It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-Grown Meat Is Made of Cancer Cells. Would You Like It Rare or Medium?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yeah, no thanks. Not that I ever intended to go out of my way to eat any, but I surely am not going to intentionally eat and entire meal of cancerous or precancerous cells. That is just stupid and begging for something bad to happen.

This excellent Bloomberg article clarifies that all lab meat is grown as immortalized tumor cells. As the article explains, these same cells are used to produce traditional vaccines.

The big honking asterisk is that normal meat cells don’t just keep dividing forever. To get the cell cultures to grow at rates big enough to power a business, several companies, including the Big Three, are quietly using what are called immortalized cells, something most people have never eaten intentionally. Immortalized cells are a staple of medical research, but they are, technically speaking, precancerous and can be, in some cases, fully cancerous.

Lab-Grown Meat Has a Bigger Problem Than the Lab

This should read "maybe not" as they have no idea.

Leading scientists agree that cultured meat products won’t give you cancer, but the industry doesn’t have the decades of data to prove it—so it’s trying to avoid the question instead.

The Big Three startups in the field—Believer Meats, Eat Just and Upside Foods—have raised more than $1.2 billion in combined venture funding to bring products to grocery shelves. From the Bay Area to the Middle East, their research facilities and pilot plants are producing small amounts of chicken that, by most accounts, you’d be hard-pressed to tell didn’t come from a slaughterhouse. Late last year, Upside became the first to receive the US Food and Drug Administration’s informal blessing to bring its products to market.

The big honking asterisk is that normal meat cells don’t just keep dividing forever. To get the cell cultures to grow at rates big enough to power a business, several companies, including the Big Three, are quietly using what are called immortalized cells, something most people have never eaten intentionally. Immortalized cells are a staple of medical research, but they are, technically speaking, precancerous and can be, in some cases, fully cancerous.
Don’t worry: Prominent cancer researchers tell Bloomberg Businessweek that because the cells aren’t human, it’s essentially impossible for people who eat them to get cancer from them, or for the precancerous or cancerous cells to replicate inside people at all. Critically, however, there’s no evidence that cultured meat cells are going to become cancerous in a diner’s body. Most of the scientists I spoke with for this story say that worst case, our digestive enzymes would break down any animal cancer cells we ate. If we wanted to, we could eat malignant chicken tumors by the bucketload. “It’s essentially impossible for a cell from one species to gain a foothold in the tissues of another species,” says Weinberg. “So even if one were to take highly malignant cells from a cow and drink them, I don’t see what the problem would be.”

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hmm tough choice, I'll take it rare hopefully it will kill me faster. Blah! Gross.

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

To get the cell cultures to grow at rates big enough to power a business, several companies, including the Big Three

Sounds like they're using up quite a bit of resources for little product.

No, I would not eat it willingly.

$54.54 for 3 steaks, granted those are good cuts (special occasion), the prices are killing the average person.

I certainly would not like to starve, but look how the prices are steering people to alternatives.

Still no though.

Edit: that same 3 pack of steaks were $17.00 just a couple years ago. People will eat what is given to them (us) if they're hungry enough.
edit on 24-2-2023 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Oh experts agreeing again? It’ll be different this time, promise.

edit on 24-2-2023 by Dalamax because: Eta

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I bet they were thinking, 'Hey, everything we're feeding them is causing them cancer....why dont we just feed them cancer.'

This makes me sick that they are messing with our food like this.

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I know where my beef comes from, I know the farmer and his wife who grow the cow personally and the owner of the place that we have it processed at. The cows eat organic natural grasses and hay and some organic mineral supplements. The beef is like most of the local beef was around here when I was a kid, it has flavor, it is not like the commercial beef these days.

