It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Ready to Give College Kids A Break?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: SecrettoSociety

How much you owe on those Pell grants is what has changed.

There is no repayment on a grant. That's why it's a grant. Loans are repaid, usually with interest.

As I said, I went to school until 2016, 28 years after Reagan left office. I received a Pell grant every year. I never paid back one dime, nor was I ever asked to. I was never asked to sign anything that included payment options. You have some facts miscombobulated somewhere.

And that's the fact, Jack.

TheRedneck
You need a income in the poverty range to qualify for a Pell grant , as well be a full time student. The max Pell grant will only cover 1/3 to 1/4 of a State school tuition per year. Also if you receive any other financial aid , you are DQed from your Pell grant . So if you are poor you can get a Pell grant , but you won’t be able to work , because you need to be a full time student to qualify & a full credit year of college is a ton of work. Pell grants in the 70s through the mid 80s covered 80% of a recipient’s tuition. After Reagan gutted federal education monies that percentage began falling off a cliff & today the max Pell grant pays less than 30% of a tuition on average. So in 40 years Pell grants lost 50% of their value, tuitions have tripled or more , and only the poor are eligible. Pell grants were available to the poor & middle class years ago , now only the poor are eligible. The Middle class can’t afford school , so they take out loans.
Pell grants were gutted by Reagan as were guaranteed student loan programs

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Dalamax

Give me a potter before I’ll take a teacher.

Mo fo’s teach children garbage because it’s in a curriculum. What a farce of a profession.

Where do children usually learn the art of ceramics? Usually from a teacher in school. Ironic...

I wonder if this rightwing anti teacher, anti school issue will fly with middle American families where both parents work outside the home.
Schools are just state supported baby sitters anyway. Students that want to learn; the opportunities are there; most don't, they are stupid like their parents.

Funny. I learnt pottery from a potter. If multi generational family units were still in vogue kids could be babysat by their grandparents and taught at home.

I for one would prefer monetary incentive was funneled to that sort of care giver then some putz trying to teach nonsense to a room of 30 disinterested kids. They may be young but most can tell sh!t from clay.

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 02:31 AM
link   

All I know is that I went back to school, under a WIA scholarship (Clinton initiative), and was able to also get a Pell grant, food stamps, and also worked as a tutor at the college... while drawing unemployment for being laid off (which made me eligible for WIA). After getting the WIA degree (Applied Associate) and having no luck getting a job in that field, I secured a merit scholarship based on my grades during the WIA plan and kept my Pell grant.

That finished off my first two years in Electrical Engineering at the community college. I applied for and was accepted for the automatic transfer plan to a full University, as well as a scholarship for that University. I then completed my last two years, with duel-enrollment into Masters level classes, on a combination of scholarships and Pell grants.

I finally graduated with honors (Magna Cum Laude, one point shy of Suma Cum Laude) and had to struggle through another year and a half of my Masters program on only an intern position. Then the heart attacks started and I had to drop out.

I am a REDNECK. You know, we're supposed to all be dumb, toothless, mouth-breathing inbreds. And I did it debt free, while married with kids. Are you telling me you are less able to get a college education than a REDNECK?

I don't know what Reagan did with the Pell Grant program, but I know what I personally experienced. I was hoping you could give me better specifics, but it is starting to appear like you just have a grudge against Reagan. You have made a few completely false statements already, so without those specifics I will have to conclude that you just don't like Reagan and want to blame him for something.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 03:24 AM
link   

All I know is that I went back to school, under a WIA scholarship (Clinton initiative), and was able to also get a Pell grant, food stamps, and also worked as a tutor at the college... while drawing unemployment for being laid off (which made me eligible for WIA). After getting the WIA degree (Applied Associate) and having no luck getting a job in that field, I secured a merit scholarship based on my grades during the WIA plan and kept my Pell grant.

That finished off my first two years in Electrical Engineering at the community college. I applied for and was accepted for the automatic transfer plan to a full University, as well as a scholarship for that University. I then completed my last two years, with duel-enrollment into Masters level classes, on a combination of scholarships and Pell grants.

I finally graduated with honors (Magna Cum Laude, one point shy of Suma Cum Laude) and had to struggle through another year and a half of my Masters program on only an intern position. Then the heart attacks started and I had to drop out.

