It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tennessee House Just Passed a Bill Completely Gutting Marriage Equality

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: RazorV66

So you would have no issue of the government official responsible for issuing gun licenses refused to do so due to their personal beliefs?

Um…

Hypocrisy much? Many blue states/cities do that with a thin veneer of illegal laws - laws which keep getting struck down in court. Then punishing illegal gun owners if they use guns in self defense.

People are fleeing California and New York for Florida and Texas for a reason.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow people to refuse to perform a marriage if they disagree with it.

According to the bill, which passed Monday night, “a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person’s conscience or religious beliefs.”

The bill, which now moves to the state Senate, is the latest in an onslaught of measures that the Tennessee legislature has passed attacking LGBTQ rights. This bill could also apply to couples where at least one partner is transgender, or to mixed race couples.

Source

When Roe v. Wade was overturned last year with the Dobbs decision, Justice Thomas mentioned in his opinion that the decision may lay the groundwork for other decisions to be overturned. Namely those that protect same sex and interracial marriages.

Conservatives assured the country that they had no desire to overturn those decisions. They reiterated this claim in December when Congress passed the Respect for Marriage Act, saying that the act was pointless as nobody is trying to get rid same arc marriage or interracial marriage.

Fast forward three months and the Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a law that could be used to challenge those old Supreme Court rulings.

HB 878 states that a person is not required to solemnize a marriage if they oppose it based on their conscience or religious beliefs.

Now at first glance it might be assumed that this simply prevents religious leaders from being forced to perform marriages they oppose. Except Tennessee already has that law on the book. This law would expand that law so that county clerks would not have to sign a marriage license if they disapprove of a marriage.

So even if a same sex/interracial/interfaith/etc couple has a legitimate marriage ceremony their marriage may not be acknowledged by the state due to the beliefs of a government employee.

If this law makes it through the state Senate it will almost certainly be challenged in the courts at which point we will see if the beliefs Thomas expressed last year are shared by at least four other judges. Until then, I already know of at least one state penning their own similar legislation.

Someone else will sign it.
Your description is hilarious tho.
Keep at it.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

And then extreme conservatives wonder why they can't win elections.

I have a dreadful feeling that those extreme conservatives WILL be winning elections eventually. And then we will see all the same cycles of the past (and present) repeat over and over again, with each set of douche bags being authoritative and trying to force everyone to abide the rules they choose.

Don't underestimate the pushback that is coming. It'll be at least equally ugly and absurd.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Okay, I clicked on the link.

The bill could allow county clerks to deny marriage licenses to same-sex, interfaith, or interracial couples in Tennessee.

That's not good, if true. But a country clerk doesn't solemnize a marriage. They only issue a license.

Any business that requires ID or certification are also required by law to accept marriage license. Church is not business, otherwise they would have to pay taxes because that's how owning a business works. The next step following this legislation is to balance the scales and impose fair business tax on the religious front. If they can't afford taxes, hopefully the Lord will provide or give them instruction to assemble their loyal consumers in an alternative venue. Otherwise stay the hell out of the civil contract industry.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
a reply to: frogs453

And then extreme conservatives wonder why they can't win elections.

I have a dreadful feeling that those extreme conservatives WILL be winning elections eventually. And then we will see all the same cycles of the past (and present) repeat over and over again, with each set of douche bags being authoritative and trying to force everyone to abide the rules they choose.

Don't underestimate the pushback that is coming. It'll be at least equally ugly and absurd.

Yeah, the "woke" agenda is going a little bit too far nowadays. I personally can't wait for that pendulum to swing allllll the way back. Back to good, conservative, American values. Nobody cares until it's their own little boy coming home from school with an instructional book on how to perform gay sex, or saying "my teacher said I should try being a girl" like this article about a teacher who manipulated a 5th grader into changing her gender against her will and had all the students in the class calling her a boy or "it". Just bullying her until she was suicidal. There are other articles which are less concise but talk about all the abuses this poor girl went through at the hands of her activist teacher.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 9-3-2023 by Antimony because: typo.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry

a reply to: ohhchongo

How exactly does that work when the country clerk for the county you reside refuses to sign your marriage license?

I hope there is a gay county clerk somewhere in TN that refuses to sign certificates for Hetero marriages just to spite.

They would be doing some of us men a favor!!

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Woke is it's form Puritanical Victorianism. If you don't see it, I can't help you.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: putnam6

I see gay marriage is a mockery of what God ordains and decreed. Obviously, I can't force others to believe as much. That is very much their choice, so I don't seek to stop them from doing what they will do or believing what they will believe, but a deep religious belief is a very real thing.

It is almost but not quite as insane (it's down the same road) as the nutbags who want to force everyone to agree and accept that men who identify as women are actually women.

All the gay community needed and should have done is simply back a proposal to allow for gay people to engage in 'civil unions' that provide the same kinds of legal recognition for things like 'next of kin', 'family/visitation', inheritance, etc etc...

But no.,. they have to call it marriage and demand that everyone else recognize and accept it as the exact same thing as marriage between a man and a woman.
edit on 9-3-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
LOL! This is a Big wast of time.
As even YOU! can get the wright to marry people.
It would be great is people stop using govermeny Marriage.

There is no government consent required for male and female Citizens of the same race who want to marry.

Marriage licenses first reared their ugly head for people who wanted to intermarry - ie, an interracial marriage.

The government was then over time able to successfully brainwash everyone into thinking that everyone was required to get a license to get married, which they are not even to this very day. At that point, they had successfully converted a Right into a Privilege, which the government is absolutely forbidden from doing, that is basic Constitutional Law 101.

So, don't get the license, and find a real church with a real pastor who knows the law and will Marry you without the license.

ETA: I imagine today even two people of different races would be able to successfully make this argument if anyone dared to challenge the legalityy of their marriage based on a non-existent marriage license being on file.
edit on 9-3-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

I personally can't wait for that pendulum to swing allllll the way back.

If you think it won't be just as insane then, albeit in a different way (think of the Muslim countries that have locked their women down, denied them freedoms) then you are willfully blind. You are welcome to make assumptions about where I stand on any of the issues you mentioned, and I won't waste my time trying to correct you. Things might get "better" for a bit, but the nutters on the other extreme will ruin it. But, like you said, you look forward to that.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't ask for your help. You assume that I don't understand the point you made- I do, I don't need my eyes opened in that regard. What I also see coming is an equally hate-filled and intolerant extreme of authority from the far right that we now see from the far left.

posted on Mar, 9 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Vroomfondel

What I find funny is all the screaming about "Drag Bans".

What is being banned you might ask? Performing for children..... well no crap, you can't take your kids to the stipper clubs either... so discrimination!

Don't Perv on Kids, Don't screw with kids heads and bodies before they are old enough to truly make those decisions, how hard is that to understand?

I couldn't agree more. Adults can do whatever they want, within legal reason of course. But leave the kids alone. Period.

posted on Mar, 10 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Then continue walking us all right off that plank.

When you have zero rights left, don't say you had no idea.

edit on 10-3-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2023 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ohhchongo
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow people to refuse to perform a marriage if they disagree with it.

The horror ..

How about you just find someone who doesnt disagree with it to marry you?

Why would you want to be married by someone who disagrees with it?

Because the gays love making straight people bend to their special ways . Gays are victims you know lol .

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
The problem here, which far too many people seem to be making, is you seem to think I am not in agreement with you on many things; that I am of the other side, or an "enemy".

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Go to Vegas and get married.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join