The stores back in the sixties used to buy local beef processed locally and bought the halves of beef for their butchers to cut up. Now, it all comes in big plastic bags...the whole loins, the front quarters, the hind quarters, all wet aged and sealed. They then cut it up to sell in their stores. They could buy it fully processed like some stores do, but most of the smaller super markets still want butchers to cut up meat here. Sometimes they will buy big bulk burger sausages to sell in some bigger chain stores and that is starting to get more common now...and it is cheaper, some of that burger goes on cheap sales.

I won't knowingly eat lab grown meat, I also don't care for the taste of the plant based meats, they just don't taste right...I have tried them twice and someone else can eat my share of those.

Going to the gun clubs wild game feed tomorrow, lots of local caught and shot meats and fish on the menu, donated by the club members. The tickets are considered a fund raiser for the club, there are door prizes too. That is real meat, and there are lots of homemade deserts and side dishes too. I like supporting the gun club, I have been a member for years. If you shoot an animal and it has tumors, you are not supposed to eat it, same with fish. That is a recommendation of the DNR, yet the FDA says it is safe? I think that people in this country are going Hulu if they believe lab grown meat is as good as natural meat. All this does is get people to give more money to technology and scientists and take it away from farmers and ranchers. It cost money to take care of cows, the farmers do not get rich, but the companies making this lab grown meat will get rich.

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Two questions:

1) does it taste good?

2) will it give me cancer?

ETA

3) what does it cost?

4) What does the non cancer feed beef cost?
edit on 24-2-2023 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I look at it this way. If they need to engineer meat substitutes i would not doubt it goes against nature, just like in nature cancer never existed not too long ago, especially in children. WOW! who would have thunked it?

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I could not ever eat this kind of product. Just knowing what it is makes me gag thinking about it. I would be determined to die before ever eating something like this no matter how hungry I got, and there was a time in my life I went hungry for a week and ate ketchup and mustard mixed together.

posted on Feb, 24 2023 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You will eat the raw cancer cells or else.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Islandparty

I like the "REAL STUFF" ribeye med well 160 F Grass Fed Pennsylvania Black Angus, wife of 46 years says I'm Picky.... Oh well I'm still me.... And still Kickin..... Edit to add still cancer free, IMO Keep blood (IMO NOT A DR) above 7.32 alcoalinity ,.....Cancer Likes an acid blood. level IMO..... I take bacon soda 1 teaspoon in a glass of water every morning.....Just me everyone on my side died of cancer, I at 70 am still thank God Cancer Free.....

edit on 25-2-2023 by ZED332L because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 03:57 AM
link   

edit on 2/25/23 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
“It’s essentially impossible for a cell from one species to gain a foothold in the tissues of another species,” says Weinberg. “So even if one were to take highly malignant cells from a cow and drink them, I don’t see what the problem would be.”

So, I'll make you a deal Mr. Weinberg, you drink and eat these malignant cells every day for the next 10 years, and if you're still alive, I ... well, honestly, I still won't even consider it.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Everything natural must be destroyed and taken away from humans and into the realm of the megacorps for the 4th industrial revolution to succeed.

Everything humans hve done for millenia,including everything which allowed us to become the alpha species of this planet-must be torn to shreds and rebuilt in a way which strips away anything which we once held dear.

They call it progress-But it is not.This is the fall.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Until is pass by congress, the frankenmeat and fish is unrestricted and unlabeled, soo you may have to become very savvy on how to choose your meats and fish, because they will display them with the rest of the regular meats and confuse you.

I will never, ever touch that crap like I do not touch processed foods and GMO products.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Very well done with gravy because it seems very high temperatures can kill cancers cells outright. Microwave radiated too?

Or with a new invention, perhaps called a Chromatin Cooker, which will kill all cancer cells but leave the remaining cancer-free meat raw. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Based on their discovery, the researchers hypothesized that altering the structure of chromatin to make it more orderly could be one way of boosting cancer cells’ vulnerability to treatment.

On further investigation, the team found that they could modify chromatin’s structure by altering electrolytes in the nucleus of cancer cells.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...-chromatin-to-kill-cancer
edit on q00000000228America/Chicago5454America/Chicago2 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

top topics

join