It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India to ask Britain to return of treasures priceless Koh-i-Noor diamond used in Crown Jewels

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Nah, that thing went through many changes of ownership.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: putnam6

Is it fair Britain gets to keep them?

Britain keeps the jewels,India, South Africa can keep the infrastructure that Britain put in.

Fair swap.

Sounds symptomatic like the Christians saving the heathen savages from themselves by converting them, does it not?

Thankfully the British knocked down those nasty Hindus, where would they be without them?

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Might as well give up Israel and the USA for that matter if we’re going to “give back” what was taken.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Oooh, Canada and Australia also, gotta give them back!

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

that sort of thinking would lead us to a conclusion Tom Payne might approve of

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Russia did ask for Alaska back recently !!
alaskapublic.org...

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   

This guy's routine would apply here:

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think the UK aught to give these back. With the serious housing shortage in the UK we could give the Koh-I-Noor back only if India takes the nearly 2 million Indians living in the UK. Same with Africa, they can have the Star of Africa but they must take the nearly 2 million Africans back as well. SIMPLES, Uk getting nearly 4 million empty houses.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Might as well give up Israel and the USA for that matter if we’re going to “give back” what was taken.

Most definitely, and I need to vacate my small plot of land so it can be repopulated by the Cherokee, and return to my Scottish Germanic roots in the UK and Europe

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This guy's routine would apply here:

Huge fan of James Acaster...

Sounds as if the Briits are saying how about being happy we have a Hindu Prime Minister.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

We could argue the Brits did all that on purpose... Sikhs were the warriors of India. Europeans couldn't have pesky fighting type societies to deal with. Same thing happened in China, the Boxer rebellion, it was just a little more difficult.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

We could argue the Brits did all that on purpose... Sikhs were the warriors of India. Europeans couldn't have pesky fighting type societies to deal with.

As there where two Anglo-Sikh wars and the Sikh's lost both of them. i suppose there wasn 't much to worry about.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Good luck with that!

Of course, in these days, crazier things have happened.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I guess that makes room for me to go back to the UK where my roots are when the Native Americans take back their country. And all the African Americans here will gladly hand over their reparations to said Natives and head back to Africa as well.

Oh, but then my situation gets complicate since I'm married to someone who had a full-blooded Native grandmother ... Ugh, now what?
edit on 13-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Well when kne side has weapon superiority, was no surprise. But it's just a little convenient that when the Sihks were beaten down their entire culture and territory was just given away 'legally'.

Aa I said, they tried it with China too. And I think they did it in Afghanistan, but ultimately lost.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx
I do not have a dog in this fight
and I hate when other countries put their noses
in our countries business..

That said..

There is no reason to give it back..

I do not like the king and queen thing..

Pussy footing to these things and demands
is a slippery slope..
Next thing you know your being taxed for reparations
back to them. For something you have nothing to do with.

They are tearing down George Washington statues
and old honest Abe Lincoln statues
the man who helped free the slaves (although I know some us historians dispute the reasonings)

Do not give them back screw them..

On topic, this will be interesting to watch playout, along with reactions from other countries and 'their' missing national treasures.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Oh, by the way, I want all those nasty Viking countries to give back all the gold and precious metals we had to pay them for Dane Geld.

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

The Italians have a load of problems coming their way don't they once everyone starts to realize how much Ancient Rome has to answer for. And wow ... what about the Iranians when everyone starts demanding stuff over the Persian Empire? As I recall ... India has some of its own empire building to answer for in the past as well.

And China ... well, China is an intermingled mess of competing groups that have warred amongst themselves and on their neighbors over the years.
edit on 13-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   
First of all any of this will have to be done on a case-by-case basis. So forget the whataboutisms for a moment

We know India and South Africa have actually requested the return of numerous items and it isn't just the jewels, it's definitely historical items that belong in India.

Imagine in the War of 1812 if the British swiped the Declaration of Independence and still had it. Pretty sure we would want it back.

but read the WION version it has a different tone, they seem serious here, no matter if the average Brit is saying NFW.

www.wionews.com...

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government will soon begin a diplomatic campaign to reclaim the Kohinoor diamond and thousands of other treasures taken by Britain during their centuries-long colonial exploits in the Indian subcontinent.

The diplomatic campaign is reportedly dubbed as "reckoning with the past" and is set to be the largest repatriation claim faced by the United Kingdom.

"It is of huge importance to the government. The thrust of this effort to repatriate India's artifacts comes from the personal commitment of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has made it a major priority," Govind Mohan, secretary for India's culture ministry, was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.

Diplomats in London will make formal requests to institutions holding artifacts seized as spoils of war or collected by enthusiasts during the colonial rule. The process is due to begin this year, The Telegraph report added.

India's reckoning with colonial history: Return of Koh-i-noor in particular focus
The Indian government's goal is to secure the return of the Koh-i-Noor diamond, one of the Crown Jewels currently held by the recently crowned King Charles III.

The British Royal family has been in possession of the Kohinoor since 1849 CE, ever since a 10-year-old boy King, Maharaja Duleep Singh was forced to sign the Treaty of Lahore in 1849. Queen Victoria wore the Kohinoor as a brooch.

Till this date, sections of British media just like Britain's history books state that the Kohinoor was a gift for Britain from India or that "it was handed over to the East India Company".

posted on May, 13 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   

In the USA? I think I’m ready for new management….
edit on 13-5-2023 by WhatItIs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join