It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4,500-year-old Sumerian temple dedicated to mighty thunder god discovered in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Saw this one pop up a couple days ago; 4,500-year-old Sumerian temple dedicated to mighty thunder god discovered in Iraq

Archaeologists in Iraq have unearthed the remains of a 4,500-year-old Sumerian temple dedicated to Ningirsu, the Mesopotamian god of springtime thunder, the British Museum has reported. The long-lost temple was built out of mud brick and was the spectacular centerpiece of the ancient city of Girsu, now an archaeological site known as Tello. "At the heart of the city of Girsu, we have discovered — and are still currently excavating — one of the most important sacred spaces of all ancient Mesopotamia: a temple dedicated to the chief god of Girsu," Sebastien Rey, a curator of ancient Mesopotamia and lead archaeologist at the British Museum in London, said in a presentation of the findings.

What makes the discovery (which was long in the making) interesting is how archeologists had a road-map of sorts to follow, inscribed on a statue of the king, giving them a lead on where to start their search.

Remarkably, the newly unearthed walls surrounding the sacred site perfectly match a map carved into the statue of king Gudea found during the early excavations.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Looking forward to hearing more! Thanks for posting.a reply to: Blackmarketeer

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Man, they got specific. Not just god of thunder, but god of springtime thunder. In the early evening. Before supper.

How did ANY mud-brick last 4,500 years when our modern concrete crumbles in a 100?

edit on 26-2-2023 by Mahogany because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Aliens.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Being buried under earth really helped it last of course. Jericho has mud-brick structures dating back to the neolithic - some 12,000 years old. Once ancient mud-brick is exposed though, archeologists have to move fast to keep it protected.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Man, they got specific. Not just god of thunder, but god of springtime thunder. In the early evening. Before supper.

Yes, just about tea time. (To quote The Life Of Brian.)

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Also, modern concrete sucks, might as well be designed to fail.

I only assume they built a temple for spring thunder specifically because it brings rain for crops

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Very much appreciate a post that has nothing to do with politics or covid or nonsense going on in this world currently ... Ancient history is one of my passions... Humanity has such a rich ancient past who were these people that built so many stunning temples and pyramids across the world...
I have had the pleasure of visiting much of these places and it does touch the soul in many ways
Egypt for me was the most profound I went there in 2015 with Graham Hancock .I plan to go back to Egypt later this year as long as the world doesn't drift further into madness .. I am very much fascinated by the Sumerian culture and the stories

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Super interesting.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ninurta (Sumerian: 𒀭𒊩𒌆𒅁: DNIN.URTA, possible meaning "Lord [of] Barley"),[1] also known as Ninĝirsu (Sumerian: 𒀭𒎏𒄈𒋢: DNIN.ĜIR2.SU, meaning "Lord [of] Girsu"),[2] is an ancient Mesopotamian god associated with farming, healing, hunting, law, scribes, and war who was first worshipped in early Sumer. In the earliest records, he is a god of agriculture and healing, who cures humans of sicknesses and releases them from the power of demons. In later times, as Mesopotamia grew more militarized, he became a warrior deity, though he retained many of his earlier agricultural attributes. He was regarded as the son of the chief god Enlil and his main cult center in Sumer was the Eshumesha temple in Nippur. Ninĝirsu was honored by King Gudea of Lagash (ruled 2144–2124 BC), who rebuilt Ninĝirsu's temple in Lagash. Later, Ninurta became beloved by the Assyrians as a formidable warrior. The Assyrian king Ashurnasirpal II (ruled 883–859 BC) built a massive temple for him at Kalhu, which became his most important cult center from then on.

Ninurta may have been the inspiration for the figure of Nimrod, a "mighty hunter" who is mentioned in association with Kalhu in the Book of Genesis. Conversely, and more conventionally, the mythological Ninurta may have been inspired by a historical person,[3] such as Ninus. He may also be mentioned in the Second Book of Kings under the name Nisroch.[a] In the nineteenth century, Assyrian stone reliefs of winged, eagle-headed figures from the temple of Ninurta at Kalhu were commonly, but erroneously, identified as "Nisrochs" and they appear in works of fantasy literature from the time period.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Great read that thanks for sharing!

I am sure theres a book to be written about all these old temples and gods and the invasions of Iraq.
Could wind that up into a great adventure story

top topics

join