It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If time is money then you would lose a lot of money with electric car charging times.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Thinking about this logically, say you earn $40 dollars an hour, and you have to go to a public charging station, to charge up.

This could take from half an hour to 6 hours average.

If logically you add in your hourly income from work spending hours waiting for your car to charge.

You would be at a loss of $20.00 anywhere up to $240 to charge your car.

Realistically I can roll into a petroleum station charge up in ten minutes on my car that uses $50.00 of dinosaur juice.

I would only be down 6.66 if I took my hourly rate into account kets call it $70.00

So I would still be ahead by up to $170.00 if I had to charge an electric car. This does not consider the kilowatt hour cost to charge the ev.

Who also wants to deal with charge anxiety where a lot of stations are off line, you only find this out when you get to the charging station, as the apps only give you a location, they don’t tell you if it’s out of order.

You could pay over 2000 to put in a proper ev charger, though add this on top of your purchase price, you are down more.

Plus you need a smart phone to use your car and access charging apps, so for a good phone and data plan, this would cost another 1200 per year so you can use your car.

Lose your phone you are stuck!

Who can deal with this stress.
Let alone range anxiety, you put the heating or air con on you can only get half way, and you choose ti freeze or die if heat exhaustion.

Who can deal with this stress?
Then when you get to a charging station there’s only one sn 29 cars waiting to charge up.

Who can deal with this stress.

Plus the cheapest EV is 45k here. If I bought a 25 thousand dollar car I would already be well ahead in savings.

Plus add in the interest in s car loan, if I was strapped for cash I could buy a 5k car and still be miles ahead.

I don’t think anyone really looks at it in this way.

It’s logical.

www.carsguide.com.au...

edit on 27-2-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Actually I think full battery powered EVs are going to become unpopular in the next 5-10 years. If the wokies get their way the oil, coal, and natural gas power generators are going to be mostly closed in favor of wind and solar. The overall capacity of the electric grid is then going to fall off causing the price of a kilowatt to double or triple or more in price. And God help you if the car is charged during premium electric use periods. Then the states will shift over to a use taxation model where you'll be sent a bill for the miles driven. With special surcharges for specific areas and times of day. Rush hour mileage taxes double or triple. Downtown areas gets an automatic $20+ toll on a daily basis. You will be walking or taking a bus or else.

So eventually only the rich will be able to drive an EV. If and when they can charge it. And your fully electric house will cost a $1000 a month or more for the privilege of heat during the winter. And the same in the summer for air conditioning.

Democrats suck no matter how you cut it.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech

This is already happening the stupid state gubment led by scam andrews, has already started stupid projects for solar and wind farms.

Our coal powered stations are dud to be shut down in the next ten years.

All this is going to do is jack up prices by what you stated.

So soon enough everyday joes can’t even afford to charge their cars.

Victoria straya is a testing ground.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just put a wood burner in the house. Learn to ride a bike.

If you all don't know, there is a silent war going on against cycling due to there is no money to be made. They are pushing electric bicycles, but it's not going to work out in the long run.
The electric scooter in Taiwan is good because its an island. America is not an island.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Agreed MIM. I ride a pushbike to from work, it doesn’t cost too much to run.

I bought a reconditioned bike about 7 months ago, it is a Giant mountain bike cost $400.

Only had to replace the brake shoes, cost 30.00 front and rear.

Do my own maintenance, cheap as.

Electric bikes have their use though are expensive.

Though I have noticed the increase in electric scooters, worrying as the fools using the don’t even wear helmets, sometime no shoes, and they are cruising at about 40 to 50 kilometres an hour.

I wouldn’t ride without a helmet.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The problem with all current EVs is they are designed to be what people think of as cars and trucks. This makes them heavier than needed because the batteries take a lot of battery power to move the heavier batteries. This also adds to the weight of the frame to carry the heavy batteries.

There is a startup working on a different design entirely. It eliminates the heavy batteries by aircraft like design. It charges while setting in the Sun, up to 40 miles per day. It can charge 140 miles overnight with a regular 120v 15a plug. 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds. A 400 mile max range without charge at the launch configuration, 1000 mile to be available.

