It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This almost Broke My Southern Heart

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I’m not really Southern but I’ve always said I’m an old Southern Lady trapped in a Sassy Asian ladies body. I heard that when you are reincarnated that they put you in the you in a body dislike the most. Wouldn’t that be interesting and what a way to learn compassion? I’ve heard a lot of the most homophobic people are actually closeted gay..hmmm Or people that hate a certain race hate themselves the most….

Back to food. So there is an old Southern lady in me and she knows her southern food. Home cooked on an iron skillet kind of food. The other day my husband and I were traveling and we stopped for breakfast. My fellow southern eaters, please brace yourself for what I’m about to share with you………….

Brace yourselves!

We stopped at a restaurant and to my surprise they had Biscuits and Gravy on the menu. My heart pittered pattered. I couldn’t believe it, outside of Cracker Barrel, it’s just not something that is made, or eaten up here. Same with Sweet Tea.
So I happily order it. My mouth is watering, I’m dreaming of southern biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

When it arrived I let out a plllllllllp……..

There it sat. A biscuit that appeared to be made from from a tube, but oh my, that is not where the atrocity starts.
Poured on this biscuit was beef gravy from a can, with mushrooms and parsley.
YES as in pot roast gravy, on morning biscuits! I had to laugh. What this looked like was a Yankee cook that was told biscuits and gravy is real popular so they should try to add it to the menu, without them having ever seeing it or tasting it.
Then the worst part, the waitress came out and she said Aren’t the Biscuits great. My husband gave me “the look”. The look is him saying please don’t be sassy today over adulterated biscuits and gravy. So I bit my lip and smiled and said uh huh. Surely she knew we were lying as we left a full plate of it!

I know one thing for sure, if they ever have chicken and dumplings, or grits I will 10000% not order it!

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

when you learn how easy it is to make really good southern gravy, you start to think someone who would do that is doing it on purpose to anger you.

I admit, making buttermilk biscuits is an art that few can master, but the sausage gravy is easy.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I am a southerner. There aren't too many great options in midwest. I can't find a great biscuit to save my life, much less a true bisuits and gravy plate. Most have been mediocre and that is being generous. However, every now and then I find a place with some good grits....

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Sadly even in the south corners are often cut.

At its core, the dish is a simple one… we’re not talking about a whole lot of ingredients. But to do it all from scratch can be pretty involved.

The biggest component is the sausage itself. A lot of places opt for frozen or even fully cooked for shelf stability.

If I’m really craving it, I tend to make it myself. The only places around me that I know do it from scratch are still a little bland for my taste.

I also like to get my biscuits a little more well done for this dish so it holds up on the edges to give a little textural contrast.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I admit, making buttermilk biscuits is an art that few can master, but the sausage gravy is easy.

Yea, the only battle with the gravy is finding good sausage. You cook that as normal and it’s basically a roux after that and boom, done.

You’re probably in the best state for anything pork related. I had a buddy from the east side of your state being up some spiral sausage and he was fawning over it. We smoked it and it was one of the best I’ve ever had. I think it was from Rocky Mount.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If I’m really craving it, I tend to make it myself. The only places around me that I know do it from scratch are still a little bland for my taste. I also like to get my biscuits a little more well done for this dish so it holds up on the edges to give a little textural contrast.

YES, YES and yEEEEEEES!

The biscuits are easy, there is a way to make them where the batter is very wet but you have to be sure to cook them so there is just a nice crust on the outside, but tender and flaky on the inside. This is so the gravy doesn’t make them too soggy/gluey.

I totally agree about the sausage, it has to be raw and cooked in cast iron. That is how you get the best drippings for the roux/gravy too.
I have wondered if a place here opened with real biscuits and gravy if it would be successful. I actually don’t think it would be. I don’t think the people here have the palate for it.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm not southern and even I am embarrassed by that!
Also you didn't mention where this happened?

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
I'm not southern and even I am embarrassed by that!
Also you didn't mention where this happened?

Wisconsin

I don’t want to say what place did it because restaurants are having enough of a hard time.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I have wondered if a place here opened with real biscuits and gravy if it would be successful. I actually don’t think it would be.

Which is sad. Most places out of sweet tea territory look down on biscuits, which I can understand seeing the iteration that exists out in those parts (canned, frozen, or premix)

And as I said, a lot of places in the south cut corners too.

But for the places that are passionate about it, I see it as an art as much as any other cuisine.

We have a place here that’s only open a few days a week, but they absolutely kill it.

They have a Nashville hot biscuit, a “bless your heart” one with fried green tomato, bacon and chipotle sauce, pimento cheese and country ham one, a whole range of bbq ones from the restaurant that does dinner next door, and a Cajun catfish biscuit that I was hesitant about but it’s actually one of my favorites.

