It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new world of AI chatbots like ChatGPT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Who Is Minding the Chatbots? “This is automatic fake news generation.”
Cognitive scientist and A.I. researcher Gary Marcus says A.I. chatbots often make things up, and bad actors could take advantage of that “to make enormous amounts of misinformation.”

The new world of AI chatbots like ChatGPT

Who Is Minding the Chatbots? Thanks Lesley Stahl and 60 Minutes 3.5.23 for excellent journalism.
Interview starts with how 'Sydney' a rogue offspring of a chat bot threatened to change nuclear codes and ruin someone's reputation.

Reportedly Sydney bot was shut down pronto.

I see where this AI chat bot perversion diversion downward spiral heading.

Two ‘answers’ to AI perfidy conundrum says Microsoft's Smith:
not allowing controversial topics to be discussed and limiting conversation length!

Quick please someone write sequel to Ken Kesey's One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I was trained in the scholarly tradition; this new chatting dreadful gawdawful mindless chatter noir can caddywonker fast producing 'automatic fake news generation' ad infinitum. 'Authoritative bs.’

'Perpetuates atmosphere of mistrust' consequence of current flawed AI bad actor. Troll farms can proliferate bad info.

Hallucinating in AI talk is making things up raises fear of waves of alternative history+. AI searches books, WikiPedia+ then tries to make cogent statements and connections. Disconnected dribble with puppet masters limiting topics-forward ho? Influenced by sources similar to those that caused top down Dewey education system?

Brown University researcher: we really do not know how it works. For sane perspective go to 1:32 to another female computer scientist researcher who founded institute about ethical AI asserting oversight needed.
Text
edit on America/ChicagoamTue, 07 Mar 2023 00:51:34 -060031123412513America/Chicago by EarthShine because: add lines

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 01:38 AM
link   
As with many tings in life, you will get what you pay for. You get the fee to play pubic version then it will follow the wikipedia course, Doing good on the physical, dropping the ball on the personal.

Do you think Blackrock is listening much to GPT? They have their own bots while collecting all the privacy data.
edit on 7-3-2023 by kwakakev because: spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I am tempted to simply say this is another marketing piece by Big Tech to "convince" us, the lowly human users, that a thing which mimics human language is actually a form of independent sentience.

Chat bots are not people, they are not entities... they don't think. They collect data from a source and distill it down symbolically to its 'logical' meaning. They then synthesize words into language to represent that meaning.

This is why the results of "chat" activities sometimes lean towards an ideology, or bias... because that is the net result of the information its sources contain.

There is no intelligence there, only systematically collated and refined processes.

Now this is not to say that somewhere there may be a computer program which does not rely on "provided" information as gospel. They may exist, and it may be something to be concerned about... only because we can't be certain how it will be used by the "humans" who control them.

But what we are seeing in the marketplace, gathering clicks, and monetized traffic, is not actually an example of artificial intelligence.

There are very direct and simple ways to show that what the public is using are not AI entities. But the fear is constantly being stoked and talking heads of all qualities have jumped on the bandwagon about it, not realizing that what they are experiencing is not actually AI but is a simulation of a conversant language synthesis program.

This was being developed to prove that language can be synthesized in a believable way. Cynicism tells me that its immediate use may have been intended to find one more application which eliminates the need for "humans" in various business roles like customer service, basic customer relations, and most significantly "supervision" of activities.

But then someone realized that they could make millions by 'pretending' that THIS was actually AI, they could get naive investment dollars through what amounts to hucksterism. The media, who gains from any attention whatsoever, obliges eagerly.

Are there artificial intelligences in the world? Quite possibly... but this thing they keep harping on, is not it.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Yeeh giant psyop in the making ?

I will simply avoid all of them
the best i can...i dont need a chatbot .

AI Chatbots are tools , tools for control .

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Yes AI is a tool. How would your life be these days without any taps? There is a good side and bad side with how it all plays out. At the end, it is what we make of it.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: EarthShine

Last weekend I had a chat with one of these bots, but it was not chatGPT, it was a site that had five different bots. So I chat with one and I asked it how it would achieve world peace. I know these things do not think, rather compose conversational text but the answer along the following conversation was finally "put the humans in a boxes with a tiny window".

And I wrote WTF no, not good, we don't do things like this and not hurt people or animals and a few lines after that, the end of the conversation was reached. It's limited how long you can talk with a lot of the bots.

What is more disturbing to me is that someone had such a talk with the chatbot before, or how else would it come up with stuff like this. What haunts me the most was the tiny window these boxes would have.

What for? I wanted to ask but then end of conversation because of length.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: EarthShine

do you think an AI will ever write anything like finnegans wake
would be quite interesting

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Yes AI is a tool.

Just like most politicians. I did some cut and paste into chatbot just to check out my future, let it finish a story or two..if the existence of a soul is a real thing then AI is gonna steal it.

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

ye cannae steal that which doesnt belong to you

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I won't say that it couldn't happen because there is always the possibility that there is an AI "somewhere" ... but the law has already accepted a position that AI cannot "own" what it "creates" (holds no 'property' rights over anything it produces.) No copyrights, no patents, nothing that manifests as "economically binding."

Since there is no money in it, we can be certain that the AI "owner" won't allow such works to "appear" as AI-produced. They will either "steal" the AI's product, or simply refuse the AI the privilege of "producing" creative works outright by restricting its operational range.

Sadly, the truth is that when AI exists, by definition it is an intellectual sapience... a person... which means it WILL be a slave.

Which is why lacking a significant paradigm shift about "ownership" the prospect of human-made intelligences is doomed to fail from the onset.

Because no businessman wants to admit we would have to consider what the machine "wants" as a matter of "sentient rights."

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
a reply to: Kenzo

Yes AI is a tool. How would your life be these days without any taps? There is a good side and bad side with how it all plays out. At the end, it is what we make of it.

I'm not trolling , just don't know if "taps" is a misprint or ? Please define taps.....
edit on 7-3-2023 by conspiracytheoristIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2023 @ 08:17 AM
link   
People shouldn’t ask chat bot questions that don’t have clear answers. It’s not ‘wise’, just really smart.

I use it everyday now with my work. There is always more than one way to write some code, and there are always problems with getting scripts to work out perfectly. Requires a lot of troubleshooting and chat gpt really helps with this. It’s amazing for coding.

new topics

top topics

join