It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough road ahead - I am going to quit smoking. Any tips?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Being currently on vacation, I have had lots of time and used it for thinking clearly about my life and goals. For a long time, I have had the idea of quitting smoking, yet, it has not come to fruition. I have not even started. Today, I spent hours near the lake, as another member here suggested, and pondered on the idea of making my goal come true and finally came to conlusion - there is nothing positive cigarettes provides, except for potential ill-health.

I have been a heavy smoker for the last 15 years, smoking 2-3 packs of the strongest cigarettes available here, per day. Yet, I have never truly enjoyed smoking. I have simply smoked to avoid the withdrawal effects. I get this weird, unsettling, unbearable feeling in the throat, whenever I have a craving. The only thing, I would miss, is the company of other smokers. Whenever at a party, it is easy to make friends, get away from the noise. In office, I receive lots of information about what is happening within teams that I would otherwise be unaware of.

My action plan is the following: I am on vacation (until 15.05) right now (without transport home) and the nearest store is 10 kilometers (6 km) away. At the moment, I have enough cigarettes to last 5 days, which means the last day I will be smoking will be on the 8th of May. As the withdrawal effects might become extreme, I will wane them off using nicotine patches (probably 2-3 at a time) and nicotine gum, which will arrive by that time. I set up a phone consultancy for quitting smoking for Friday to discuss, whether my plan works. Also bought an ebook by Allen Carr - Easy Way to Quit Smoking - I am not sure how good that is, but the company has clinics around the world, so thought of giving it a shot. Smoking itself is a habit and the easiest way to quit bad habits is to find a replacement behaviour. I have considered options. Chewing gum or snacks would not be healthy, thus I have decided to try another approach - deep breathing for 2 minutes. It tends to have a relaxing effect. In addition, I will increase my water intake.

Well, that is my action plan, but I was interested in how other members here have managed to quit. Could you please share your stories or suggestions? Any feedback on my action plan is welcome.
edit on 3-5-2023 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Peppermint lifesavers

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Also bought an ebook by Allen Carr - Easy Way to Quit Smoking - I am not sure how

This is all you need, it states the obvious at times, but it has an NLP thing going on that really works. If you want to succeed in something you have to set yourself a realistic target that you can achieve otherwise you will fail. As Carr points out, with quiting smoking, the reasons we can't are what we've created. By stating you don't enjoy it your half way there.

I found exercising in the worst cravings really helped, they go away once new habbits are the norm and you will wonder why you never gave up sooner.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

By planning that much stuff in advance of running out of smokes, you are are working yourself into a frenzy before you run out.
I am also a smoker that couldn’t stand the thought of going to bed only having 2 or 3 cigarettes left in the pack before I went to bed, so I would run to get more.

Having said that, I’ve been screwed up with the worst allergies of my life the last 2 months to the point where I almost couldn’t breathe before bed and when I got up.
I went to the doctor 5 or 6 times and they finally got a handle on it for me.
I was scared, I was thinking the worst….lung cancer etc.
During those 2 months I only smoked probably 8 to 10 cigarettes total from a 3/4 to 1 pack a day habit.
The withdrawals were not that bad for me because I had something to occupy my mind, being scared that I couldn’t breathe.
Now that I am feeling better, I am slowly weaning myself off them, I’ve smoked maybe 3 or 4 a day in the past week.
I think it’s all in our minds because the bad physical withdrawals didn’t happen for me.

Good luck….if I can cut down on my way to eventually quitting, so can you.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Try vaping as a much healthier alternative. Many people are able to quit smoking by changing to vaping.
That's off course why governments are trying to ban vaping or add stupid laws/regulations to make things difficult.

They want us sick /dependent: big tobacco/ big pharma $$$$

I notice that even with the added nicotine in ejuice , it's barely (not at all ) addictive. Coffee is more addictive than vaping.
I would know too as I quit smoking (pack or more a day ) 15 years ago.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Don't switch one addiction for another, like vaping lol.
One thing that will help is to change your taste-buds by using cinnamon mouthwash or toothpaste, and eating or drinking grapefruit, for example.

Also, let the magic work. Your bank account and stamina will thank you.
Prayin' for ya.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I will wane them off using nicotine patches (probably 2-3 at a time)

Please don't do this! Using more than one patch at a time is very dangerous and could cost you your life.

