It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Ready to Give College Kids A Break?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Law is productive? Brick laying is productive. Carpentry is productive.

Hell, MD is productive?

Oh. You mean lucrative.

Well strike me blind if those same MD didn’t just spent a couple of years spit polishing a turd for big
Pharma.

Give me a potter before I’ll take a teacher.

Mo fo’s teach children garbage because it’s in a curriculum. What a farce of a profession.

a reply to: M5xaz

edit on 18-3-2023 by Dalamax because: Autocorrect was incorrect

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Mo fo’s teach children garbage because it’s in a curriculum. What a farce of a profession.

Where do children usually learn the art of ceramics? Usually from a teacher in school. Ironic...

I wonder if this rightwing anti teacher, anti school issue will fly with middle American families where both parents work outside the home.
Schools are just state supported baby sitters anyway. Students that want to learn; the opportunities are there; most don't, they are stupid like their parents.

edit on 18-3-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Law is productive? Brick laying is productive. Carpentry is productive.

Hell, MD is productive?

Oh. You mean lucrative.

Well strike me blind if those same MD didn’t just spent a couple of years spit polishing a turd for big
Pharma.

Yes trades are valuable, not arguing that.

Just making the point that bitches that whine about their college loan payments are usually the idiots with feminism or similar basket weaving degrees, as these do not lead to a job or productive role in society or means to pay back the loan.

Cheers
edit on 18-3-2023 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Just making the point that bitches that whine about their college loan payments are usually the idiots with feminism or similar basket weaving degrees, as these do not lead to a job or productive role in society or means to pay back the loan.

Actually the degrees that people point out that are "useless" are actually the ones that make the most money.
Basket weaving is joked about but it referes to textile degrees and it's actually quite promising. One of the top art schools offer it and I guarantee you those students not only aren't whining about their loan payments. I am in a circle with a lot of profession artists and they are some of the richest people I know and we all laugh about the term starving artist. Some people really still believe that.

Studies in feminism often refer to jobs in mental health, HR, Diversity. These jobs are always recruiting.

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   
OK, now that I have a little time...

a reply to: JAGStorm

It’s the very catch 22 system where there are entire cities that rely on students. Teachers, Pensions, Housing, Shops, Restaurants, Stores, Rentals, Hotels… I could go on all day.

Yes, that's a problem. But you don't fix one problem by starting another. You look at the cause of that one problem and fix it... otherwise, you wind up only postponing the first problem and now having another one.

The problem you speak of is caused by parents who raise kids who never learn the value of a dollar. Sure, stores and suppliers are going to pop up around schools... why wouldn't they? All that money in the hands of fools who are just looking for a way to spend it. The college scene itself is packed with kids who think they more they spend, the better they are... and that is actually closer to the exact opposite.

Look, college isn't supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a sacrifice. That's what makes it valuable. Have you ever seen kids when their parents got them that new shiny car for their 16th birthday? I remember seeing them when I was in high school... I drove a beat-up, ragged-out '67 VW Beetle that I had to keep running myself. And run it did! It might not have looked like much, but it always got me where I needed to be. I also never wrecked it, because I knew that as much as I had to go through to get this old car, I sure wasn't getting another one any time soon.

Those kids with the new Mustangs? Wrecked within a year. Complain, cry, whine, and they get another car. Wrecked within a year. Complain, cry, whine, and they get another car... well, the ones that actually survived the accidents anyway. They also had no idea what to do if it ever broke down... while I could rebuild the damn motor in mine sitting on the roadside and still be home in time for supper!

Value is based on sacrifice and scarcity.... not on money. The kid who has to struggle and scrimp and scratch his way to that degree will value that degree. The kid who gets it handed to him will consider it just another shiny trinket in a life of shiny trinkets. Forgiving a loan that a kid took with eyes wide open just because he's having a hard time paying it back is destroying the value of his education.