I am a REDNECK. You know, we're supposed to all be dumb, toothless, mouth-breathing inbreds. And I did it debt free, while married with kids. Are you telling me you are less able to get a college education than a REDNECK?

I don't know what Reagan did with the Pell Grant program, but I know what I personally experienced. I was hoping you could give me better specifics, but it is starting to appear like you just have a grudge against Reagan. You have made a few completely false statements already, so without those specifics I will have to conclude that you just don't like Reagan and want to blame him for something.

TheRedneck
Look up the inverse square of college debt from Reagan forward . Your Pell grants were awarded to you based on your low income. If you would have been 2 dollars over the poverty limit those grants would have been closed to you . I applaud your efforts & accomplishments if factual ?
Im retired & not in need of an education on my dime or anyone else’s .
So you believe that college debt is not out of control & Pell grants are the answer for debt free schooling ?
As I said before, Pell grants use to cover 80% of college costs & in 40 years it is less than 30% ?
So what happened from 1972-2023 ? Reagan happened is the answer. From Reagan to present college has increased 180% in costs , Pell grants have become extremely strict in qualifying & they lost 50% of their value when weighed against the ridiculous State ran college tuition fees .
In State tuition for State colleges ranges from 8k to 15k per year in tuition without housing , transportation, food , clothing & healthcare financial responsibilities.
Yes I do have great issue with Reagan, as nothing ever changes for the poor or the wealthy. It’s the middle class ( largest group) that received the biggest kick in the teeth mid 80s that has now turned the middle class into the working poor . The middle class pay for the poor & get charged for the bailouts of the wealthy.
Prior to Reagan Americans had more a chance at the American dream . Our education system from K-College is completely broken.
Reagan was not a friend to the working people of America & it was his salvo that put the inevitable ship sinking holes in the hull of middle class Americans.
Everything post Reagan has been the corporate oligarch’s plans for you & I via college , medical care & our benefit barren jobs .
Peace & God Bless RedNeck

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   

No, I'm not going to look up anything. You've given me nothing worthwhile to look up. All you've done in the last three posts is make a political statement that is in direct opposition to everything I experienced... no links, no specific figures, no quotes, nothing. And now you question my honesty. "If factual?"

It is up to you to show me where my experiences are unique, not up to me to prove my disbelief. You have not presented the first piece of evidence to support that. That makes you just another political hack speaking out of pure anger.

I was serious when I asked you for clarification. I had accepted that, OK, maybe Reagan did do something to screw up student economics for most. I gave you tat benefit of the doubt. You have done nothing since to demonstrate that benefit of the doubt was deserved, so I am taking it back. I prefer to talk reality.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecrettoSociety
How much you owe on those Pell grants is what has changed. A person prior to Reagan & David Stockman could pay for college with a summer job & cheap cheap student loans. Those days are long gone my friend. Student debt started with Reagan . We have more student debt in America than the rest of the world combined. American student debt is nearing 2 TRILLION dollars in 2023 .
Yes grants have always been available , but Reagan stopped subsidies to colleges & thus zero government say in college costs .
That’s the truth Ruth

You actually have that wrong. Student debt started under Clinton. After the end of Desert Storm the Montgomery GI Bill came into wide spread use. Clinton changed the amount that students NOT covered in the GI Bill could borrow.

Do you know how Spring Break came about? It came right after the 2nd disbursement of Student Loans and Student Aid. The actual expenses for college were paid off in the 1st disbursement. Students starting maxing out their loans to have money to go to Spring Break.

I can remember being asked for my notes by those who missed classes to go.
edit on 21-3-2023 by JIMC5499 because: typo

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If the argument is since we are overspending money we dont' have on ABC why don't we also overspend on XYZ. My answer will always be no, and that all the overspending should stop immediately. Our debt will never recover and the dollar will continue to be devalued in the world market.

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Pell grants are easier to get than you seem to think.
My ex has 2 degrees, thanks to them.
Early & mid 90's.

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   

No, I'm not going to look up anything. You've given me nothing worthwhile to look up. All you've done in the last three posts is make a political statement that is in direct opposition to everything I experienced... no links, no specific figures, no quotes, nothing. And now you question my honesty. "If factual?"

