It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Scars -FYI2023 -non writer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Scars. Old Scars. They don't hurt anymore. Hell, not even new ones do it seems. They just ache. Achy, old scars.

Laying in the dark silent room. Internal clock estimates nearly an hour of sleep. That's a good nights rest anymore. I draw a deep breathe thru the oft broken, slightly mangled nose on my face. The cold air makes the crushed nasal passages throb. Creaking, popping ribs, sharp pangs here and there. I'm pretty sure the three on the left are cracked. Nothing to do about them now.

I roll my burning eyes under sandpaper eyelids. Neck and back twisted up like an old lightning struck tree. A slight roll of my shoulders brings the familiar feeling of crushed glass grinding in my shoulder joints. Hips, knees...easier to check off what doesn't ache.....well, that's a short goddamn list. Time to get moving, Death rises with the dawn. People are going to die today, a lot of them. Ours? Theirs? Me? Doesn't matter too much in the Grand Scheme of things.

I set my feet on the splintery floor. I recall it's covered in nails, broken glass and bits of shrapnel...meh, new scars. I shuffle across the floor in total darkness in the direction of the can, familiar bite of foreign objects tearing into my soles. I'll have to remember to pull them out before booting up. I turn on the dim, flickering light and catch myself in a dirty, cracked mirror. Bones poking at odd angles. Skin just a mass of old scars stretched across muscle and bones.

Just old scars.

The end?
edit on 13-2-2023 by Moon68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Thanks for submitting your Story.

Wish you success in the Contest!

*PS.. dont forget to create a link in the Contest thread pointing back to your Story here.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   
bombs suck. ty

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   

edit on 2132323 by BeNotAfraid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

Interesting you said that. I took all of 2 minutes to throw that together and I got to thinking about it driving home yesterday. I started to think about storyboarding it into a military sci-fi tale. Maybe a book.
edit on 14-2-2023 by Moon68 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join