It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bombs Syrian targets after deadly drone attack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Of course, America should retaliate to any attack on our soldiers, but maybe if we are gonna keep a base in Syria maybe we ought to have better detection and force protection for our bases that have been there since 2015.

Not gonna even go into is the retaliatory strike against random targets or do we have intel on the site targeted. Shouldn't there be anti-air defense systems available? Funny how sanctioned Iran can still drone attack our troops. Not to mention if we can't stop Iranian drones in Syria how are we gonna stop Russian and Iranian drones in Ukraine?

If nothing else have a warning system and underground bunkers by now we have been there 8 fricking years. Protect our troops dammit or is it better to have these little incidences so they can end a bad news cycle with a retaliatory strike? whenever needed.

Hasn't that been the DNC playbook since Clinton hit Bosnia

Am I wrong

www.bbc.com...

The US has carried out air strikes against Iran-linked groups in eastern Syria after a drone attack killed a US contractor, the US defence chief said.

Eight pro-Iran fighters were killed, according to a monitoring group.

Defense officials said the air strikes happened on Thursday night, hours after the drone attack which US intelligence said was "of Iranian origin".

US bases in north-east Syria have come under attack before, with the US responding with air strikes.

About 900 US troops are operating out of bases in southern and eastern Syria, without the permission of the Syrian government, as part of the US-led global coalition against the jihadist group Islamic State (IS).

edit on 24-3-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Seems like there are a whole lot more mercenaries in wars today. That seems to also get around the countries being involved directly this way.

Iran backed? Which somehow leaves Iran untouchable?

We're doing it in Ukraine. Russia's doing it around the world. Paid for freedom fighters must be the way to go.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Of course, America should retaliate to any attack on our soldiers, but maybe if we are gonna keep a base in Syria maybe we ought to have better detection and force protection for our bases that have been there since 2015.

Not gonna even go into is the retaliatory strike against random targets or do we have intel on the site targeted. Shouldn't there be anti-air defense systems available? Funny how sanctioned Iran can still drone attack our troops.

If nothing else have a warning system and underground bunkers by now we have been there 8 fricking years. Protect our troops dammit or is it better to have these little incidences so they can end a bad news cycle with a retaliatory strike? whenever needed.

Am I wrong

What's changed?
In early 1983 a group was sent to check on the security of the US Embassy in Lebanon. While they were there they also checked the security of the Marine Barracks. Suggestions were made to improve security at both places including the use of radio signal generators that would detonate bombs with radio triggers a safe distance away from the Embassy or Barracks. The US State Department refused to allow it. We all know what happened later that year.

In 1986 we were in the Mediterranean. We had a Port Call in Naples Italy. I was in a club at one of the NATO bases and was getting ready to go back to the ship. We were told to stay in the Club because there was a bomb threat in a nearby building. Four hour later we were told that it was clear. EOD had de-fused the BOMB. A few days later, people waiting for the bus that ran between Fleet Landing and the two NATO bases were shot at by a car driving by. There were only minor injuries, no one was hit. The following day I had duty and was assigned as security for THAT bus. I was told to report to the Master at Arms to check out a weapon. What they gave me was a paperweight .45 pistol with the slide tack welded and the magazine welded into the butt. Once again our State Department wouldn't let us protect ourselves.

I won't even go into Benghazi except to say that it is about the only thing that I would defend Hilary Clinton for. The incident itself, not the a$$ covering cover-up that came later.

I'll ask one question. Were our forces in Syria ALLOWED to defend against drone attacks?

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timber13
Seems like there are a whole lot more mercenaries in wars today. That seems to also get around the countries being involved directly this way.

Iran backed? Which somehow leaves Iran untouchable?

We're doing it in Ukraine. Russia's doing it around the world. Paid freedom fighters must be the way to go.

Sounds like forever wars and what entities would want that? Wars are horrible and destructive and incredibly expensive

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It's why the post is in the form of a question JIMC5499, I don't know just a schlub reading the news. I do know we got plenty of former and probably current military here on ATS, such as yourself who usually have a more accurate assessment of the situation.

If only we had a contract with Raytheon seems a couple of these would be all a base would need. Or do we have these and they are deployed elsewhere, protecting other countries' soldiers?

www.raytheonmissilesanddefense.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When Biden ordered a retaliatory strike in Afghanistan to prove how tough he was, we ended up attacking international aid workers because he ordered the strike on shoddy intelligence.

A response is needed, of course, but what did we actually hit?

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Just trying to put some more information out there. At one time it was my butt hanging out there in the breeze and I didn't like it.

I don't know about Raytheon's newest toy. I remember the flap when they realized that the F-14 and the Phalanx system couldn't target a Cessna. I was on a carrier off Lebanon at the time. Several times we had small aircraft flying near us and there was nothing we could do if one of them decided to crash into the ship. They finally decided to have our helicopters fly patrols around the ship so we could try to shoot them down with our M-60's. Spent a lot of hours doing that.

