It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant seaweed blob twice the width of the USA headed towards Florida

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   
More rare Mother nature shenanigans.

www.foxnews.com...

A giant seaweed bloom – so large it can be seen from outer space – may be headed towards Florida’s Gulf Coast.

The sargassum bloom, at around 5,000 miles wide, is twice the width of the United States and is believed to be the largest in history.

The impending seaweed comes as Floridians along the state's southwest coast have complained about burning eyes and breathing problems. Dead fish have washed up on beaches. A beachside festival has been canceled, even though it wasn't scheduled for another month.

This massive seaweed blob is causing all kinds of havoc already. Red tide is horrendous in the waters surrounding FL's coast. With this things settling in we could see some more weird and even dangerous affects from all that seaweed just hangin about.

All these weird weather/nature anomalies, on the rise in so many different ways really has me wondering about man's manipulation of the weather and how some of this may very well be "side affects" from messing with things man ought not to mess with. Or a somehow "purposed disaster", as wild as that sounds to say. With all these lies and secrets I'm questioning everything I see now-a-days.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AOx6179

Sucks to live in Florida I guess.
I don't really understand why people move to that state.
I mean they have alligators man!
I'll take tornadoes any day before waking up to one of those man!

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Hey, I grew up in the Bermuda Triangle tip of Florida (on the other planet, but still), and I can attest that Category 3 hurricanes, and sharknadoes, and gatorricanes, and Sargassum kaiju are nothin' but an afternoon storm. lol

In all seriousness, I think this seaweed is a man-made mutant monster, and the experiment is so far successful.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   

The Sargasso Sea has been known about for centuries. Columbus wrote about it, and there's even tenuous evidence it was explored as far back as the 5th Century BC.

Also, I really doubt the 5,000 miles wide claim. From where I live in Florida's Treasure Coast to Lisbon, Portugal, is only about 4,000 miles. I'm willing to bet someone (and their editor) doesn't understand the difference between miles and square miles

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AOx6179
... Or a somehow "purposed disaster", as wild as that sounds to say. With all these lies and secrets I'm questioning everything I see now-a-days.

No, a "purposed disaster" does not sound wild to say. At this point, it sounds like a logical and reasonable - if not a given - conclusion.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I thought Kaiju came from the pacific.

I always assumed the bp spill would hit us a decade later far worse. The dispersements and it's effects were unknown.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 11:56 AM
link   

All these weird weather/nature anomalies, on the rise in so many different ways really has me wondering about man's manipulation of the weather and how some of this may very well be "side affects" from messing with things man ought not to mess with.

Have you considered the possibility that the 2 Trillion metric tons of CO2 we've put into the air since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution might have something to do with it?

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

All these weird weather/nature anomalies, on the rise in so many different ways really has me wondering about man's manipulation of the weather and how some of this may very well be "side affects" from messing with things man ought not to mess with.

Have you considered the possibility that the 2 Trillion metric tons of CO2 we've put into the air since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution might have something to do with it?

How much will the next major volcanic eruption release?

Just sayin...

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

The Sargasso Sea has been known about for centuries. Columbus wrote about it, and there's even tenuous evidence it was explored as far back as the 5th Century BC.

Also, I really doubt the 5,000 miles wide claim. From where I live in Florida's Treasure Coast to Lisbon, Portugal, is only about 4,000 miles. I'm willing to bet someone (and their editor) doesn't understand the difference between miles and square miles

I was curious about the size claim.

What you said sounds more reasonable, must be squared, but even that sounds like too much, to me, anyway.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Probably not, he isn’t stupid.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   
From what I read, this came from an expansion of an existing blob somewhere which increased because of increased fertilizer use and deforestization in south America.

This blob in proper size is a haven for different creatures, it is a pain for mankind though. It creates food and protection for fish if it is not too big. It also creates hydrogen sulfide gas which is not a good thing and can deplete lots of the oxygen in the water when it spreads widely killing off a lot of sea creatures.

This is a problem with too much of the wrong chemistry entering the ocean and I agree we should stop this kind of practice. It is not much related to CO2 in the atmosphere as some would imply to tie it to fossil fuels.