I will add that the student loan program needs to be revamped. I have suggested before that colleges be limited in the loans they could offer to academic subjects that have a likelihood of landing a job that will pay for the loan. Also, the college should shoulder the financial burden if they produce students who cannot pay their loans back, not the taxpayers. Instead of the government underwriting the student loans, the schools should be required to underwrite the loans, even though the money can be issued via grant to the schools. Then the loan payments can be capped at 10% of a student's salary. Underwrite too many bad loans for students who do not cut the mustard or for degrees that are worthless, and the colleges will lose money... and that will fix the loan problem. Colleges do not like to lose money.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I failed to mention around half the students are in college because they want another 4 years to party and live off mom and dad. PHD students often turn that in to a decades long gig. The world of work is scary and the competition cutthroat with the bosses short tempered and customers even worse. High schools need to be preparing kids more for the reality of the working world than trying to graduate everyone so no one has hurt feelings.

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

PHD students often turn that in to a decades long gig. The world of work is scary

One of the reasons it takes so long to get a Phd. is because most candidates need to work a real scary job at the same time.

I was lucky... my Dr. first wife paid for mine and also my MS. I worked nights/summers during my BA years.

Curious though, I never used my degrees for my profession. But who I met at Univ. made all the difference.

In todays world I would have stressed technology for education rather than my Phd. in underwater basket weaving and deep dive into hedonism.

edit on 18-3-2023 by olaru12 because: syntax

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Actually the degrees that people point out that are "useless" are actually the ones that make the most money.
Basket weaving is joked about but it referes to textile degrees and it's actually quite promising. One of the top art schools offer it and I guarantee you those students not only aren't whining about their loan payments. I am in a circle with a lot of profession artists and they are some of the richest people I know and we all laugh about the term starving artist. Some people really still believe that.

Studies in feminism often refer to jobs in mental health, HR, Diversity. These jobs are always recruiting.

Well, perhaps in your exceptionnal little world not connected to the real world, but not in real life:
www.cnbc.com...#:~:text=of%20New%20York-,Data%20as%20of%20Feb.,a%20median%20salary%20of%20%2443%2C000 .
www.cnbc.com...#:~:text=Engineering%20majors%20also%20make%20the,all%20majors%2C%20which%20is%20%24 75%2C000.

Besides, if most art degree/liberal art/feminism/garbage basket weaving degree graduates were making tons of money, like you dubiously claim, they would not be out protesting and whining to get their student loans paid off now, would they ?
Logic fail.

Engineers rarely/never participate in dingbat protests because we're too busy WORKING

edit on 18-3-2023 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
We have spent untold sums on Ukraine.

Now I’m 100% convinced we will cover the losses for the banks going under and any future ones…

So, do you still think we shouldn’t give our kids a break with their college debt?

Isn’t it funny how people won’t say a peep when it’s something not in their circle of status, like Ukraine (Oh that’s just how the government works) or big banks (Oh the rich always get their way).

But when it is our kids, OUR KIDS, All of OUR KIDS, all of a sudden everyone has a FIGHT in them. Man, they have us brainwashed good.
I know why too, people just can’t see someone of their status get something they didn’t get. “It isn’t FAIR”.
They can’t stand to see someone, even a young person get a leg up. It’s pretty sick when you think about it. In the past people would have done
Anything to give the youth a leg up.

The question shouldn’t even be why are we paying off debt for students, the question should be whey there is debt in the first place?
Who decided 12th grade was enough? You know in other countries college is no cost or low cost and it seems to work just fine.

They have us squabbling for dry bread crumbs when the true riches are being squandered right in front of our eyes!

You can thank Reagan for school debts today .

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

If anything is brainwashing us besides the government these days, it's our colleges. These kids come out thinking they're so bright and intelligent (many love to brag about it), but can't even get a job to pay their loans back.
You really have a narrow idea of how Millennials & Gen Z were lied & stolen from .
I was born in the late 60s & can tell you that Reagan was the start of the end in America

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The young people that majored in engineering, medicine, mathematics, etc. are, or have already paid off their student loans. The ones who majored in gender studies, politics, underwater basket weaving and the like are the ones having trouble paying. Go figure! So, with that observation, I say hell no. Short-sightedness in selection of a field of study and ultimate goals are inexcusable. Fluff majors are for students that can pay up front and in cash. All others had better have a plan.