It is up to you to show me where my experiences are unique, not up to me to prove my disbelief. You have not presented the first piece of evidence to support that. That makes you just another political hack speaking out of pure anger.

I was serious when I asked you for clarification. I had accepted that, OK, maybe Reagan did do something to screw up student economics for most. I gave you tat benefit of the doubt. You have done nothing since to demonstrate that benefit of the doubt was deserved, so I am taking it back. I prefer to talk reality.

TheRedneck
Your ideas don’t reflect reality at all . I gave you multiple stats . Even if I provided you with a link , telephone numbers , addresses & videos , you would walk around them looking for your own path to identity bound in ideological construct .
If you think 1.9 trillion in current student debt in America is a success & grants/loans are helpful, then Im done talking to you on this matter .
Im glad your Pell grants worked out for you .
Remember that Pell grants go to people who have a family income of 20k or less & the vast majority of poor wind up dropping out of school, because of financial or life problems which results in a DQ of the Pell grant & they are served a bill .
Pell grants after Reagan became a round about debt to the majority of recipients, due to the socioeconomics of poor people on a whole .
Truth & the desire to be coddled in a delusion reside on different planets of reason .
Even Lionel Asbo knew thatb

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: SecrettoSociety
How much you owe on those Pell grants is what has changed. A person prior to Reagan & David Stockman could pay for college with a summer job & cheap cheap student loans. Those days are long gone my friend. Student debt started with Reagan . We have more student debt in America than the rest of the world combined. American student debt is nearing 2 TRILLION dollars in 2023 .
Yes grants have always been available , but Reagan stopped subsidies to colleges & thus zero government say in college costs .
That’s the truth Ruth

You actually have that wrong. Student debt started under Clinton. After the end of Desert Storm the Montgomery GI Bill came into wide spread use. Clinton changed the amount that students NOT covered in the GI Bill could borrow.

Do you know how Spring Break came about? It came right after the 2nd disbursement of Student Loans and Student Aid. The actual expenses for college were paid off in the 1st disbursement. Students starting maxing out their loans to have money to go to Spring Break.

I can remember being asked for my notes by those who missed classes to go.
I agree , but itvwas Reagan who shoved the largest rock into the sinking boats of students.

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The "student's" boat wasn't sinking when Regan was in office.

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Your ideas don’t reflect reality at all .

I have presented no ideas. I have presented experiences.

You have presented ideas, and ignored experiences.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I have to disagree with you on this one.

I am not against young people getting a leg up. But I am against letting them off the hook for loans they took out knowing the terms of the loan meant paying it back. Its a loan - not a gift. I don't think tax payers should have to shoulder that burden. I also don't think tax payers should be funding the war in Ukraine. And I don't think tax payers should be bailing out the banks whose only problem was lack of foresight and poor management.

If we are going to go that far with tax payer money, then we should be bailing out every failed business in this country, paying off every loan, forgiving every debt, etc. Why just banks and student loans? Pay off my mortgage so I don't have to. Let me buy a really nice car I can't afford and force the tax payers to make the payments on it for me. What is the difference between that and me paying off a student loan for some kid I never met?

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Your ideas don’t reflect reality at all .

I have presented no ideas. I have presented experiences.

You have presented ideas, and ignored experiences.

TheRedneck
You qualified for a Pell grant, how is that even relevant to the light & space of student debt in America. You get an award for getting a grant. Awesome 👏🏼

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

The "student's" boat wasn't sinking when Regan was in office.
Boats don’t sink immediately , but Reagan put the largest holes in the hull .

posted on Mar, 21 2023 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I also worked, kept my grades up so I qualified for scholarships, and pinched pennies. I am just saying there are other ways to get an education than just loans. Loans are just the easiest... until one has to repay them.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 22 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I also worked, kept my grades up so I qualified for scholarships, and pinched pennies. I am just saying there are other ways to get an education than just loans. Loans are just the easiest... until one has to repay them.

TheRedneck
I agree , listen Im not as smart as I think I am , and there are many problems in society that have been created by all walks of politicians, but there needs to be a slide back to higher taxes & better social opportunities for all . Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join