It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organoid intelligence up next

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Ran across this interesting article. I've actually been waiting to see when they'd start this.
Sci-fi coming to fruition. Organic computer (sounds like).

www.cnn.com...

(CNN)Computers powered by human brain cells may sound like science fiction, but a team of researchers in the United States believes such machines, part of a new field called "organoid intelligence," could shape the future — and now they have a plan to get there.

Organoids are lab-grown tissues that resemble organs. These three-dimensional structures, usually derived from stem cells have been used in labs for nearly two decades, where scientists have been able to avoid harmful human or animal testing by experimenting on the stand-ins for kidneys, lungs and other organs.

More insight into the stem cell research that's been going on for the last 20 years now.

Dr. Thomas Hartung, a professor of environmental health and engineering at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Whiting School of Engineering in Baltimore, began growing brain organoids by altering human skin samples in 2012.

He and his colleagues envision combining the power of brain organoids into a type of biological hardware more energy efficient than supercomputers. These "biocomputers" would employ networks of brain organoids to potentially revolutionize pharmaceutical testing for diseases like Alzheimer's, provide insight into the human brain and change the future of computing

The article goes on to explain organoid intelligence further. If you are watching the AI rise then I'd take a minute and check this out.

Brain organoid systems could exhibit key aspects of intelligence and sentience," Miller wrote.

Wild wild stuff. Seems more and more like sci-fi is slowly becoming sci-fact.

I can see both sides of this. The good and bad. What do you see here ATS?
edit on 3-3-2023 by AOx6179 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AOx6179

Interesting subject for sure.

We had a thread about it two days ago :
ATS : Scientists say biocomputers made from tiny ‘brains’ are the future

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Interesting subject for sure.

We had a thread about it two days ago :
ATS : Scientists say biocomputers made from tiny ‘brains’ are the future

Doesn't surprise me. good topic.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 07:13 PM
link   

If humans do not destroy themselves due to stupidity and war (whatever) then the future with General A.I. is a future not even the best futurist or a psychic can forecast.

Something like General A.I. that functions at a level of millions of times faster and has all the knowledge of past human learning plus what the A.I. comes up with on it's own is a force no one can forecast the end product.

Will we be taken care of by our A.I. parents or just become beast to be managed by our new Overlords ?? Light and Dark, good and evil, two edges of a possible future with many in-between baby steps.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Sweet! Like Mother Brain for Metroid! I am sure it will turn out fine just like she did….

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Pinky,
Are you pondering what I'm pondering ?

edit on 3-3-2023 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   
And so it begins...

So much wonderful and creative technology in this world... but we've (rightly) learned to find it threatening rather than inspirational due to the fact that so many world changing breakthroughs have been abused and/or weaponized at some point.

With great power comes great responsibility...
edit on 3/3/2023 by wavelength because: bah humbug

new topics

top topics

join