It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions in Stolen COVID Assistance Funds Likely Gone Forever: Rep. Smith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Billions in Stolen COVID Assistance Funds Likely Gone Forever: Rep. Smith

(or if you prefer Zerohedges presentation style: Billions In Stolen COVID Assistance Funds Likely Gone Forever: Rep. Smith)

A rush to provide financial assistance to Americans forced out of their jobs in the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a $191 billion bonanza for fraudsters, according to chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.).

“There’s no question folks needed help, which is exactly why Congress should have protected this program and those who needed it against the criminals who exploited it to commit fraud,” Smith wrote in a statement released at a hearing on Feb. 8.

Yeah, that's $191 Billion which the taxpayer simply 'contributed' to the government's efforts to heroically save everyone... but they didn't bother to implement any method for verifying eligibility or accountability. "No time for that," seems to be the reasoning behind the lapse... but here was sure enough time to institutionalize harsh treatment for anyone still worried about the particulars of the now infamous "COVID event" of the 21st century.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in April 2020, the unemployment rate reached a record high of 15 percent after lockdowns to slow the spread of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as the novel coronavirus, closed many businesses. Between March 14, 2020, and April 18, 2020, weekly unemployment claims increased dramatically from 225,500 to 5.3 million.

Two points here that I am compelled to make:

1) Calling this the "CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus" is political nonsense. Whatever this virus is, wherever it originated, I can't imagine calling it a "communist party" virus unless it only infected communist party members. This 'journalistic' designation is an editorialization of reality meant to stoke anger and direct the reader to think of it, not as a virus, but as a weapon of ideology... it's the kind of thing I would fault anyone for doing. Whether I agree with them generally or not (I'm unforgiving that way.)

2) The 'numbers' provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics are hardly believable... this is the same organization that has been repeatedly busted for fudging the numbers whenever it "feels" like it - whether to serve the political machinery, or the Fed. Their assertion that within a one-month period unemployment is said to have surged by over 5 million people... sounds like they needed some 'scary numbers' to justify there "emergent need" to sequester almost a quarter of a trillion dollars to the government bureaucrats to disperse without meaningful oversight...

And now here comes the "misdirection:"

Three expert witnesses told the committee some things could and should be done to prevent future problems. But, when it comes to recovering the billions of tax dollars lost to criminals, they held out little hope. Much of that money was lost to organized fraud rings in Nigeria, China, Russia, and other countries.

An examination of exactly who availed themselves of this "relief" demonstrates that the actual amount "lost" is much greater... including law firms, accounting firms, and other 'white collar' "small businesses" who all received the emergency money... mid-level and large businesses also "took advantage" of the funding giveaway with little real need. And the hundreds of thousands of 'mom and pop" businesses that shuttered, ultimately for good, got nothing.

Rep. Bradley Schneider (D-Ill.) said the situation was dire from the start.

“We had a five-alarm fire raging out of control, and we were fighting it with water passed in buckets, and the buckets had holes in them,” Schneider said.

Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.) said she was told that up to 80 percent of calls to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development went unanswered at the height of the pandemic.

“No one was ready for this pandemic,” she told the Committee.

It was because no one was ready for the pandemic response that the money was ostensibly allocated... but it solved nothing, relieved precious few, and most of them probably didn't need it.... I say they because clearly they didn't actually use it to any great effect. The nation's economy was gutted...

Rep. Gregory Murphy (R-N.C.) was blunt in his assessment of the problem.

Congress did not do its job. If we don’t know where (money) goes or how it’s going, we’re out of business,” he said.

(bold is mine)

In that regard, I agree with the senator. Now if they just did their job some of the time I might be less bitter. They were warned of this happening if they proceeded with their "plan,"- and they did it anyway...

Experts warn about big dollar fraud in $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package

... almost as if that was part of the "plan."

edit on 2/10/2023 by Maxmars because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.) said she was told that up to 80 percent of calls to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development went unanswered at the height of the pandemic.

“No one was ready for this pandemic,” she told the Committee.

I have to call bull crap on that statement.

Event 201 was a 3.5-hour pandemic tabletop exercise that simulated a series of dramatic, scenario-based facilitated discussions, confronting difficult, true-to-life dilemmas associated with response to a hypothetical, but scientifically plausible, pandemic. 15 global business, government, and public health leaders were players in the simulation exercise that highlighted unresolved real-world policy and economic issues that could be solved with sufficient political will, financial investment, and attention now and in the future.

If that's the case, why are we spending the big bucks on worthless training exercises?

Similar to the Center’s 3 previous exercises—Clade X, Dark Winter, and Atlantic Storm—Event 201 aimed to educate senior leaders at the highest level of US and international governments and leaders in global industries.

[www.centerforhealthsecurity.org...]

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

But I bet the luncheon after the 3.5-hour tabletop exercise was epic. Afterward followed by cocktails and networking opportunities. Imagine the level of hubris at roleplaying something this important ... and then not paying any real attention to it at all.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So what is the timeline history of the first covid relief Bill ?

Like who started it from Day1 ?

😎

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

(H.R. 748 (Middle Class Health Benefits Tax Repeal Act of 2019) (passed on January 24, 2019)... introduced by Joe Courtney (D) of Connecticut.

Here's the text of the big 2.2 trillion dollar "CARES" act www.govinfo.gov...

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Thanks, that's what I was looking for 😎

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   
We funded our enemies - again. There's not much time left.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 10:36 PM
link   
"Stolen" aka laundered.

Just like the 120 billion given to Ukraine.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Bernie Sanders ordered states to send babysitters, piano teachers, doordash delivery people, etc, $1600 @ week from April 2020 thru Sept 2021.

We cleaned up!

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Bernie Sanders ordered states to send babysitters, piano teachers, doordash delivery people, etc, $1600 @ week from April 2020 thru Sept 2021.

We cleaned up!

The difference is... you didn't steal it. And frankly, that is what it was intended for... not so companies could expand their profitability. And boy did they.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join