It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI finally admits to buying location data on Americans, horrifying experts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

FBI director denied that the agency currently purchases location data.

FBI finally admits to buying location data on Americans, horrifying experts

At a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing yesterday, FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed for the first time that the agency has in the past purchased the location data of US citizens without obtaining a warrant, Wired reported.

This revelation, which has alarmed privacy advocates, came after Sen. Ron Wyden (D–Ore.) asked Wray directly, “Does the FBI purchase US phone-geolocation information?” Wray’s response tiptoed around the question but provided a rare insight into how the FBI has used location data to surveil Americans without any court oversight.

“To my knowledge, we do not currently purchase commercial database information that includes location data derived from Internet advertising,” Wray said. “I understand that we previously—as in the past—purchased some such information for a specific national security pilot project. But that’s not been active for some time.”

I wish that assertion by the Director Wray made me feel better. It doesn't.

People who often cite the mantra "I have nothing to hide" often fail to grasp "how" data is being used. When you stop and specify what it is you are not hiding, you find that it is more than "just casual information collected and lost in a cloud," it is precisely in its accumulation and conglomeration hat it has the most dangerous uses.

For me, the fact that the data exists and is stored as a matter of practice - (think "user agreement") is the problem, the use of it by unregulated users is just a symptom. How, I wonder, is this "transaction" between the FBI and the "source of data" taking place?

No federal law meaningfully guarantees online privacy in the US. To address privacy concerns, Congress has sought to pass new laws for decades, but no bill has made it through both chambers, and no bill has been designed to eradicate the risk of authorities purchasing data. Even the American Data Privacy and Protection Act, which lawmakers from both parties seemed to consider a significant step forward, doesn’t prevent law enforcement agencies from collecting data, Wired noted.

(I hate it when a "news report" includes a source which turns out to be ... itself.)

Of course, there is always the prospect of "fruit of the poison tree" as a defense, if this should ever be designated as "out of legal bounds" since it was all collected and purchased as a "block" of data... not authorized by a specific 'warrant' for any specific 'suspect.' Any actionable law enforcement on the information has to be fruit of a "fishing expedition," right?

I'm simply not certain as to what scenario will be thrown out as justification for purchasing data this way. Oh, and I have a guilty curiosity about some specific individuals' information... and whether they would be "protected." I also have a tiny speck of curiosity about how much the taxpayers pay for the data... because you know it is all on our tab, right?

edit on 3/9/2023 by Maxmars because: formatting - dang it!

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   
19 men armed with box cutters, directed by a guy on dialysis from a cave halfway across the world killed over 2000 Americans.

Where was the location data on those 19 guys?

The FBI is late to the chase so they might not want to admit to what they actually have, since it's usually actionable data, that they didn't take action on.

For us to know the FBI did something wrong, the FBI has to tell us, and that's why America is stupid.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Where was the location data on those 19 guys?

they knew exactly where they were, don't be fooled. and i'll also say again, those 19 men and the sick dying fker in the cave might have done the deed , but they didn't pay for it and weren't the ones pulling the strings.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   

That wasn't even "in the works" at the time.

This data brokerage crap only began later... but that is a different thread topic entirely.

What the FBI has or hasn't done in that regard is far beyond this topic.

We need to understand that the FBI is operating differently of late.... much differently than before the "realignment."

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

So the FBI uses location data to target Americans because it is a successful way to use it, but the same data couldn't possibly work in a 2000 Mules situation?

Just... LOL

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Wray said: But that’s not been active for some time.

Shuurrrrrrrr it hasn't 😁

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Wray said: But that’s not been active for some time.

Shuurrrrrrrr it hasn't 😁

Yeah.... It kind of left me cold as far as assurances go.

These politically aligned people are weak because of their secrets. I'd think that at least one of them should wake up to the reality that "doubling down" on a lie can't be a "group decision" and simultaneously be "effective." At some point, you hear the bus coming your way...

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars

We need to understand that the FBI is operating differently of late.... much differently than before the "realignment."

I wonder why?