You also do not want to be wearing a patch while smoking. My little brother did that and it cost him his life.

There's a point when our bodies crave nicotine like a junky craves his next fix. Most smokers quit before they get that addicted, and those that don't have a tough road ahead.

I've read research papers that say nicotine if far more addictive than 'C' or 'H'.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   
One thing that can help a lot is to occupy yourself. Find a hobby or if you already have one, try something new. Get your mind off of wanting a cigarette and you'll be surprised how long you go without smoking.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I did it with the name brand 3-step patches and multiple attempts. They say that even if you fail, the more times your try, the greater you chances of success increase.

Years ago, I watched one of my bosses, who had smoked for several decades, seemingly quit overnight.
when I asked him how he did it, he replied, "acupuncture for the physical addiction and hypnosis for the mental addition." As far as I know, he stayed quit.

edit on 3-5-2023 by IndieA because: spelling

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Good luck Cabin. I've been a smoker for years and while I have given it up for the odd bouts here and there, I still take the dreaded weed.

I know it's a filthy, stupid habit where you're literally burning money, and it's not good for your health, but you've got to die of something.

I would suggest you try cutting down first, rather than going cold turkey, as 2-3 packs a day is fairly excessive. If you can get yourself down to 15-20 a day, you'll be in a much better frame of mind as your anxiety of withdrawal won't be as extreme.

But best of luck, and fingers crossed.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
For a long time, I have had the idea of quitting smoking, yet, it has not come to fruition. I have not even started. .

I adopted a similar approach to quitting the lung busters. I called it the lazy man method.

What I did was couldn’t be assed lighting, smoking, buying, burrowing or picking up a cigarette.

It worked and continues to work for me. It may be my Australian predilection for ‘couldn’t be assed’ or some form of innate bone idleness that I have harnessed for the power of good.

I leave it here for your consideration.

I think your plan is giving cigarettes too much credit. They just don’t mean that much in the scheme of things.
like quitting drinking, everyday you will feel better then yesterday!
edit on 3-5-2023 by Dalamax because: Encouragement

edit on 3-5-2023 by Dalamax because: Grammer

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Sounds like you are already thinking too much about smoking, i have made the same error many times, i have lasted a week or two before many times, then made up an excuse to start again, maybe i can kick it someday, but what helps me personally, is to have something bitter to chew on, Bay leaves, hops, pine resin, helps for some reason.

Edit, oh and fresh rosemary, it has all sorts of things going on. A good chew..

edit on 3-5-2023 by XipeTotex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   

From a smoker of 50 years. I started at 8, rolled my own from about 30.

This January, I had the first smoke of my own home grown tobacco grown last season. 4 lovely tall and very strong and beautiful Golden Virginia plants.

OMG!

I hacked for a few weeks, less and less as time went on, and cleared out that HALF A CENTURY of COMMERCIAL POISON addicted to me from birth.

I can breath better now than I have done in........ forever really. No kidding.

AND I will keep on smoking because I really enjoy it.

Grow your own if you can and do NOT shock a system that is doing what it does NATURALLY perhaps, but with the wrong stuff full of ???.

We are all born with Nicotinic Receptors, just like we are born with an Endocannabinoid System.

Think of home grown tobacco like a metaphorical condom to remove any potential risks that may be introduced into your body without knowledge. Heirloom seeds, your water, your soil, and most importantly, your Love.

My tobacco also comes without pictures of dead and dying people on a packet and saves me about 100 euros per month. I use natural papers and use cardboard rolled DIY filters.

No brainer for me, except not doing it bleedin' years ago. Wisdom doesn't come in packets.

Good luck, and treat yourself calmly to avoid shocking your system if you go full quit. I think the hardest thing you may encounter will be a new sense of Anxiety so please be sensible if you feel the need to compensate with eating, drinking or something else.

Also, don't forget to factor in any relashionships which may need to be aware of what you are trying to do.

Keep us informed and take it easy. cheers.
edit on 3/5/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have tried quitting a few times. First time lasted about 4 hours, last time went for 3 years.

The most important thing is to make that decision to give up and stand by it. It is going to be a mental headbanger for a while as your brain is stuck in a 'give me a smoke' loop. Eventually it fades.

