It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any members from Civil Air Patrol, USAF-AUX here at ATS??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I was just curious if any CAP members (besides myself) were on the ATS boards. Former Cadet in the 1980's and 1990s, and after about a 20 year absense back as a Sr. Member.

Current Grade: Major

Active in both Emergency Services and Cadet Programs.

Just curious.

www.gocivilairpatrol.com

See the above link if you are curious to what civil air patrol is and does.
edit on 14-2-2023 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SrWingCommander

Hey there. Usually a lurker but I’ll take the bait.

Especially since I enjoyed CAP so much.

Former Cadet Commander and C/Capt. Helped with some SAR’s. Fortunate enough to attend Hawk Mountain back in the day.

-Cheers

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Was a cadet. Had a lot of fun and learned good stuff. My very favorite part was the old guys that took us up in their private planes too. Like an old bi-wing. Got to take controls & fly quite a bit (especially in the Cub) but obviously no take-offs or landings. Great memories---thanks!

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SrWingCommander

II am a retired Incident Commander Triage Spec/EMTv. Ive been in Emergency Mgmnt for years n years training w every-damn-unit you can think of. I cant remember doing any training with or about the Civi Air Patrol, but that's just me.

What was increased in the Civil Ham Radio Operators in Emergencies...I'm unclear today 2023, of the function as we've (Team)...never discussed it as it's not in our protocol.

But, I'll find out how we see it these days.

MStranger/1st Responder/EMT
FEMA, Dept H.land Security, C.E.R.T.
Region 2 South
Wayne County, Mi

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Additionally, I know the C.A.P. is an Aux of the Air Force, although not paid, volunteers.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well a few former members. I would have thought a few more would be here. Guess I'll monitor and see.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I went to one of their meetings a few months ago, wanted to see if my kid would want to join. The head guy was a pompous twat, and without knowing my background he runs his mouth like I’m some non rated joe, acting like he’s some super hero pilot. What a compete turn off. Watching these old guys strap into a 182 in full on flight suits, aviators, face palm.

Talked to someone on the airport, says the CAP only allows certain people to fly, the kids might be able to ride in the back seat some times, but they usually have two fat observers crammed in the back.

The local flight school is the real way to go unfortunately here.

Edit: my kid is in the HS AFJROTC, prospect for the academy, non of that matters to the CAP, LMAO!

edit on 20-2-2023 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Lol I flew the 182’s all the time, not sure what you’re on about. Took off, long distance, stalls, high angle turns, gliders. Obviously a senior member was there to assist but we would fly once every 1-2 months at least..

Most of the senior members I met conducted themselves professionally and similar to standard military decorum. You must have met a bad Apple and a top gun wannabe that worked at the air port..
edit on 20-2-2023 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Unfortunately, there are some squadrons run like that. By and large that is slowly being stamped out but it depends on the Wing (State) level and how close they work with and/or are inspected and monitored by the USAF.

By CAP/USAF regs CAP Cadets get 5-6 paid for front seat hands on orientation flights (and unlimited backseat rides). There are also several summer powered flight academies that are about 7-10 days long with flight training for cadets with the goal of solo flight before the end of the academy. There is also the Cadet Wings Program which provides up to $10,000 in flight scholarships that they can take to a flight school OR use with a CAP aircraft and instructor, which is far less expensive. Both of these programs are competitive, with the average cadet having actively participated in the program about 2 years or so before being eligible. But the guy you "talked to at the airport" is misinformed, or again that local squadron probably has issues.

Anywhere from 5 to 15 percent of incoming USAF Academy Cadets are CAP Cadets.

If your kid is USAF JROTC in HS he can stick with that and get similar (but somewhat different) experiences. But he can also be dual enrolled in both programs. In addition, AFJROTC cadets can receive the same orientation flights as CAP Cadet, but the ROTC unit needs to reach out to CAP. There are some more programs on the horizon for more corporation between the cadets of both programs. But it sounds like the local unit isn't very cadet focused.

As far as the flight suits in the 182, the USAF buys the planes and so the paperwork and uniforms apply; and both USAF regs and CAPs corporate insurance requires we be "in uniform" when functioning, although most people fly in the corporate polo (there have been times in the past where the USAF required the flight suits).

If you want to PM me, I'd be curious to know about the unit. Or I would encourage you to see if there are other squadrons nearby.
edit on 21-2-2023 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

top topics

join