It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its late you know what it is, 20 injured at a teens party Dadeville Al

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So what groups is it a cultural thing for? Quincinera, but they would have called it that.

Wrong.

A quinceañera celebrates a girl's 15th birthday. Not her 16th.

edit on 16-4-2023 by Boadicea because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Well, the idea is the same - coming of age with a huge party that spends crap tons of money.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well, the idea is the same - coming of age with a huge party that spends crap tons of money.

Except one is for any/all girls celebrating their 16th birthday... the other is specifically for girls in a specific culture/heritage.

But of course you knew that already when you decided to post and invoke that particular culture...

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: infolurker

So are they two maybe possible shooters?

Not sure, but you would expect if there were 2 then they know who both are, they aren't acting as if the is an unknown subject roaming around.

Reports an altercation in the parking lot and they were followed into the dance studio where the shooting took place. FWIW those on the ground looked like 2 boys and four girls, if that is the scene it looked legit.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

So what I do not understand is how these "youths" can post videos and social media posts of themselves with pistols that they in no way could purchase until they are 21 and LE is doing nothing about it.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: elevatedone

Ben Haynes, the senior pastor at First Baptist Church in Dadeville, told ABC News Sunday morning that he'd been at a hospital overnight with the families of those killed and injured.

Haynes said family members told him gunfire erupted inside a small venue where a birthday party was taking place when tempers flared during an argument. Haynes said there were more than 50 people at the party when the shooting occurred.

People arguing... "let's pull a gun and be a bad ass"... Idiots

Yep, nowadays the kids are packin heat and they don't settle it with fisticuffs like the ole days. Unfortunately.

SMH

Prayers for the families and victims.

Yep, the worse I ever got was conked on the head with a glass Coca-Cola bottle. Supposedly 50 kids at the party with that many all it takes is a couple to start arguing. People are hair-triggered now

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Have you been around social media lately? A lady posted how she bought her 3 year old her first gun. Tons of posts showing parents buying young people guns. The Oxford shooter used a gun he was given for Christmas. Heck Lauren Boeberts kid had a gun in his room while doing a TikTok video. Parents think because a kid knows how to use one that they will be responsible. But they are kids! They get stupid at times.

I agree they need harsher punishment for parents who allow access.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We’re told it’s just their culture and wouldn’t understand

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I don't think minors should even be allowed to own a gun.

Any parent(s) that gives their child a gun should be charged with whatever crime their child commits with that gun.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

Have you been around social media lately? A lady posted how she bought her 3 year old her first gun. Tons of posts showing parents buying young people guns. The Oxford shooter used a gun he was given for Christmas. Heck Lauren Boeberts kid had a gun in his room while doing a TikTok video. Parents think because a kid knows how to use one that they will be responsible. But they are kids! They get stupid at times.

Respectfully pure speculation the pictures Ive saw may be one of the guns shown was a rifle that might have been from a parent buying a kid a gun, the handguns were probably stolen. They looked like young wannabe thugs, but that doesn't mean the whole party wasn't just an innocent get-together. Then a rival shows up.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Oh give it a break.

I was just saying that it didn't seem to be a middle class white thing is all; we talk about sweet 16, but we don't tend to throw elaborate parties for one. I knew that Hispanic culture did a coming of age thing, but I didn't actually think this was a Hispanic party. Stop implying because you desparately want me to be racist; it makes you look bad. The only gang that would do something like is maybe MS-13 and they would like respect that sort of thing too much to start crap at one.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You chose to invoke a specific culture -- excuse me, race. You brought race into it. Not me.

I chose to correct the record regarding that specific culture race.

I didn't need to imply anything. Your words said it all.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The story mentioned a Sweet 16 Party, and it was clearly a large affair. I know from experience that this is *not* part of my culture, so I was trying to think of cultures that did have them. Pardon my illiteracy for not recalling the Spanish numerals correctly. I got them wrong, and that's my mistake.

But you're the one who leveled accusations of racism over it, and that's your problem, not mine.

I was basically wondering who throws massive, effing parties at 16. THAT. WAS. IT. End of effing story. But it's good to know you now think someone is racist for not knowing how to count from 10 to 20 in Spanish perfectly when it's not their primary language.

edit on 16-4-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Very sad, a celebration of life turns into this…

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:37 PM
link   

we talk about sweet 16, but we don't tend to throw elaborate parties for one.

I do. Two of my girls already had one, and the other is next month. Middle class white people.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Only if they're not taught properly.

I was given my first gun, an old ww2 vintage Savage 30-30, at age 10, by my father. It hung on a wall, too. Yet, never used it on anything other than deer, and one bear, and lots of paper targets. Not once did I even contemplate using it on a human.

So, too, with all of my friends, and family.

You're being far, far too general.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So, you automatically assume that they're, the kids, are going to misuse a gun??

As I posted above, I had one from a very young age. Not once did I misuse it, or even contemplate doing so.

Why, you ask? Because I was taught properly. As are the vast majority of kids who receive pistols, rifles, and shotguns. By 14, I had all three.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The story mentioned a Sweet 16 Party, and it was clearly a large affair. I know from experience that this is *not* part of my culture, so I was trying to think of cultures that did have them. Pardon my illiteracy for not recalling the Spanish numerals correctly. I got them wrong, and that's my mistake.

But you're the one who leveled accusations of racism over it, and that's your problem, not mine.

I was basically wondering who throws massive, effing parties at 16. THAT. WAS. IT. End of effing story. But it's good to know you now think someone is racist for not knowing how to count from 10 to 20 in Spanish perfectly when it's not their primary language.

"Sweet 16" parties have been notable social affairs since at least the 1950's, especially among the American white Middle class. The significance of a girl's 16th birthday as a sort of "entrance into social life", if not outright "Society" (as would be served as the occasion of a debutante "Coming out", usually at a grand ball), has long been celebrated.

Reference pop singer Neil Sedaka's "Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen".

Debutante Balls were traditionally held to introduce young women of wealthy families to "high society", typically as a way to demonstrate their new eligibility as potential marriage partners.

The "Sweet 16" party severed a similar, if somewhat less formal and mercenary purpose for less well-to-do socio-economic tier families.

The Sweet 16 lost popularity during the 1960's, but seems to have lingered in more traditional areas of the country.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Come on we are just discussing this here, let's not get triggered so easily, especially over typed words where you don't know the infection or emotion behind them. Quit assuming the worse of people.

FWIW the party probably just happened to be the scene where the shooting occurred.

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I mentioned being taught. A lot of kids are taught the right way to do things. Doesn't mean they always will do it the right way. A hormonal or depressed teenager, with access to a gun he purchased? Boeberts kid in his room with a potentially drunk buddy or who is a hothead or wasn't trained? There's tons of instances of both purposeful and accidental shootings by kids who were taught.

Check out this young child at the NRA conference this weekend pointing the gun at someone. That's the first rule you learn not to do.

Twitter
edit on 16-4-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join