It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best drummer of all time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

Mikkey Dee - King Diamond, Helloween, a million other bands. Not groundbreaking but I like the dude.

With Motorhead for many years...........He's a personal friend of mine.....Great drummer ( as far as straight ahead rock/metal drumming goes)

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Steff

Cool! Got me thinking, I've never seen MD play live, have to check out some clips. As for Motorhead, I don't remember that on his resume, but I can't remember everything.

Couple other notables:

Fastest drummer in the world - Mike Mangini

www.youtube.com...

Virgil Donati

www.youtube.com...

Got me going with this thread, I'm looking forward to playing again. Been a while. I'll still suck but I don't care.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Danny Carey puts Bonhom to shame. Same with Neil Pert.

Now for their time those two yes were the best. But right now (for rock and roll) the best belongs to Danny Carey.

Danny Carey was influenced by these two and has perfected their style. Danny Carey Im sure could play ANY rush song. But Pert could never play Ticks and Leeches, or Lateralus, etc.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Danny Carey.

Yeah i know, i know, Tool username, Tool signature... but I personally think Danny Carey is the best drummer of all time. He is God of drumming in our generation, but IMHO exceeds the skills of any before him. His technique is almost mathematical, yet he maintains a hypnotic aura. He's in a different, newer and better league to drummers before him, and i hope his greatness will always be recognised. Its almost a sin if it's not.

As for specific style, Jimmy Chamberlain is an the master of Latin Drumming
He's nothing amazing but he got that down lol

As for overrated, as much as I love Metallica, Lars Ulrich sucks. Well thats a bit harsh, he's a good-ish drummer, however his great but overuse of double bass has somehow created a 'legendary drummer' in young anger-infested teen's eyes, as he is loud and can hit things pretty hard and fast .. well with his pedals..... just his pedals... rarrr

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Ride The Spiral]

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Ride The Spiral]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Neil Peart without any doubt.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mickey Dee

Terry Bozzio

Mitch Mitchel

Bonham

Bill Bruford?? hello!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Extremely difficult to pick just ONE. So I won't.

As far as solid all around drummer, Phil Rudd from AC/DC never missed a beat.

If it's speed/ death metal you crave I'd have to go with Richard Christy from iced earth. That dude is fast!

The greatest drummer from a technical standpoint is Neil Peart of course. In concert, the guy has more roto toms racked than I have drums & hardware in my entire kit.

The heart and soul award would have to go to John Bonham. His play was very emotional!

And last but not least (I'm suprised I have not seen his name yet) Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews. That guy can really funk it up.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
No drummer ever did more with less talent than Ringo Starr.

And what about the dude from Def Leppard who played with one freakin' arm? What.....was that not impressive enough for you guys?

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Paradiddle Enow

Originally posted by Dr Love
No drummer ever did more with less talent than Ringo Starr.

Or less with more talent than Charlie Watts. I mean this in a good way.

I don't know if John Bonham should even be mentioned on this thread. He was far more than a drummer; he played a more central role in the music of Led Zeppelin than other drummers do in the music written and performed by their colleagues. This was the case both on stage and in the studio. Bonzo remains to this day in a class by himself; not drumming, but a category of musicianship occupied only by him. He truly was the Hammer of the Gods.

Are we only considering kit drummers and Western music in this thread? If we aren't, then it should be noted that a properly trained classical tabla player can make any kit drummer look pretty sick. Zakir Hussein is well known to Western audiences from his work with John McLaughlin in the Seventies, but there are regiments of other fine tablaists.

Among people who hit things for a living, one great name that hasn't yet appeared in this thread is Trilok Gurtu. Another is Billy Cobham.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i gotta go with terry bozzio
or
vinnie coliauta

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Maybe not the best ever, but my favorite has to be Max Weinburg of the Max Weinburg 7. He's the houseband on Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

Another is Keith Moon from The Who. One time before a concert someone showed him these pills that could knock out a thousand pound horse. So what does he do? He takes like 4. haha. Passes out durring a song, and Pete Townshed asks the audience if anyone plays drums and some guy played the drums the rest of the concert. Kuddos to that drummer too.

-Staples

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
reply to post by Steff

Cool! Got me thinking, I've never seen MD play live, have to check out some clips. As for Motorhead, I don't remember that on his resume, but I can't remember everything.

He's with Motorhead now, and has been for years

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Gotta go with Danny Carey of Tool. I've seen them numerous times and the guy is just amazing. Check out some of his solos and head to head work on youtube. The guy has an incredible sense of rhythm and his phrasing is impeccable. Mind you, being like 7 feet tall probably gives him a bit of a reach advantage over most.
P.S. Lars couldnt carry a tune if you put it in a paper bag...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
DANNY CAREY IS NUMBER 1

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Martin Lopez ex Opeth drummer

I love his style with the latin jazz influences

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I would say Gene Krupa,even my 18 yr old who is a drummer would agree

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Buddy Rich drum solo....

Enough said......Best drummer and pioneer of all time............Buddy Rich destroys all...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
ahh i forgot about him : ONkel

have fun, use babblefish if needed...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There's too many 'greatest drummers' in the world
:

Most amazing drummers:

Tony Royster Jr. Danny Carrey
Dennis Chambers
George Kollias. Gavin Harrison
Jojo Mayer, KJ Sawka

[yvid]

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Obviously Buddy Rich and Keith Moon were both amazing drummers.

My personal favourites were Topper Headon of The Clash, a seriously talented drummer who could adapt his style to any type of music and my late friend Michael Lee who drummed with The Cult, Page & Plant, Echo & The Bunnymen, Thin Lizzy amongst others.

Alan Wren, better known as Reni, of The Stone Roses was / is an amazingly talented drummer and musician and it is truly tragic that nothing much has been heard of him since he left The Roses in 1996.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join