It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kabul Airport Horror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Do you have HBO?
I highly recommend watching Jamie Roberts' Escape From Kabul, because it gives you a glimpse into the nightmare the withdrawl from Afghanistan really was, just words simply can't.

“The withdrawal was a catastrophe in my opinion. And there was an inexcusable lack of accountability,” said Vargas-Andrews, who wore a prosthetic arm and scars of his own grave wounds from the bombing...

ap

To me the failure started in the planning of the whole operation whoever thought it was a good idea to make the airport the focus point of all the desperates with only a handful of soldiers #ed up hard.
It's like scenes from a zombie movie.

edit on 8-3-2023 by Peeple because: Double Exo

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

There were half a dozen or so vets going over there to retrieve folks who got left behind.

No help and infact obstruction from our state dept.

A travesty that did not have to happen.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Read today a marine sniper was on the tower near the gate that was hit, he had the first suicide bomber in his cross hairs and they could not get the order to engage.

They had intel it was coming, they ID'd the attacker and still werent allowed to engage, that leadership that refused to give the order should lose their career over that.

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Which then lead to the death of more innocents.

Infuriating.

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

There were half a dozen or so vets going over there to retrieve folks who got left behind.

No help and infact obstruction from our state dept.

A travesty that did not have to happen.

yes it didn't have to be like that. was that the sniper that had the bomber in his sights and no one could give him the order to take him out?

Dunkirk comes to mind.

i think i answered the wrong post, sorry Jin.

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI & to: Irishhaf

I think the planning was just so #ed up it makes you wonder how anybody ever thought it could play out differently than it did.
They were sending out letters ffs telling people to come to the airport. Of course that got copied and passed around, people have friends and family...
If you want to get people out you go there and pick them up as quietly as possible and not make a #ing huge announcement that draws everybody at the same time to that one location you need secure.
... infuriating is really the only adadequate word. Madness

edit on 8-3-2023 by Peeple because: rage

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Read today a marine sniper was on the tower near the gate that was hit, he had the first suicide bomber in his cross hairs and they could not get the order to engage.

They had intel it was coming, they ID'd the attacker and still werent allowed to engage, that leadership that refused to give the order should lose their career over that.

I believe that was the soldier who lost his leg in the blast. It was brutal and a complete travesty. The sugarcoating and outright deflection or silence by the media made them lose any smidgen of credibility they may have had left

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Two words for y'all.

Joe Biden.

Boom.

posted on Mar, 8 2023 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe I know someone who travels to Afghanistan regularly working for the HALO trust. Some folks have nerves of steel I suppose. Don't think I could willingly do it. The Biden administration wasted no time letting the world know who is #1 in incontinence, er incompetence.
edit on 8-3-2023 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:28 AM
link   

edit on 9-3-2023 by Agit8dCh0p because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Unfortunately in German language but the pictures tell you everything.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

It's the same documentary

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Forgot to mention part of the reason for the insanity during those days, the state department was not working round the clock, they shut down each evening.

fox

Moments before the blast, he and his fellow Marines were providing security from a tower near the gate where the blast occurred. Armed with intelligence about a potential suicide bomber, Vargas-Andrews and those with him spotted an individual matching the suicide bomber's description. The Marines observed as the man engaged in suspicious behavior and sent urgent warnings to leaders asking for permission to engage the suspected bomber.

"Over the communication network we passed that there was a potential threat and that there an IED attack imminent, this was as serious as it could get. I request engagement authority while my team leader was ready on the M110 semi-automatic sniper system. The response, leadership did not have engagement authority for us, do not engage," Vargas-Andrews recounted.

"Nobody wanted my report post-blast. Even NCIS and the FBI failed to interview me."

The troops on the ground had to tirelessly work to control the crowds, day and night. The Department of State staff at HKIA (Hamid Karzai International Airport) would completely shut down processing Afghans every evening and into the morning, leaving ground forces with a nightmare," he said. "State was not prepared to be in HKIA."

These were the highpoints from the article.

join