I think it might become the VW Beatle of the EV world. Small, efficient but functional for a lot of people. Technically it is classed as a motorcycle / autocycle.

At around $35.000 usd, it can compete with other new vehicles, if you can get past the need for more than 2 seats.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
a reply to: musicismagic

Agreed MIM. I ride a pushbike to from work, it doesn’t cost too much to run.

I bought a reconditioned bike about 7 months ago, it is a Giant mountain bike cost $400.

Only had to replace the brake shoes, cost 30.00 front and rear.

Do my own maintenance, cheap as.

Electric bikes have their use though are expensive.

Though I have noticed the increase in electric scooters, worrying as the fools using the don’t even wear helmets, sometime no shoes, and they are cruising at about 40 to 50 kilometres an hour.

I wouldn’t ride without a helmet.

I'll be starting another cycling tour of Japan this April. I have a Giant R3 Escape XS ( small, I'm a little short sh$$ ) I just joined a fb on cycling , be posting there.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The other side of charging times vs refueling times. It is quite clear that EV's in the long run are far more costly, and environmentally damaging (with what will be mountains of toxic batteries that last only around 10 years and cost as much as a cheap new gas vehicle today). Not to mention the strip mining damage of the minerals needed to make the batteries.

If you have to charge your vehicle, you are unable to travel long distances in a single day. Making you easier to keep track of. Of course with the mandatory government kill switch going into new vehicles, that double insures no comrade goes further from home than the government will allow without overt surveillance. www.msn.com...

Of course the left says this is absolutely necessary to save the planet and any and all unintended consequences and uses are simply insignificant collateral damage not worth mentioning. Rriigghhtt.

If the government wants to "lockdown" a city or region, for the good of the citizens or the nation, of course, all they will have to do is cut off the electricity until all the vehicles are dead.

Of course the liberal left will say this is a great idea, to contain virus', to keep migrants and other undesirables, like conservatives or as Biden administration FBI says "dangerous traditional Catholics", out of "their" cities. www.newsweek.com...

Electric vehicles insures its ignorant peon masses (as liberals view everyone who don't agree with them) are at the mercy of the government/state. Especially since the new law requiring all new vehicles have kill switches, will make sure you don't go where or do what the government doesn't want to allow.

This forbidding the production of gas powered cars means that within a decade or two the government can easily control how far any one can drive and if they will be allowed to drive anywhere without government oversight under the guise of the worship of Gaia. Of course, with the cost of EV soaring, and a limited amount of elements available to strip mine making them even more expensive, Ford's idea of everyone being able to buy a car will be long dead.

Forcing everyone into public transportation that also has a cost loss when one figures in the extra time needed to take public transportation. We see that clearly in air travel. Two hours at the front end sitting in the airport going through security, 2 hours in the plane, an hour deplaning and getting luggage add an hour if you get a rental car on the other end - minimum for most flights. You can drive 375 miles in about the same amount of time. The average EV today can only go 200 miles on a charge, adding an extra hour charging time, losing time $$, and money (cost of flying exponentially more than driving a powered auto). If you want to to say, well take the bus it's cheaper, so I input what I know to be a six hour drive by gas powered automobile, the bus costs $95 (cheaper), and takes 12hours and 40 minutes (time lost 6 hours and 40 minutes - times your hourly wage).

Right now, with gas powered automobiles, the peasants just have too much autonomy and freedom. Freedom is the antithesis of liberalism, where everyone must go, do, say and think only what liberals and Democrats allow, or else. Gas powered autos can not be allowed if one is to control the movements of conservatives and traditional Catholics, thus further keeping people with politically incorrect thoughts or ideas confined.

edit on 2/27/23 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

It depends on two factors:

1. How far do you drive on an average day?

2. Are you a homeowner?

Most electric cars these days have a range of around 200 miles, minimum. The average commute distance in the US is a little over 40 miles per day round trip. If that’s mostly how you use your car, then you almost never have to recharge anywhere other than at home. If you are a home owner, you can usually arrange to recharge your car at times when you don’t use your car and electricity rates are low. That’s usually at night. That’s how I’ve been using my EV for the last 4 years and the amount of time I’ve spent waiting for my car to charge is effectively zero.

