It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue depicting Buddha found in Egypt

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Nice! Well those crazy Greeks and their Hellenistic hi jinks!

When Alexander went deep into Asia we see the Hellenistic art influencing Buddha Statues and such, like this one IMHO.

Is it any surprise to see this in Egypt, in another enclave of Greeks?

heritagedaily.com: statue-depicting-buddha-found-in-ancient-egyptian-city

During the Roman period, between the 1st and 2nd century AD, the city was one of the primary waystations for the trade of war elephants and exotic goods such as pepper, semi-precious stones, cloth, and ivory, transported between India, Sri Lanka, Arabia, and Upper Egypt. Archaeologists from a joint Polish-American mission have found a 71cm tall statue depicting a standing Buddha while excavating in a temple complex.

edit on 512023 by Butterfinger because: love ya

edit on 512023 by Butterfinger because: I cant spell

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Nice find.

The article states:

Berenice Troglodytica, also known as Berenike, was an Ancient Egyptian seaport on the western shore of the Red Sea, Egypt.

www.heritagedaily.com...

So, it was most likely used as payment in trade for goods at this port.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As in very nice troglodyte ica

Berenice Troglodytica

a reply to: Bishop2199

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Humans and gods have a long history. The bad ones are good and so are the good. The light is always bright.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 04:47 PM
link   

" Statue depicting Buddha "

Hmm ... there was Also One Found in the Grand Canyon along with Egyptian Artifacts ........

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
I've heard this rumor before, has it finally been proven as fact? I've only heard the stories from early newspapers that where always publishing stories of questionable veracity.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: vance

The World has Become the Complete Opposite of Itself . If " They " Say it's Not True , then it Really is True . Welcome to CLOWN WORLD .....

edit on 1-5-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bishop2199

Nice find.

The article states:

Berenice Troglodytica, also known as Berenike, was an Ancient Egyptian seaport on the western shore of the Red Sea, Egypt.

www.heritagedaily.com...

So, it was most likely used as payment in trade for goods at this port.

I would think it was more likely an offering to a temple.

Beautiful piece - though it looks more Roman to my eyes. However, I'm no expert on Roman sculpture so I am content to let the art experts tell us all about it.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Hmm ... there was Also One Found in the Grand Canyon along with Egyptian Artifacts ........

Nope. That's a story from the Fiction section of a newspaper, as Vance said. No Egyptians made it to America before the founding of the United States.

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Where did we all go and what did we have with us. What did we give away and what did we sell. It's unimaginable to know how and what everybody did but I understand it's a possible idea. In case someone wants to consider the idea imagine all of the mysteries earlier Egypt has for us and the structures found there. The question remains if they were able to cross an ocean. So far I haven't heard anything of Egyptian airships but possible alien spacecraft back then. Everybody is marveled by a house standing for centuries there in Egypt. The time spent there must have also been days with sunrise and sunset, cultivation and wisdom. Did they know about Neanderthal and scare their kids with stories at the campfire about paranormal things while laughing about it? Maybe an Obib or who knows who got mad, built himself a ship and sailed off. Who am I to say what the joyous enlightened children of Egypt did.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Untun

I hope this wonderful thread doesn't peter out into the usual argument about 'ancient mysteries' and 'alternative' archaeology. This is actually a tremendously interesting find for those with an interest in the recorded history of the past.

It is not as unexpected as you might think. In the centuries after the Alexandrian conquest of India (331-326BCE), Buddhism spread quite far to the West, all the way to Iran. There were Buddhist monasteries on the shores of the Black Sea during the Ilkhanate (which was, admittedly, a thousand years after Alexander). The idea that there were Romanized Egyptian Buddhists is not at all inconceivable; the Romans were crazy about exotic religions.

Just because ancient peoples were unable to cross the Atlantic doesn’t mean they couldn’t travel other oceans. They did it, obviously, by hugging the coasts. Humans seem to have been trading by sea since the Neolithic era. We know for a fact that maritime trade in the Indian Ocean was well established by 500BC, around the time of the Buddha.

This statue is from a much later period, about a century after Alexander. By then, long-distance seafaring was commonplace in the Old World. Greeks and Romans often visited India, and Pliny records an embassy from Sri Lanka that visited Rome during the reign of the Emperor (admittedly a bit later, 41-54CE). The more I read and learn about our ancient forebears, the more impressed I am. They were a lot cleverer, braver, more tenacious and generally more capable of extraordinary achievement than most of us imagine they were. We really shouldn’t judge them by our own sissy standards.

edit on 4/5/23 by Astyanax because:

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Nope. That's a story from the Fiction section of a newspaper, as Vance said. No Egyptians made it to America before the founding of the United States.

Didn't a lot of that turn out to sort of be a mystery w the finding f the tunnels and artifacts and the writings of thr man that did the several explorations to the caves amd wasn't he w the Smithsonian and then later they denied he existed and then it was found he indeed did etc etc? All these maps drawn etc

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   
wow this just shows you how far the Greeks have expanded and conquered Asia , fascinating.

top topics

join