It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let’s normalize roasting people

page: 1

join
share:
+96 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   
For those unfamiliar, a roast is when you savagely point out flaws in someone in a comedic sense.

If it’s comedy, it’s in fun or good intention.

The only way you could really dig at someone is if you truly knew them though. And it would mean you’re thoughtful about who they are as an individual.

We meet each other and exchange pleasantries and court one another for good standings. Often times when we part ways, we again peacock in an attempt for positive impact.

What if when we knew we’d never see each other again we did something invaluable and honestly and fairly roasted one another?

A good and honest effort to in good faith point out things we fear no one in the other persons life had the balls to say.

I leave my job, and me and my boss have an exit interview where we divulge what we’ve been keeping private all along. Rather than be offended, we open our minds to the idea this may come from a place of caring.

What do you all think? Could this be a pay it forward kind of idea with a tinge of masochism?

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
For those unfamiliar, a roast is when you savagely point out flaws in someone in a comedic sense.

The only way you could really dig at someone is if you truly knew them though. And it would mean you’re thoughtful about who they are as an individual.

We meet each other and exchange pleasantries and court one another for good standings. Often times when we part ways, we again peacock in an attempt for positive impact.

What if when we knew we’d never see each other again we did something invaluable and honestly and fairly roasted one another?

A good and honest effort to in good faith point out things we fear no one in the other persons life had the balls to say.

I leave my job, and me and my boss have an exit interview where we divulge what we’ve been keeping private all along. Rather than be offended, we open our minds to the idea this may come from a place of caring.

What do you all think? Could this be a pay it forward kind of idea with a tinge of masochism?

I don't think what you're talking about could be considered a roasting. A roasting is a spiteful thing to pile shame and humiliate someone. I've started to watch a couple of them and found them quite distasteful and mean-spirited. Especially if what you roast the person on was done in the past and hasn't been repeated. Who likes their past sins brought up for nothing more than for someone else's giggles or enjoyment, or to make jabs at you?

A true friend will always point out if you're doing something wrong, because they care about you.There is a Proverb that says that the blows of a friend are truer than the kisses of an enemy.
edit on 24-3-2023 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Sounds like a snowflake way of doing things.
Exit interviews are stupid in my profession atleast.
They are used are a legal way to prosecution or an NDA.
But I do wish they could be used to benefit both parties but it seldom is.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser

I disagree.

I can differentiate if someone is being cruel or honest and fair.

If someone could truly give me pros and cons, I’d appreciate their candor. I find most surface level pleasantries far more combative than honesty. Fakeness is more of a slight to me than any semblance of genuineness.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Never roast your newlywed spouse at your wedding reception.

Never roast marshmallows on a derailment fire.

Never roast the recently deceased at the accident/crime scene.

Never roast a burn victim...

...and never roast a Clinton about 2-bullet suicides.

Those are the rules.
edit on 24-3-2023 by madmac5150 because: Rev 1

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I roast my friends at every opportunity. No holds barred.

If im cordial and polite, it generally equals indifference.

Which is very opposite how I behave online.

People are weird.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You can’t get a laugh out of steffy Graf when you tell her her friends are a bunch of backstabbers.

a reply to: madmac5150

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
You can’t get a laugh out of steffy Graf when you tell her her friends are a bunch of backstabbers.

a reply to: madmac5150

Julius Caesar was the same way.

edit on 25-3-2023 by madmac5150 because: Yarrrr

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 02:44 AM
link   
That recipe from New Guinea you probably shouldn't share.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Some people are kinda weird bro.

They honestly might commit suicide, no joke.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Wrong thread 🤓😁

a reply to: Thrumbo

edit on 25-3-2023 by Dalamax because: Mixmetoasties

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I try to be nice to people.

public figures are a fair target. nobody cares if you roast a Kardashian.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In my experience, very few people have the wisdom, morals or clarity to offer practical and constructive criticism.

But I'm sure lots of people would love the opportunity to verbally beat the crap out of others under guise of "helping" and just being "honest."

posted on Apr, 5 2023 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

It was the best of times....

It was the worst of times..

top topics

join