It looks like that system uses radar for targeting. If you want to see something go to YouTube and search for FliteTest. They are making aircraft out of foamcore. You tell me how much of a radar signature those are going to have?

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   

DAMASCUS, Syria -- An Israeli airstrike early Wednesday targeted the international airport in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, causing material damage and putting it out of service, Syria's state news agency reported. It was the second attack on the facility this month.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition war monitor, said that in addition the airport, the airstrike also destroyed a nearby arms depot of Iran-backed militiamen.

[abcnews.go.com...]
So...Iran and Israel are doing a proxy war too?

The airport has been a key channel for the flow of aid into the country after the Feb. 6 earthquake hit Turkey and Syria, killing over 50,000 people, including more than 6,000 in Syria.

It sure seems like a nasty move by Israel to take the opportunity to commence bombing. A lot of lives were needlessly lost over the inability to get aid through.

Human lives don't seem to be a priority in any country if profit can be made over their loss.

The western world is poking a giant hornets' nest, and nobody in the western world seems to want to give diplomatic talks a try.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Ummm...being as the US is there in Syria...Illegally...NO UN mandate...No permission from the Syrian government...

Being as it's just another US invasion of a sovereign nation...in a long line of US invasions of sovereign nations...

Being as The US is just there in Syria to steal oil resources with a pretense of protecting the Kurds...

Perhaps there wouldn't be an issue if the US wasn't illegally occupying Syria...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: putnam6

Not gonna even go into is the retaliatory strike against random targets or do we have intel on the site targeted. Shouldn't there be anti-air defense systems available? Funny how sanctioned Iran can still drone attack our troops.

Am I wrong

What's changed?
In early 1983 a group was sent to check on the security of the US Embassy in Lebanon. While they were there they also checked the security of the Marine Barracks. Suggestions were made to improve security at both places including the use of radio signal generators that would detonate bombs with radio triggers a safe distance away from the Embassy or Barracks. The US State Department refused to allow it. We all know what happened later that year.

In 1986 we were in the Mediterranean. We had a Port Call in Naples Italy. I was in a club at one of the NATO bases and was getting ready to go back to the ship. We were told to stay in the Club because there was a bomb threat in a nearby building. Four hour later we were told that it was clear. EOD had de-fused the BOMB. A few days later, people waiting for the bus that ran between Fleet Landing and the two NATO bases were shot at by a car driving by. There were only minor injuries, no one was hit. The following day I had duty and was assigned as security for THAT bus. I was told to report to the Master at Arms to check out a weapon. What they gave me was a paperweight .45 pistol with the slide tack welded and the magazine welded into the butt. Once again our State Department wouldn't let us protect ourselves.

I won't even go into Benghazi except to say that it is about the only thing that I would defend Hilary Clinton for. The incident itself, not the a$$ covering cover-up that came later.

I'll ask one question. Were our forces in Syria ALLOWED to defend against drone attacks?

This. The State Department has been responsible for so many things like this over the years. It was revealed in congressional testimony a few weeks ago that the 13 servicemembers who died in Afghanistan during the withdrawal died because State Department rules of engagement didn't allow them to stop the suicide bomber before he was in position.

State is full of idiot college kids that think they're gonna save the world with their words. Many of them despise the military and don't care if we die because of their moronic decision-making because "that's what we signed up for."

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

DAMASCUS, Syria -- An Israeli airstrike early Wednesday targeted the international airport in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, causing material damage and putting it out of service, Syria's state news agency reported. It was the second attack on the facility this month.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition war monitor, said that in addition the airport, the airstrike also destroyed a nearby arms depot of Iran-backed militiamen.

[abcnews.go.com...]

The airport has been a key channel for the flow of aid into the country after the Feb. 6 earthquake hit Turkey and Syria, killing over 50,000 people, including more than 6,000 in Syria.

It sure seems like a nasty move by Israel to take the opportunity to commence bombing. A lot of lives were needlessly lost over the inability to get aid through.

Human lives don't seem to be a priority in any country if profit can be made over their loss.

The western world is poking a giant hornets' nest, and nobody in the western world seems to want to give diplomatic talks a try.

Iran and Israel have been in a proxy war for years. It just doesn't get a lot of media attention.

How about blaming Iran for trying to use humanitarian aid workers and supplies as a human shield to funnel more arms to their proxies so they can commit more terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians.

We tried diplomacy with Iran for years. It doesn't work. Diplomacy only works when both sides are trying to negotiate in good faith. If one side goes into it with the only intention of exploiting the negotiations, you get disastrous results like the JCPOA.
edit on 24 3 23 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is akin to kicking a hornets nest then blaming the hornets when you get stung.

This "contractor" has been working with terrorist organizations to try and destabilize a sovereign county that just suffered a catastrophic earthquake...

These people are human scum who leave a path of death and destruction in their wake.

Good riddance I say...