I have tried the patches, gum, inhalers and other stuff. They are not as effective as a strong, firm, NO. The decision to stop is the start, the will power to stay stopped is where it is at. If you fail don't be too hard on yourself, it is not easy and next time you try you will be better prepared for what you are in for.

It was the alcohol that got be back on the smokes again after my last stop.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Probably going on 14 years ago now I was a 40 a day chain smoker.
I was the type to get agitated at the thought of only having 5 smokes left in the pack.
I tried so, so many times to quit, patches, gums, and cold turkey nothing worked for any real length of time.
Vaping was just starting to be a thing, they looked and tasted nothing like the vapes of today.

My wife booked a two-part hypnotherapy session for me to try and I smoked all the way to it and a few more outside the door before I went in.
I had absolutely no faith in it working and was just going through with it and expected to add it to my long list of failed attempts.
I remember being sat in this really comfortable chair with my back to the window with the blinds partially closed and this really pretty young lady sat opposite asking me to close my eye and let my body relax.

As she was talking and my eyes were starting to close I remember becoming very self-conscious and wondering if she was staring at my messy hat hair and thinking I could do with a smoke right now.
She kept on talking but all the while I was talking to myself internally, saying things like this is stupid, you're wasting your time, just get up and tell her it's not working.

After what only seemed like a few minutes she asked me to slowly open my eyes and told me that I was feeling refreshed and full of life. I booked the next session with her, knowing full well I wasn't coming back to go through this bs again, and stepped outside. Instinctively I reached into my jacket and pulled out a smoke and my lighter and do you know what, I didn't light it.
I don't know why I didn't, I just know I didn't feel like it, I can't explain it.

That feeling has never gone away! I will admit I was missing the, doing something with my hands and something in my mouth part of smoking so bought a crappy vape which satisfied that need. I have never suffered a craving or had a weak moment, not one crafty drag on a smoke to this day. Oh, and I didn't go back for the reinforcement session either, never felt the need. I will say though, I do love standing next to someone who is smoking and smelling it.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

This January, I had the first smoke of my own home grown tobacco grown last season. 4 lovely tall and very strong and beautiful Golden Virginia plants.

OMG!

That's what I did as well, my homegrown tobacco is a Louisiana Perique and a burley. I smoked that blend for about a year then switched to strawberry and mango flavored vape sticks. I like to socially smoke with other vapers or smokers even though I don't crave tobacco/nicotine any more. I still grow but give it away to folks that roll their own or smoke a pipe. Horticulture is a rewarding hobby and can save you a lot of money and the plants are beautiful.

edit on 3-5-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I was a 10 year smoker, not quite as much as you 1-1.5packs a day. I found that the nicotine gum worked for me. I would just try to consume less and less of the gums after a few day. Just for example because I can’t recall the exact numbers but let’s say chew 15 pieces a day. After a week or so of that I would then limit my self to 14. After a while at 14 then 13. After a few months I was chewing only 2-3 a day. After I got 1-2 a day I stopped totally.

Another thing I would do would if I craved really badly I would take the money that I was going to buy a pack with and set it aside.(smokes are over 20$ a pack here) after a few such occasions I would have 100+ dollars and it would sink in more clearly just how much cash I dishing out on smokes. Instead of buying smokes with the money I would treat myself to something else, a new game or a nice meal with my wife.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
Well, that is my action plan, but I was interested in how other members here have managed to quit. Could you please share your stories or suggestions? Any feedback on my action plan is welcome.

I think you're way over complicating it.

The only times I (successfully) quit smoking (that lasted for longer than a few minutes, hours or days) was to just quit, cold turkey.

The first time I went to drug rehab, I quit smoking the day I entered, and stayed quit for 6 months, before I started using (and smoking) again. The second (and last) time I went to drug rehab, I didn't quit until 3 days before I left, because I knew if I didn't quit, It would make it ten times harder to stay clean - and I've now been clean/sober (and off the cigs) for 35 years or so...

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeNotAfraid

Don't switch one addiction for another, like vaping lol.

True

One thing that will help is to change your taste-buds by using cinnamon mouthwash or toothpaste, and eating or drinking grapefruit, for example.

Uh, not necessarily.

It's about the habit, the associations, and of course the physical dependence.
edit on 3-5-2023 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Never tried gum, and the patch didn't work.

Chantix worked for me, after 12 years smoking.
edit on 3-5-2023 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join