Concentrated chemicals used all over in modern society are not good for the environment.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They should harvest it all and make bio fuel
i bet Elon Mush is allready thinking it

edit on 13-3-2023 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Is all 2 Trillion metric tons still in the air? 🌝

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

No. The spill alone and what us humans did affected the Gulf 10xs any carbon we released into the air. Methane is way worse and we are finding the ocean spews it at a rate unknown.

Any human global effects are from toxins and things way worse than carbon.

That's one of the reasons man-made global warming I don't buy man made global warming. It only latches onto what can be taxed or bring money in. Doesn't seem to follow real science by including the sun and other chemicals and reactions. Also is against nuclear power which has been getting cleaner and cleaner with science and tech using lighter and cleaner elements.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   
About 10+/- years ago this huge seemingly never ending sargassum patch came to the Texas coast and I had the joy of experiencing it. The shorter you are puts your nose closer to the rotting mass and is at the least very nauseating. It is very scratchy on the feet and really is no fun to hang out on the beach during the onslaught. You will see people clear a walking path to the water.

The fun thing about the stuff is if you take a bucket into the water and fill with a little bit of water. Then take a chunk of the floating sargassum and shake it in the bucket of water. You will see all different kinds of creatures swimming around from tiny fish, eels, shrimp etc.

The other bonus is that that sargassum adds nutrients to the sand dunes where vegetation has grown much quicker and more luscious than before the sargassum apocalypse. There were also more birds than I had ever seen picking through the freshly washed up sargassum.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
We really need to lay off the fertilizers that get in our runoff, it seems to cause these major blooms, the sources below make it sound as if past blooms would be just a blip compared to this massive bloom.

let's not forget one of the most popular threads ever the BP Disaster/Deepwater Disaster

simar.conabio.gob.mx...
www.newsweek.com...

One 2019 study in the journal Science found that since 2011, the mats of sargassum have been increasing, forming a massive "Atlantic Sargassum belt" stretching across the entire ocean, which as of 2018, weighed over 22 million tons.

Over 8,400 tons of sargassum washed up on a single day at Galveston Island, Texas, which was the most ever recorded in a single 24-hour period.

"In the open ocean, Sargassum provides an essential habitat and refuge for all sorts of marine animals," Mengqiu Wang, a sargassum researcher from the University of South Florida, previously told Newsweek.

If the mats of seaweed become too great, they may harm coral reefs by blocking out the sunlight they need to photosynthesize, preventing sea turtles from nesting on beaches, and creating oxygen-dead zones where fish cannot survive.

Brian Barnes, an assistant research professor at the University of South Florida's College of Marine Science told NBC News that the seaweed can entangle boat propellers and block intake valves. When the seaweed gathered on beaches or in the shallows begins to rot, it releases noxious gasses like hydrogen sulfide, which can cause respiratory problems.

Over 11,000 Acute Sargassum Toxicity cases were reported in an 8-month span in Guadalupe and Martinique in the wake of the 2018 sargassum bloom.

'Milky Sea' Phenomenon Captured in Photo for First Time
Algal Bloom Potentially Sickening Hikers on California Trail
Dangerous Algal Blooms Crop up Across California Killing Thousands of Fish
The 2019 Science study suggested that the blooms leading to massive mats of sargassum may be caused by agricultural runoff from rivers containing fertilizers.

This could be worsened by increased fertilizer use, as well as climate change, which may increase flooding and runoff into major waterways as a result of increased rainfall. Additionally, higher ocean temperatures due to climate change provide an ideal environment for the blooms to occur.

"Based on the last 20 years of data, I can say that the belt is very likely to be a new normal," Chuanmin Hu, a professor of optical oceanography at the University of South Florida, previously told Newsweek.

edit on 13-3-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
And if the seaweed blob becomes sentient?............

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Had to deal with this a few times a year growing up on St Pete Beach in Florida. It would suck but it would go away finally.

This mass is huge though and if timed with a Red Tide outbreak will be really bad for sea life.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Just don't poke it with a stick

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Elect it..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join