It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The continent of Oceania WTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So Im watching random videos on my phone and on this one a guy is just walking around asking people random questions and offering money if they get it right .The question has me questioning everything

It was what continent is the most populated with multiple choice and of course Im so smart I blurted out Asia before he could list the choices

Well the choices were Asia , Europe , North America and Oceania..

I said Oceania WTF is Oceania ? Why would that be a choice ?

So I googled it and apparently half the world considers Oceania a continent . Im 50 years old, Im educated , My whole life the continents are North and South America , Europe , Asia ,Antarctica, Africa and Australia

How is it possible I have never heard of Oceania? I mean we dont use the metric system but Ive heard of that

Im pretty sure were in a different timeline , maybe
edit on 17-3-2023 by ohhchongo because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ohhchongo

Eurasia always has been at war with Oceania.

Did you not participate in the 2 minute hates with Big Brother ?
Or are you a subversive supporter of Goldstein ?

We are living now in 1984...or close to it...

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Eurasia always has been at war with Oceania.

Did you not participate in the 2 minute hates with Big Brother ?
Or are you a subversive supporter of Goldstein ?

We are living now in 1984...or close to it...

I have not seen 1984 since about 1988 or so . So until I googled it I had forgotten that Oceania completely

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If I hadda guess.. Oceania would be australia, new Zealand, and the "lost continent", that is in that area.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
If I hadda guess.. Oceania would be australia, new Zealand, and the "lost continent", that is in that area.

Yes But we shouldnt have to guess .

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 02:36 AM
link   

This region is also referred to as Australia & Oceania. I'm familiar with both continental terms.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Yeah Australia is a country, Oceania used to be called Australasia but changed when I was still at school to be a more inclusive/ representative name.

So has been called that since late 70's/ 80's.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 02:45 AM
link   

New Zealand is just the parts of the (mostly submerged) continent of Zealandia that stick out above the water.

Zealandia - Wikipedia

I think Oceania includes most of the South Pacific islands and countries; Australasia, Zealandia, Antarctica (although some exclude it), Papua New Guinea (which is arguably part of Zealandia), Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia (including Hawaii).

Oceania is a geographic region and not a continent.

edit on 17/3/2023 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 04:11 AM
link   

It's a well known fact outside the USA that for being the world police your average citizens are badly educated in geography...

But I guess that is a Mandela effect too... It's so much easier than to confront oneself having been lied to and only now realizing how little you know.

It's also easier to manipulate people into wars when they have a very limited understanding of the world around them.
you've been a good citizen

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Interesting that, according to wikipedia:

While in most of the English-speaking world Oceania is described as a geographical region, outside of the English-speaking world Oceania is described as one of the continents

en.wikipedia.org...

I've never heard it referred to as a continent - and geologically it certainly is not one.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

While in most of the English-speaking world Oceania is described as a geographical region, outside of the English-speaking world Oceania is described as one of the continents

en.wikipedia.org...

I've never heard it referred to as a continent - and geologically it certainly is not one.

Yes but Oceania identifies as a continent and thats all that matters, and we should change our definitions to include them as such

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

New Zealand is just the parts of the (mostly submerged) continent of Zealandia that stick out above the water.

Zealandia - Wikipedia

I think Oceania includes most of the South Pacific islands and countries; Australasia, Zealandia, Antarctica (although some exclude it), Papua New Guinea (which is arguably part of Zealandia), Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia (including Hawaii).

Oceania is a geographic region and not a continent.

This is what I was taught as well...

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes but Oceania identifies as a continent and thats all that matters, and we should change our definitions to include them as such

Pronouns matter .

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz
My memory tells me there were three states, switching alliances at random. I would have to look it up, but I have a suspicion that Oceania was either the British Commonwealth, over againsst Eurasia and the Americas (which is one way of dividing the world of 1948), or another word for the Americas.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
My memory tells me there were three states, switching alliances at random. I would have to look it up, but I have a suspicion that Oceania was either the British Commonwealth, over againsst Eurasia and the Americas (which is one way of dividing the world of 1948), or another word for the Americas.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   
AH- The Americas PLUS the British Commonwealth. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

It's a well known fact outside the USA that for being the world police your average citizens are badly educated in geography...

But I guess that is a Mandela effect too... It's so much easier than to confront oneself having been lied to and only now realizing how little you know.

It's also easier to manipulate people into wars when they have a very limited understanding of the world around them.
you've been a good citizen

your name is a literal reference to getting high.

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have always refered to the continent Australia Tasmania and New Zealand are on as oceana…well to be precise, I say Australia AND Oceana.
edit on 3/17/2023 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2023 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

I've heard of the region being called Oceania, but I've never heard it being called a continent before. That sort of implies landmass, and Oceania is anything but. It's just a loose confederation of islands with some cultural and ethnic similarities in its indigenous peoples.

posted on Mar, 18 2023 @ 03:28 AM
link   
pretty sure the International Astronomers Union (IAU) reclassified Oceania as a "Dwarf Continent"... /s

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join