It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Black Hawk helicopters crash in Kentucky leaving nine dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Damn saw the report earlier, and had no idea that many were on board. I understand the base and Hopkinsville has a great relationship this will likely hit the town hard.

www.tennessean.com...

Nine soldiers were killed when two U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopters crashed after a medical evacuation exercise near the Kentucky border Wednesday night, military officials said.

The two HH-60 Black Hawk assault helicopters, from the 101st Airborne Division based at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, collided over Trigg County, Kentucky, at about 10 p.m., officials said.

The helicopters were flying in a "multi-ship formation" with personnel using night vision goggles, said Brigadier General John Lobus, the deputy commander of the 101st Airborne Division. There were five people in one helicopter, four in the other.

The crash, in a wooded area near the Tennesee border, remains under investigation. An aviation team from Fort Rucker in Alabama is due to arrive today to review black box data from the aircraft.

The crash is one of the deadliest military training accidents in recent years, Reuters reported.

The Army posted a news release about the crash on Twitter just after 2 a.m. No injuries were reported in residential areas.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said earlier on Twitter that fatalities were expected. Kentucky State Police are assisting Army personnel in recovery efforts.

Beshear said he will travel to Fort Campbell to "support our troops and their families after last night’s tragic incident."

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The military is not healthy.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0

Respectfully let's try not to politicize this thread, I understand the sentiment, however, I left off further comments

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

not good news people.
GOD rest their souls and grant peace unto their grief stricken families
the price of peace has never been cheap
i will raise a beer in their honor this day

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

FWIW that's 3 Black Hawks down in 2 months, there was another one in Huntsville recently. Witnesses reported hearing a pop and two booms

www.armytimes.com...

One witness who lives near the crash site told the outlet they heard “a pop” and “two booms.” Another witness, Trigg County resident Nick Tomaszewski, told local outlet WSMV-TV that he sees helicopters from Fort Campbell pass overhead often, but the two that flew by Wednesday stood out.

“I told my wife, ‘Wow, those look really close tonight’ for whatever reason ... about a minute later, they were coming across and there was a large explosion in the sky almost look like a firework went off. And then the entire tree line lit up.”

Army Times could not independently verify the details of the crash sequence. Inclement weather does not appear to be a factor, according to weather reports at the time of the crash.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Whenever you lose soldiers in a place they're not supposed to be stories like this pop up.

What are the odds the soldiers actually died in Syria or the Ukraine and this is a cover story?

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Respectfully let's try not to politicize this thread, I understand the sentiment, however, I left off further comments

How is that politicizing it? It's literally the reason why it happened. Isn't the WHY part important? There have been 4 different commercial aircraft pilots that have had cardiac events mid flight in the last 2 weeks.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Soldiers doing a difficult job, my God rest their soul’s.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   
They were using NVGs, and were apparently flying extremely close formation prior to the crash. It appears they collided. One had five people on board, the other had four. They were HH-60 variants used for search and rescue and medical evacuation flights.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 04:36 PM
link   

How is that politicizing it? It's literally the reason why it happened. Isn't the WHY part important? There have been 4 different commercial aircraft pilots that have had cardiac events mid flight in the last 2 weeks.

Nope, not gonna argue... you are right, have at it, Scooter

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Nope, not gonna argue... you are right, have at it, Scooter

Do you think I'm wrong? I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Nvm
edit on 3/30/2023 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2023 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I listened to the Military Briefing this morning. Their Commander-in-Chief (Biden) didn't send any condolences. Unreal.

top topics

join