It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR-15 ban, waiting period advance at New Mexico Capitol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:29 PM
link   

SANTA FE — A proposal to ban AR-15-style rifles in New Mexico began moving through the Roundhouse on Tuesday as Democratic legislators pursue aggressive new gun-control measures intended to address mass shootings and other crime.

One rancher called the proposals a “declaration of war” on gun owners.

“A right delayed is a right denied,” San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari said. “This is going to prevent people from protecting themselves against their aggressors.

“Let’s go after the bad guys, not law abiding citizens.”

Rep. Stefani Lord, R-Sandia Park, said the proposed restrictions would abridge people’s right to self defense.

“This bill is hugely problematic for me on so many levels,” she said of the proposed ban.

AR-15 ban, waiting period advance at New Mexico Capitol

They are trying to generationally revoke our gun rights. This isn't going to a pleasant place.
edit on PMWednesday3pm2339271Wed, 08 Feb 2023 23:30:39 -0600302 by livinglight108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: livinglight108

Lex iniusta non est lex--St. Augustine. When all the guns have been banned and all the words censored. When all the history removed and freedoms taken...You'll discover why our right to bear arms was so high on the list.

"To conquer a nation, First disarm it's citizens." -Adolf Hitler

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It just boils down to the '2nd like the '2nd shot heard around the world. Let's wait.
Also notice a 'ban' which is unconstitutional itself. That's why the 2nd amendment is never mentioned at all.

edit on 2 8 2023 by Ilikesecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 12:10 AM
link   

On a series of party-line votes, members of a House committee advanced legislation to establish a two-week waiting period for firearm purchases and prohibit the sale and possession of certain semiautomatic rifles and handguns.

Of course, these restrictions apply equally to everyone, right?

I mean, a member of the ATF or FBI would be subject to the same restrictions as anyone else in New Mexico. If they came into the state with banned weapons they would serve the same jail time as your average homeowner.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

On a series of party-line votes, members of a House committee advanced legislation to establish a two-week waiting period for firearm purchases and prohibit the sale and possession of certain semiautomatic rifles and handguns.

I mean, a member of the ATF or FBI would be subject to the same restrictions as anyone else in New Mexico. If they came into the state with banned weapons they would serve the same jail time as your average homeowner.

Absolutely.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 02:09 AM
link   

"One rancher called the proposals a “declaration of war” on gun owners."

um yeah...

This one rancher summed it up perfectly. imagine if such regulatory vigor was applied to the FIRST, FOURTH, or FIFTH!!!???

Then what???

You morons who think you can have one WITHOUT the other are just that; MORONS.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   
There are some law suits in California that might just eliminate a lot of these gun ban problems.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I'll say this like I do on ARCOM stop obeying these unconstitutional bull snip.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 05:56 AM
link   
NM…what a S#ithole. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, not what I was expecting when visiting.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

It doesn't apply to Drug Cartels and other Gang Members.

There really does need to be a shot heard round the country.

No more.

edit on 9-2-2023 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I find it interesting that the US Constitution affirms "the right to bear ARMS ( not nec fire-arms).

Though I do suppose as gun tech gets more wild, suppressors too avail legally...we need some kinda something.

Otherwise...I'd be driving round in a Bradley tank. My "choice" of "arms!". You know! As in the Constitution !!!

Every Day Lisc Carrier

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I find it interesting that the US Constitution affirms "the right to bear ARMS ( not nec fire-arms).

Though I do suppose as gun tech gets more wild, suppressors too avail legally...we need some kinda something.

Otherwise...I'd be driving round in a Bradley tank. My "choice" of "arms!". You know! As in the Constitution !!!

Every Day Lisc Carrier

If you have a heavy machinery operator license you can drive one around,just not kitted out with the Destructive devices.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Sir? Don't I know it! This is Detroit. We got stuff here!😉

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Nothing like the fear of gun banning to make sales go wild!

As usually, gun advocates provide no solution to gun violence. And not sure banning ARs are going to solve mass shootings.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Turquosie

In all honesty, we've screamed the solution for a long time. Take care of the mental health issues, and that doesn't mean just throwing handfuls of prescription drugs at them.

Going after the tool is just going to make them seek out another tool. Not to mention the fact that criminals don't care about the laws.

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

Mental health is definietly an issue. But that doesn't mean we can only focus on one issue to address the problem. Is there not a way to prevent people with mental issues from owning guns? There does seem to be a problem with how easy it is to buying and sell guns.

For example, I was watching a documentary about a family of Americans whose sole profession was to buy up guns (legally) and then sell them to cartels.

I wholly believe in being able to defend oneself but being able to buy unlimited weapons and sell them through the black market isn't self-defense.

I don't know what the awnser is but mental health and access to guns should both be looked at. I feel like the far left anti-gun crowd won't acknoldge the mental issues and pharma links reovlving around mass shooters. At the same time, the ultra pro-gun NRA crowd won't ever accept that access to guns may be an issue.

I don't have an awnser but it'd be nice if people could have an open discussion and debate. Which I don't see the media doing..
edit on 11-2-2023 by Turquosie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2023 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlysyn
a reply to: Turquosie

In all honesty, we've screamed the solution for a long time. Take care of the mental health issues, and that doesn't mean just throwing handfuls of prescription drugs at them.

Going after the tool is just going to make them seek out another tool. Not to mention the fact that criminals don't care about the laws.

A hammer can build a house, or take life that doesn't belong to you.

A gun can defend one's life, one's families life, one's societies lives or take life that doesn't belong to one to take.

It's a matter of ethics which sadly are obviously not being taught either by parents, schools, and medias.

posted on Feb, 16 2023 @ 12:55 AM
link   
They arent banning these weapons this for your safety.
Just know that.
edit on 16-2-2023 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join