It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk after wood burner now.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Councils haven't got the resources to enforce this - too involved in woke politics or pursuing non-payment of council tax, unpaid parking fines and other acts of criminal extortion.

The Police have their own concerns at the moment with a complete lack of public confidence in their ability to do their job. The last thing they need is provoking even more anti-police publicity and sentiment due to aggressive policing of this.

Unless someone is burning truly noxious material and/or producing large amounts of smoke that is a nuisance to their neighbours this will go more or less ignored.

As has been quite clearly explained; this legislation is more about trying to prevent the burning of unseasoned wood, for obvious reasons.

I suspect the motivation behind this thread is more about trying to use anything and everything to make the UK look like some sort of authoritarian state than anything else.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: paraphi

So the occasional idiot who tries to burn wet wood, requires all encompassing legislation for your safety?

Yes, in the same way the occasional idiot who drives down the High St at 80mph whilst drunk requires all encompassing legislation for our safety.

The new legislation is simply to combat those who burn fuels that produce pollutants which, in turn, contribute to thousands of deaths every year.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
in my last home you'd see the locals with saws and wheelbarrows cutting down the trees for winter logs.. now I suspect they're making lots of money selling the excess to the middle class who cornered the market on solid fuel burners.

You know, that's something I have never seen. Do you live in some form of 17th century time warp land, or something?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw
This is a surburban estate built by the Council, in which most of my neighbours are now home-owners (most of them not the original tenants). So not quite middle class. Perhaps more what the Victorians would have called "lower middle class".

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:13 AM
link   

I usually associate such snide replies with Americans but then we have loads of middle class American clones in this country now..

you could have just asked where and I'd have told you the union (workhouse) in the fishing port of Newhaven just outside Brighton.. but oh no its a slide to the snide rather than be civil..

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
I usually associate such snide replies with Americans but then we have loads of middle class American clones in this country now..

Sorry, but please don't take my remark as snide. But truly, I have never seen people sawing wood and trucking it about in wheelbarrows. I live - and have lived in - parts of the country (UK) that contain rural poor. Seen people nicking gates, though!

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2
Will someone turn up and measure the hourly emissions though?
The permissable smoke emission has been reduced from 5g an hr to 3g an hr.

Do you measure yours?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

the 20k council homes on the estate I grew up on in Brighton now sell for 800k+. so pretty much priced out of even owning council homes in my home town of Brighton so I ended up slumming it in Newhaven, where a lot of the council homes still have open fires when i brought mine only a couple of rooms even had electric sockets.. that part of the coast is still far from the 80s central heating revolution.. so seeing the wheel barrows and saws always made me laugh but poverty is not so funny..

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Doubt it, don't you.

The new regulations mean that efficient wood burning stoves will be sold, coupled with a crackdown on unseasoned wood, which is polluting. Efficient stoves and seasoned wood = low emissions. It's likely that sellers of unseasoned wood will clean up their acts, or fall foul of the new regulations. No one is going to chase people down, because it's an impossible ask.

Old stoves - in situ, and open fires are not part of the equation, as they were in place before the new regulations, so people are not being compelled to buy new.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:36 AM
link   

accepted you where being genuine.. its hard to quantify Newhaven as rural poor more a dumping ground for various councils especially London.. while Dieppe upgraded their town Newhaven continues to slide.. its the reason I moved away as the hope it would mirror Dieppe evolution was lost when the port was sold (to the French)

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw
My house cost me less than 120 thousand, and the houses in this road would not fetch 150 thousand now. Lincolnshire- less desirable.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 05:51 AM
link   

As these new regulations for wood burning stoves apply to the manufacture of new stoves, you can still use existing wood burning stoves even if they don’t meet the new standards. Although if you live in a smoke control area, this may not be the case as there are other criteria you’ll need to meet.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The granny can get around any smoke measures by having a BBQ in the garden...................

Get her a BBQ of the Weber type like half a tennisball with legs
Collect sticks fro the hedgerows, keep a bahco saw in the back of the car, any wood collect it, stick in boot
Light loads of small branches and sticks in the weber
get cooking pot from Lakeland, fill with water
Go to Lidl, get a sack of spuds for £3.50 tip some in the pot
Frozen carrots, collyflower, green beans from Iceland, tip em in the pot
Finish by throwing a piece of meat into the now warming gravy on the fire or Korma sauce etc if a veggy
Have a nice meal, also she's stayed warm, and if she is a UFOlogist then the added bonus of sky above

When neighbours complain she needs to say "just having a BBQ"

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
That's the kind of thing I would do to give the 'middle finger'

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Too right Angel
an it's nice to get one over the carbons providers and tax collectors too

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

"I suspect the motivation behind this thread is more about trying to use anything and everything to make the UK look like some sort of authoritarian state than anything else."

Spot on. It's pretty tedious.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:25 AM
link   
MSM reporting again today on dangerous wood. I guess the rotational 'dangerous dogs season' has passed for them................... "Arsenic found in London air raises fears over use of waste wood as fuel
Many people warming homes with wood from construction sites unaware of health risks, say experts" www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Do you measure yours?

No. Mine is @ ten years old.

You seem to be making a lot of fuss about nothing.

I have to ask, what's it to you anyway?

It's no big thing here.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If you can't burn wood perhaps politicians given their drinking habits might generate some BTUs?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Quite cold today. I'll chuck another politician on the fire.

🔥🔥🔥

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join