It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dominion is Suing Fox News for Defamation after Admitting Their Voting Systems are Horrible.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wednesday, March 8, 2023

PLEASE HELP

1.) Two weeks ago, Dominion Voting Systems executives admitted in court how unreliable and hackable their election software and hardware is.

ATS Thread on that Subject: www.abovetopsecret.com...

---------

2.) This week, it appears Dominion is suing Fox News for $1.6 Billion, because the network said bad things about Dominion Voting systems.

CNN — A trove of text messages, emails, and other material from Fox News executives and on-air personalities were made public Tuesday as part of Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against the right-wing channel.

Among the the hundreds of pages of previously unreleased documents include repeated statements from Fox Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch rejecting conspiracy theories about Dominion that his own network promoted after the 2020 election. And Internal Fox News emails and messages — also made public Tuesday — further show how Fox News’ staff privately dismissed some of the election conspiracies that were promoted on-air.

Dominion has alleged in its lawsuit that during the 2020 presidential election the right-wing talk channel “recklessly disregarded the truth” and pushed various pro-Donald Trump conspiracy theories about the election technology company because “the lies were good for Fox’s business.”
Source: www.cnn.com...

What court/judge would allow Dominion to sue FoxNews for doubting Dominion's elections system's accuracy, after Dominion executives said their election systems are horrible and hackable?

Do any ATS members with legal training/experience understand what's going on here?

If so, please explain it as simply as possible. Thanks in advance!

-CareWeMust

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Fox basically defamed Dominion because it was good for ratings, while privately joking among themselves in text about the entire election fraud movement, including Trump's attorneys.

I mean, that's Dominion's arguement I guess. I'm not an expert but I feel this is close to accurate.

Defamation of character is an act that occurs when someone's reputation and integrity are tarnished or damaged because of malicious intent by another party. You may have heard the terms libel and slander. Slander is orally dishonoring someone else, while libel is written defamation. Both forms of defamation play a critical role in personal injury lawsuits seeking to recover damages caused by such behavior.

Do Defamation and Slander Get Protected Under Free Speech?
The First Amendment enables freedom of speech, but not all speech is protected. Individuals have a right to be free from falsehoods impugning their character. Defamatory statements are protected under the First Amendment, but there are some ethical issues that come into play.

Additionally, the first amendment does not protect threats to public safety or plans for criminal activity. Saying something that could cause public panic, such as a message over the PA system in a theater or on an airplane claiming there is a bomb in the building, is not protected by free speech law. Incitement of a crime is also not protected by the First Amendment.

The First Amendment does not allow for speech that attempts to overthrow the government with violence or commit illegal acts against the government.
www.forthepeople.com...

It goes on quite a bit in the link. These laws are trying to be there to stop complete and utter trollmanship on the part of major news networks for the sake of views and banner clicks, but this was a very gray area.

In Fox's defense, they had to go along with the narrative even if they were in-the-know enough to understand that the election fraud conspiracy was false because their viewers were enthralled and glued to their seats with it. Their guy lost and he put the accusation out there.

He was playing on his bases gullability and ignorance, also no one wants to be a "loser" and will naturally take to any reason that explains that the loss was unfair.
edit on CST12Thu, 09 Mar 2023 00:05:37 -060000000003b2023 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Thrumbo

Thankyou for the thorough and informative reply! What you're saying is, "NEWS" entities are more entertainment, than real unbiased news reporting nowadays. Right?

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Fox didn't simply claim that Dominion's system was inaccurate.

What Fox claimed was: (1) Dominion committed election fraud by rigging the 2020 Presidential Election; (2) Dominion’s software and algorithms manipulated vote counts in the 2020 Presidential Election; (3) Dominion is owned by a company founded in Venezuela to rig elections for the dictator Hugo Chávez; and (4) Dominion paid kickbacks to government officials who used its machines in the 2020 Presidential Election." (That's taken from the legal filing document.)

www.documentcloud.org...

In other words, Fox didn't claim that Dominion simply had an inaccurate system. An inaccurate system could cut either way; it could help Trump just as often as it could help Biden. Fox claimed that Dominion acted deliberately with malicious intent to "rig" the election in Biden's favor. If Fox can't come up with some evidence that those claims are true, then they probably defamed Dominion.

