthy. so why not just legalize it, in it's original plant form? ok there are some negitive health effects. so does just about every other "legal" health medication as we now see daily on tv. there are even ways to smoke it used for people who are takeing it for medical reasons, that can cut back these concerns. so why not make those available for legal use by anyone who wishes to partake (over the age of 19 oviously just like alcohal)? easy the government has been filling our heads with lies about it being a dangerous drug. i admit there is a lot out there that should be illigal, includeing drugs that can be manufactured out of on the shelf cold/alergy medication.

the other thing of note is that they always want to manipulate and thus chemicalize the substance. just as we see in vitamins. instead of makeing sure that we eat the right foods we are told that we should have this nice little pill that will make sure we stay healthy. i am becoming more and more concerned that this manipulation may be the reasons that we are suffering many of our health problems. just look at many drinks and cerials "enhanced with x vitamin or mineral. we are constantly impressed upon that we need this to stay healthy.

i don't think it is our health that is the concern. rather the health of multi-millian doller a year phamacutical companies is. if they are finding such helpfull charactoristics within a substance then we sould have free acess
to it without the "needed" lab created manipulations that years down the road are almost certain to cause some problem or other.

it's about time that our society realizes that just like alcohal prohibition, that all that keeping drugs illigal is doing is makeing criminal enterprises rich. as well as makeing criminals out of people who only wish to partake. how many lives could be saved each year from things like cutting hashish with transmission fluid to increase crimminal profits? if more of the less harmfull drugs were legal would some not try others because a magor bust has made a less harmfull drug unavailable? so to get a high they will try something more dangerous and addictive?

alcohal- legal,can be adictive,tends to cause some to become unstable and agressive resulting in abuse of others, damage to property, and even the murder of someone? and it is perfectly legal (in fact it was illigal at one time and that only seemed to spread it's use). can cause according to science liver problems for over use.

cigarettes- legal, higly chemicaly as well as mentaly addictive, can be used to reduce food intake, good for stress, both points can be argued against. can cause acording to science heart problems and cancer. but yet again it is legal.

pot- illigal, can be mentaly addictive. user generaly becomes lazy, and non confrontive (likely to tell you to just go away if anoyed). may have the same types of negitive health effects as cigarette use. but there is a way to reduce those effects available. but still illigal.

the list can go on to include most "health" and "pain" medications that have good things that they do but also have varried negitive health effects as well. so why not just legalize pot? it would help to solve some of the problems caused just by the effect that it is illigal. it could even increase the police available to solve real crimes.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
H#ll, Pot Slows Everything!!!
That was my experience anyway.
Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt!!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
i will certainly not have any heart disease problems

if you know what i mean
haha!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
i will certainly not have any heart disease problems

if you know what i mean
haha!

LOL, I cracked up reading this. Sometimes someone writes something in here that makes your day.

Max

top topics

join