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

You have that right.
In 1983 I was in Turkey waiting to join up with my squadron. Well they got held up at a little place called Grenada. When the Marine Barracks was bombed, several of us were flown down by helicopter to assist. The squadron I was attached to was flying injured Marines from the Barracks out to the ship for medical care. As we flew by a large building, we kept getting ground fire. We asked to be able to carry weapons so that we could suppress that fire and were denied permission. Thankfully who ever was shooting at us was a bad shot, they only hit the tail boom a couple of times.
I found out a bit later that the people shooting at us were from Europe. They were on a package tour, to raise funds for the PLO. All of the alcohol, drugs, boys or girls they could want. If they wanted to, they would be given an automatic rifle and ammo so that they could shoot at people on the ground or those pesky US Navy helicopters. I saw some info that the kids of Europe's power elite were part of those tours. That was the main reason we couldn't return fire. That and the fact that the other side of the building was where ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and the rest of the media covering Lebanon were staying. The same SD clowns who wouldn't let them secure the Barracks or Embassy, wouldn't let us defend ourselves.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Are we officially at war with anyone ?

I don't recall hearing we went to war with Syria so why are we bombing if we are using our military to attack targets then that's war ...
edit on 24-3-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Which Syrian Government? I believe that at this time there is more than one.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   
lmfao.

only reason there are bases there, to protect the gl0balist skumbag w-e-f c0rporations setting up shop there.
smedley butler explained it, 100 years later, the SAME 'internati0nalists' still pulling their nonsense.

if only people stopped listening to the 'internati0nalists' no more waars, no more taxxmen, no more taxxes, no more strife...

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: drongosrevenge
lmfao.

only reason there are bases there, to protect the gl0balist skumbag w-e-f c0rporations setting up shop there.
smedley butler explained it, 100 years later, the SAME 'internati0nalists' still pulling their nonsense.

if only people stopped listening to the 'internati0nalists' no more waars, no more taxxmen, no more taxxes, no more strife...

Do you honestly believe if there were no more wars you wouldn't be taxed anymore?

I've got news for you, only about 15 or 20 cents of every dollar you pay in taxes goes to defense, and only a small percentage of that goes to war. Most of your tax money goes to social spending.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Just trying to put some more information out there. At one time it was my butt hanging out there in the breeze and I didn't like it.

I don't know about Raytheon's newest toy. I remember the flap when they realized that the F-14 and the Phalanx system couldn't target a Cessna. I was on a carrier off Lebanon at the time. Several times we had small aircraft flying near us and there was nothing we could do if one of them decided to crash into the ship. They finally decided to have our helicopters fly patrols around the ship so we could try to shoot them down with our M-60's. Spent a lot of hours doing that.

It looks like that system uses radar for targeting. If you want to see something go to YouTube and search for FliteTest. They are making aircraft out of foamcore. You tell me how much of a radar signature those are going to have?

Hope you know I'm not trying to be argumentative.

I have no doubt you Zaphod, 727Sky, and lots of other vets here know the situation better than I ever will. If I haven't said so before BTW thank you for your service, we just had a family member redeployed, long after we thought he would ever have to go. It's for a year but thankfully it's not in a hot zone, yet...

In times like these my default mode is we can't stop our dumbass government so at least protect our damn troops as best as we possibly can with whatever we have in our arsenal. One would think if we have been on the ground in Syria since 2015 somebody should have asked if it would be a good idea to have radar and defense systems. If the scenario you describes is occurring in Syria, where they have figured out how to make radar-invisible drones out of foam cores and carbon fiber. That doesn't bode well for our troops anywhere. I just suspect our best detection and weapons systems have been sent elsewhere. It's even worse if they have been told to not defend themselves from an incoming attack they can see coming.

Not to be melodramatic cause I hate that #, but it would seem 3 of our biggest threats have learned to defeat the world's best military air defense systems at home and abroad with easily made weather balloons and foam-core drones.

While that's unlikely of course it sounds as if more possible than we have been led to believe. I just thought any unauthorize base in Syria would have to be defended and armed to the teeth.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

[abcnews.go.com...]

That bothered me as well Nugget, I'd like to think Israel had actionable intelligence to do something so questionable for humanitarian reasons, it puts so many innocent earthquake victims at risk.

for perspective, innocent Ukrainian killed in the war 8000 plus, innocent Syrians killed in the earthquake 10,000 plus

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Biden, or I should say his puppet masters WANT a war.

This looks like a safe place for it that won't involve Russia or China.

Why do they want a war, because I can almost guarantee the US will be at war for the 2024 election cycle?

Because in the history of the US, no war time President (no matter how senile, weak, infirm, incompetent) has ever failed to be re-elected in the US.

The videos that can be run in the 2024 election cycle of senile rambling lost Jo Bi Dun are so numerous in scope that even the puppet masters can't hide his senility any longer. So how to keep him President so they have control for 4 more years to totally destroy the US economy and to institute the totalitarian authoritarianism they are so obviously working toward? War, a nearly sure bet.

edit on 3/24/23 by The2Billies because: spelling

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join