The Judge is giving Fox the opportunity to prove their claims.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Fox News staffers are in the dark and vexed as the right-wing talk channel remains ensnared in one of the worst scandals of its 26-year history — and arguably the most consequential media scandal in modern American history.

“There has been nothing” communicated to staff from the company’s management or human resources over Dominion Voting Systems’ mammoth $1.6 billion lawsuit against the network, one longtime Fox News staffer told me Wednesday evening. “Nothing. No communication.”

“People are really shocked and disgusted,” the staffer said of the damaging and embarrassing national headlines emanating from the lawsuit that have become a daily drumbeat in recent weeks. “Even longtime staffers. You would think after all we’ve been through nothing could surprise us. But this is unprecedented.”

That was echoed to me over the last 48 hours by several other employees at Fox News. “I haven’t seen anything [communicated],” another Fox News staffer told me. “I haven’t heard a thing,” said yet another. Those who work for the channel, the people I spoke to said, are effectively expected to show up to work as usual and pretend that everything is normal.
www.cnn.com...

edit on CST01Thu, 09 Mar 2023 01:12:36 -060000000003b2023 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 01:16 AM
link   

What you're saying is, "NEWS" entities are more entertainment, than real unbiased news reporting nowadays.

I didn't get that from Thrumbo's post at all. Everything stated in that post applied specifically to Fox News and only to Fox News except for one sentence about the reason why anti-defamation processes exist in law.

It is also Fox's argument, and as far as I know Fox's argument only, that it is really an entertainment site and not a news site. Genuine, ethical news organizations, like Reuters, AP, BBC, CBS and the rest, don't claim that and certainly don't behave like that. I don't know about other MAGA fake news purveyors such as Breitbart, Gateway Pundit and OAN; under legal duress, I expect they too would probably shelter behind the 'entertainment' excuse, while pretending to their followers that they're genuine news outlets. And of course that charlatan Sydney Powell used a similar defence when called on her false claims about election rigging -- the place where this all started.

It's a right-wing thing; exploit the stupidity of your comrades to make money and aggregate power. All authoritarians do it. Look at Putin.

edit on 9/3/23 by Astyanax because: added commentary

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

It's a right-wing thing; exploit the stupidity of your comrades to make money and aggregate power. All authoritarians do it.

"accuse the other side of that which you are guilty"

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 05:49 AM
link   
That would mean that Dominion would have to prove above and beyond any shadow of doubt that what Fox stated , etc. was lies. 100%
Ain't gonna happen .

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

So you believe Fox news has proof that Dominion rigged it? What proof do they have? Not My Pillow Guy, can't use Dinesh, he had to retract statements he made. Can't use 60 court cases, they were tossed. Jenna Ellis was censured yesterday and admitted she made false statements, Powell has been sanctioned and on her way to being disbarred. And we have all the texts and emails from internal Fox news hosts and owner who stated that they know the election was not rigged and the attorneys and Guiliani etc are "fng crazy" but lied because their ratings were taking a hit.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:04 AM
link   
While you guys are all looking at the right hand you're not noticing what the left is doing.

Fox News is transitioning to the woke side of life by being (deliberately, IMO) discredited. Tucker Carlson's leaked emails just lit the fuse and it's snowballing from there.

Fox is slowly being dismantled.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
That would mean that Dominion would have to prove above and beyond any shadow of doubt that what Fox stated , etc. was lies. 100%
Ain't gonna happen .

It's a civil suit, which means the burden is 'preponderance of evidence'. It would help if people knew the difference between a criminal case and a civil one before posting and even if it were a criminal case the burden is not 'above and beyond any shadow of doubt', it's 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

edit on 9-3-2023 by AugustusMasonicus because: DEY. TERK. YER. ELERKJERN. AGERN!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Fox didn't simply claim that Dominion's system was inaccurate.

What Fox claimed was: (1) Dominion committed election fraud by rigging the 2020 Presidential Election; (2) Dominion’s software and algorithms manipulated vote counts in the 2020 Presidential Election; (3) Dominion is owned by a company founded in Venezuela to rig elections for the dictator Hugo Chávez; and (4) Dominion paid kickbacks to government officials who used its machines in the 2020 Presidential Election."...

The Judge is giving Fox the opportunity to prove their claims.

Bravo for sharing the pertinent points!