And, majoring in pshycology for the sole purpose of learning how to manipulate others is a guaranteed show stopper.
edit on 20-3-2023 by DeepBass because: Spell check, and I still can't spell.

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Actually, it was Kennedy.a reply to: SecrettoSociety

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepBass
Actually, it was Kennedy.a reply to: SecrettoSociety

Kennedy didn’t take away the Guaranteed Student Loans or Pell grants , those were done in by Reagan. Please inform us as to how JFK abused college kids ?

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SecrettoSociety

I got a Pell Grant and had loans available to me every single year I attended college. That was up until 2016. Who put them back?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

There's worthless degrees. When I went for my Engineering degree I had a Graduate Student that was teaching an English Class. He was a total jerk to me because I was a Vet. He was teaching to help pay for his Master's Degree in Romance Languages. I couple of years after graduation, I stopped at a drive thru coffee shop and guess who was working the window?

The College that I attended disbanded it's Engineering Program because the Engineering Students (mostly people working a full time job and attending classes) intimidated the snowflakes in the Liberal Arts programs.

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I got a Pell Grant and had loans available to me every single year I attended college. That was up until 2016. Who put them back?

TheRedneck
How much you owe on those Pell grants is what has changed. A person prior to Reagan & David Stockman could pay for college with a summer job & cheap cheap student loans. Those days are long gone my friend. Student debt started with Reagan . We have more student debt in America than the rest of the world combined. American student debt is nearing 2 TRILLION dollars in 2023 .
Yes grants have always been available , but Reagan stopped subsidies to colleges & thus zero government say in college costs .
That’s the truth Ruth

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 07:43 PM
link   

How much you owe on those Pell grants is what has changed.

There is no repayment on a grant. That's why it's a grant. Loans are repaid, usually with interest.

As I said, I went to school until 2016, 28 years after Reagan left office. I received a Pell grant every year. I never paid back one dime, nor was I ever asked to. I was never asked to sign anything that included payment options. You have some facts miscombobulated somewhere.

And that's the fact, Jack.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If they wanted to restrict it to purely degree's that actually benefit society, you could make a decent argument.

Under water basket weaving, DEI, gender studies oh heck no, their bad choices do not make this important or an emergency to me.

They could have done an apprenticeship in a trade skill then gone for a degree, join the military active, guard, or reserve, done online or community college and worked two jobs like many used to do.

They wanted the experience of college piss on that, you ran up your debt you pay your debt.

had a bad year, ran up more debt than me and the wife wanted, asked my dad for advice he asked if we wanted help I said no. I have avenues to get out of the debt the trick is finding the one that hurts the least.

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I couple of years after graduation, I stopped at a drive thru coffee shop and guess who was working the window?

lots of graduates / degree holders are working entry level jobs and mid level jobs that have nothing to do with what they majored and got a degree for.

before i retried early due to heath i was making six figures after starting work at 3.35 a hr as a industrial commercial service tech / electrician doing both mechanical and electrical work washing parts in the shop. yeah there was lean years and a lot of working long hard hours and overtime. but i wasn't worrying about paying off a hundred thousand dollars or better worth of debt for schooling i'd never be able to use. my money was mine to spend and go into debt if i wanted on things i could enjoy.

i'm like mike rowe, everybody can't be a lawyer, cpa doctor, or any of the fancy schmancy Romance Language professors. there only so many of those jobs out there, well maybe right now there might be a bunch due to the world shutdown due to the fakedemic. but sooner or later those jobs will be all filled. meanwhile somebody has to repair stuff be it plumbing, electrical, carpentry, auto mechanic, in other word blue collar jobs. a skilled person in these kind of fields can bring in really decent income, some have even been able to write their own ticket and rake in some big bucks.

side note, we always use to say every Engineer, when hired by a machine manufacturer should be required to spend at least five years in the field repairing the machine they build before being allowed to design one. then some of them wouldn't put stuff where it's don't belong or really servers no purpose or when a relay can do would a circuit board does, and make it easier to repair.

edit on 20-3-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join