However, EV manufacturers realize that not everyone is in this situation, so they are working to fix the problem. Before too many more years I think there will be certain designated stretches of highway where there will be buried electrical cables under the roadway that will inductively transfer energy to your car’s battery as you drive. That way, you could drive from coast to coast without ever having to stop specifically to recharge.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So charge at night while you sleep.

Yeah, yeah, I know. You live in an apartment and can't charge. Blah blah. I don't care. The issue is what will work most of the time for most people, and the idea that you will spend "time charging" is not an issue. For the average commuter 1 charge will last 1 week, just like a tank of gas.
edit on 2/27/2023 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

It depends on two factors:

1. How far do you drive on an average day?

2. Are you a homeowner?

Most electric cars these days have a range of around 200 miles, minimum. The average commute distance in the US is a little over 40 miles per day round trip. If that’s mostly how you use your car, then you almost never have to recharge anywhere other than at home. If you are a home owner, you can usually arrange to recharge your car at times when you don’t use your car and electricity rates are low. That’s usually at night. That’s how I’ve been using my EV for the last 4 years and the amount of time I’ve spent waiting for my car to charge is effectively zero.

However, EV manufacturers realize that not everyone is in this situation, so they are working to fix the problem. Before too many more years I think there will be certain designated stretches of highway where there will be buried electrical cables under the roadway that will inductively transfer energy to your car’s battery as you drive. That way, you could drive from coast to coast without ever having to stop specifically to recharge.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Will the power grid even be able to handle tens of millions of electric vehicles all charging at night? I can see charging limitations or certain areas only allowed to charge certain days of the week, etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
In the UK at the moment there are 660,000 EVs on the roads. Petrol and diesel cars 32,889,000.
Now with just that small number the UKs electric grid cannot handle these charging times or charging output as the grid at the moment is experiencing outages. AND with actual no forward plans to upgrade this failing system you tell me what is going to happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Same things are happening in Minnesota from what I hear as well. Shuttering the coal and natural gas power plants for solar and wind. If I have to hazard a guess in roughly 10 years or so Minnesota is going to have a nasty winter where it drops below 0 degrees F. for weeks at a time. That wind and solar won't handle the load and they will have a blackout that could last days or weeks even. People will die. Battery powered cars will grind to a stop. And then the national guard will have to do a house to house search for the human popsicles. Not to mention all the property damage from the burst pipes and other damage caused when houses and building go days/weeks in winter weather without heat.

The short sightedness of the wokies is amazing.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Looks like an Elio. www.eliomotors.com...

But after what? A 10-15 years wait for the gas powered version that never actually got into production? Won't hold my breath for it but if they ever got the gas version to market I'd consider that.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Very true, if they designed smaller electric vehicles perhaps for two people, somerthing like one of those Messerschmitt post war cars, as inner city use vehicles.

Most ev’s I see have a single occupant kind of a waste.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

It’s all well and good to go alternative, though there’s no discussion on maintaining a reliable base load generation.

This is where this push for solar and wind will fail.

The Victorian gubment are now rolling out suburban batteries to store your roof generated electricity, though the units only gave a ten year life and cost a million dollars each.

It’s really throwing good money after bad.

There needs to be consideration to maintain coal fired power stations to pump energy into the network during high demand.

Instead of blackouts snd brownouts happening.

What about people who have medical equipment that needs to be on permanently to support a life.

What the house holder then needs to install a diesel generator to ensure supply.

There’s no real thought put into what may happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Not to mention if you ever have to replace your battery for some reason it's a cool $20,000 replacment.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Now you are even more down in dollars. I cannot see any benefit of an electric car.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I refuse them on a multitude of levels.

It's all based on a lie about "environmental considerations".

Lithium mining is invasive, cobalt and rare earth minerals are invasive and produced with slave labor, and you're still burning fossil fuels to generate the electricity.

I'm a Fossil Fuels kind of gal.

Texas born and raised.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, and sure as hell don't lie about how it's "beneficial for the environment" when it's really nothing more than a slick marketing campaign to sucker in a bunch of well meaning and idealistic (but STUPID) hippies with more money than common sense.

edit on 2/27/23 by GENERAL EYES because: clarity

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join