You can blame it on the FBI but they are following orders from a clandestine group within the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Do you think the Patriot act just faded away? It's more than just taking off your shoes at the airport.
edit on 9-3-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I've always assumed this was a given.

One of the most popular conspiracies in the 90's was about this exact situation, except they used cell phones instead of chips or barcodes.

Dont' act all surprised.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
We're officially in a banana Republic.

Rampant corruption, flagrant abuse of civil rights, tiered justice system, rigged elections, State sanctioned abuse of children...

Just hope it collapses in on itself sooner than later.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

So the FBI uses location data to target Americans because it is a successful way to use it, but the same data couldn't possibly work in a 2000 Mules situation?

Just... LOL

You know it... they used in for J6.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I’m waiting on RoboCop to save us

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
We're officially in a banana Republic.

Rampant corruption, flagrant abuse of civil rights, tiered justice system, rigged elections, State sanctioned abuse of children...

Just hope it collapses in on itself sooner than later.

I agree with everything this man said 100%

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This has been my longstanding theory on how they tracked so many from J6

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   

With everything has started to come out, I believe that a lot of FBI and polotitions are starting to worry.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Just... LOL

It has always bothered me that - having this access to all that information - we seem to be led to a place to take for granted that they "don't" have access to it.

The actual number of questions that could be answered by a good analytical approach are impressively relevant... especially in the "2000 Mules" scenario. But for some reason we are to believe that they don't have it...

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Who are these experts and what is their expertise? The article mentions some attorney being horrified, but data gets passed around like mono these days, that's hardly breaking news. I really believe people are completely subject to a spirit of fear and it's to the point they refuse to question anything. If being a conspiracy theorist is the equivalent to being a critical thinker, then I'll wear the tin foil hat as a badge no problem. Hope the money and accolades are worth the blindness.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ventian

Well, for my part it's all about the idea that you can purchase what is "effectively" evidence, in bulk, on a "market."

Can you use that to create actionable law enforcement engagements without a specific warrant?

I mean this is a free market, and the FBI did "buy" it.... Can "we" buy that data? ... and for how much?

And if that data is about me? Where do I, the subject, the actual entity, get the opportunity to say "erase that data, you can't have it?" Oh... it's just data... I have no say.

Warrants exist in our legal system for a reason... it is not a fanciful whim... because such powers are open to abuse... especially if I don't get to know who has it and under what pretense they are 'keeping' it...

It's not even a big thing... a file with every citizen information (addresses, numbers, accounts, even activities.) But the FBI seems to think that saying "We only bought it once," makes it all OK... we don't do that anymore?

No... there's plenty to worry about here... plenty.

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: stelth2

With everything has started to come out, I believe that a lot of FBI and polotitions are starting to worry.

AND IT KEEPS COMING!

Director Wray Brags the FBI Broke the Law 84% Fewer Times Last Year – Rep Darin LaHood Outlines Personal Targeting by FBI Analysts Unlawfully Searching NSA Databases

Representative LaHood is leading an internal congressional review of the FISA “702” reauthorization.

During the testimony, LaHood waxes philosophically about the importance of FISA-702 targeting as a tool for the FBI while simultaneously outlining how the FBI is weaponizing the tool.

At 06:24 of the video below, LaHood goes on to outline the details of the NSA noncompliance report showing how the FBI intentionally targeted him, likely because he is leading the 702 reauthorization group.

The irony here is thick. The FBI illegally uses 702 search queries, and in the example of LaHood, it is demonstrable targeting because the search query was only for his name, so there can be no claim of “inadvertent” search result.

Simultaneously, FBI Director Chris Wray states the number of illegal FBI searches of the database is 84% improved year-over-year.

In essence, the FBI is saying they are breaking the law 84% fewer times!
More at: theconservativetreehouse.com... onal-targeting-by-fbi-analysts-unlawfully-searching-nsa-databases/

The "DEEP STATE" feels they can do what they wish, and are accountable to NO ONE.

Donald Trump 3.4.2023: As President again, I will "Obliterate the Deep State".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join