In regards to the first issue mentioned... this is Big Media doing all the talking. As with the COVID event, there are many who simply won't ever concede they were tools of propaganda for one side or the other. That being the case, there absolutely will be bias in every source's reporting - because conflict garners attention - which garners money. That's simply how it plays out in this "information age" wonder they would have us call "news."

Second-most in my mind is the reality that there is a prevalent and pervasive persistence in the Big Media conduct of having "done no wrong." These are the master of the pattern I call "Fail - then double down."

The idea that a suit should be brought against what will, in the end (as always) be "the utterances of an 'employee' of [fill in network name here.]" And the best-case scenario for them is some pittance, bragging rights, and the ejection of an "employee of Fox," presumably a producer... who's name few even know.

(1) Dominion committed election fraud by rigging the 2020 Presidential Election;

An accusation of "fraud" can be strictly civil, but it is not restricted to the realm of non-criminal law. In regards to a presidential election, the injured party may be exposing themselves... unless they are immune from criminal prosecution (but why would they be... who would indemnify such a contractor from prosecution?

(2) Dominion’s software and algorithms manipulated vote counts in the 2020 Presidential Election;

By their own public testimonial their system is, frankly, borked. This was in the public sphere long before this particular election... which is another quandary because one would assume those who contracted them would have necessarily specified they expect accurate results that cannot be "gamed" or altered... right?

(3) Dominion is owned by a company founded in Venezuela to rig elections for the dictator Hugo Chávez; and

Again, this is not "news" as it was a primary complaint by those who ate the initial time of observation were labeled as xenophobes for resisting the idea that a foreign contractor should be even remotely involved in US elections...

(4) Dominion paid kickbacks to government officials who used its machines in the 2020 Presidential Election.

This was "news" to me. Presumably they have evidence to this effect, which in and of itself, does not speak directly to the alleged 'fraud' but the judge may consider it as a 'color of character' matter in the case. Especially if such quid-pro-quo or in-kind relationships could seem to invalidate any assertions of the company being "law abiding."

The Judge is giving Fox the opportunity to prove their claims.[b/]

Actually Dominion is making its' case here, not FOX. They want money for having to "endure" this treatment by the "press" which levies claims outside a court proceeding... Perhaps they are worried that next election no one will want to do business with them.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Anyone that would look to Rupert Murdoch for the definition of a fair election does need a good reality check. This mogul has been publicly fixing elections for decades with who he gives his media support too. When was the last time you even seen an independent candidates policy in the corporate media?

The reason Dominion is suing fox is because all their lawyers are on the same payroll. If Dominion was serious about its integrity, try suing the My Pillow guy.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   

If suing a media company for saying something that is false, wouldn't ALL media companies now be able to be sued for pushing the Pee Dossier?

Also, my sources inside Fox say that they used a Dominion voting machine to see if FOX NEWS was guilty.

The results?

Biden won.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Imagine that. Rupert didn't listen to Lord Commander Schumer about firing the host dropping truth vids about Jan 6th, so Dominion, another corrupt business, is doing their part by trying to sue.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Astyanax

It's a right-wing thing; exploit the stupidity of your comrades to make money and aggregate power. All authoritarians do it.

"accuse the other side of that which you are guilty"

Right? I mean, this dude's party just did all of that with the virus, vaccines, and masks.

Short term memory must be a mother... I swear it's a prerequisite to becoming a democrat.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

What court/judge would allow Dominion to sue FoxNews for doubting Dominion's elections system's accuracy, after Dominion executives said their election systems are horrible and hackable?

it's not about the truth, it's about the greasing of the palms or political favors w3hich one might and do receive.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. I don't think any reputable media outlet or journalist ever stated definitely that it was true. How their reports were represented in the media you prefer to consume may, of course, have been different.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. I don't think any reputable media outlet or journalist ever stated definitely that it was true. How their reports were represented in the media you prefer to consume may, of course, have been different.

I have now made an opera laugh at you.

HA!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So for YEARS the MSNBC, CNN crowd didn't run the Russian collusion idea?

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If suing a media company for saying something that is false, wouldn't ALL media companies now be able to be sued for pushing the Pee Dossier?

Also, my sources inside Fox say that they used a Dominion voting machine to see if FOX NEWS was guilty.

The results?

Biden won.

Shhhhh!!

Don't give it away!!

The whole Fox response point might be to allow Trump to sue for slander if the precedent gets set 😁

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join