Sadly, their gravy is meh. Everything else is a masterpiece.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   

As a Virginia boy who grew up on biscuits and gravy this is a thing I run into often on my travels. Even in the south, as critical mentions, I find it to be hit or miss. I've found a couple places here in vegas that do ok but when I want a good biscuits and gravy I ask my wife to make it. I go out of the way to get the best sausage I can find and we make nice crumbly drop biscuits. Only difference I see is the cast iron requirement. Its nice to have but hardly effects the drippings enough to make a really difference...it all comes down to the sausage. Only takes about 30min from start to finish to make as well!

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Only difference I see is the cast iron requirement. Its nice to have but hardly effects the drippings enough to make a really difference..

Bless your heart….
If you don’t think a 100 year old cast iron pan doesn’t add a magical je ne sais quoi, I don’t know what to tell you.
That pan adds the magical touch, it really does. White pepper is the other secret ingredient.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Jimmy Dean’s Sage sausage is what I’ve always used. Passed down from my mom.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I went to a self-proclaimed fancy southern restaurant here in Chicago and they didn't have Sweet Tea. I'm thinking to myself how da fuq is this a southern restaurant without sweet tea? I don't care if sweet tea isn't a thing up here, if you going to open a southern themed restaurant, you have to offer sweet tea!

Actually, some of the best biscuits I've had were in the Pacific Northwest (seattle & portland). The seemed to get how to do it. I think it is because the weather encourages heavy comfort food.

This place was fire.

Pine State Biscuits

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Jimmy Dean’s Sage sausage is what I’ve always used. Passed down from my mom.

That is the ironic thing. We are world known for our sausage and meats. If people wanted to, they could have the best sausage gravy!!

We have so many people that are in the trades here. I’ve always thought someone could make a killing serving a hearty southern breakfast, if these people could get used to it. (It might not be possible as I’m convinced the people here lack taste buds)

Just picture it…..

Scrambled eggs, grits or shrimp and grits, a big biscuit and loads of chunky but smooth sausage gravy, two slices of white toast cut diagonally and real butter, and then a big ol’ half gallon bucket of ice tea.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The Seattle food scene is out of this world. It’s too bad you have to step over druggies to get it.

I consider myself an expert ice tea maker. I’ve had many many guests tell me my ice tea is the best they have ever had in their life. I follow a simple recipe.

Boil a big pot of water, cut the heat, add tea bags (I like Lipton) and do not stir, don’t even breath on them.
Let them sit for 5 or ten minutes. Take the bags out very carefully. Then add one full cup of sugar and let that dissolve.
Add a little water if it is too strong and then cool down and pour over ice. If made in this method it will have an almost floral note to it.

For the most advanced ice tea drinkers, I like to use Assam or Darjeeling loose leaf tea. Heaven, pure Heaven!

I also still make sun tea. I know a lot of people don’t do that because of Ecoli but in our house we wash our hands and dishes well!

edit on 1-3-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I went to a self-proclaimed fancy southern restaurant here in Chicago and they didn't have Sweet Tea.

Wow, for such a cultural city, I’m surprised to see them both culturally appropriate and commit a hate crime in one gesture.

Joking aside, I usually have to go half unsweet and half sweet. Some places can be ruthless with their amount of sugar in the tea lol.

Again, here it is best to make your own anyways. I use Orange Pekoe loose tea. When it’s really hot outside I add a little bit of mint too, just makes it extra refreshing.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That is sacrilegious! No one from the South would use canned gravy of any type- gross. Please don’t go there again you might not make it out alive next time.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Joking aside, I usually have to go half unsweet and half sweet. Some places can be ruthless with their amount of sugar in the tea lol.

That really bugs me. So many places don’t really know how to make it. It should be sweet, but not sickly sweet.
You should be able to taste the tea flavor.

edit on 1-3-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

For the most advanced ice tea drinkers, I like to use Assam or Darjeeling loose leaf tea. Heaven, pure Heaven!

Check out Adagio online. I get all my stuff from them, they have some of the best pearl oolong, and they have one of my favorites for the summer. Green tea, lemongrass, and mint. I buy in bulk and give it out with the mesh ball diffusers for birthdays and such.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Check out Adagio online. I get all my stuff from them, they have some of the best pearl oolong, and they have one of my favorites for the summer. Green tea, lemongrass, and mint. I buy in bulk and give it out with the mesh ball diffusers for birthdays and such.

So here’s the thing. I have enough tea to last at least 30 years. I’m not joking. People found out I like tea and then all my friends/family would gift me tea. I have not one, but two FULL cabinets with loose leaf tea.
My husbands coworkers family owns a tea plantation in India and guess what he brought me when he found out I love tea…

One of my favorites was a tea from Harrods in London. I’ll post a little snipped of my tea collection.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join