It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk after wood burner now.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: anonentity

THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF ‘CURFEW’ WAS ‘COVER THE FIRE’.

The word is from Old French and Anglo-Norman forms such as cuevre-feu and covrefeu, hence the Modern French word couvre-feu (plural couvre-feux), composed of:
– couvre, imperative of the verb couvrir, to cover,
– feu, meaning fire.
wordhistories.net...

Neat.

Learned something new.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Also, burning unseasoned/wet wood is going to make a mess in your chimney flue and could lead to a chimney fire.

Then you get idiots that burn wood treated with creosote and stuff which is really anti social.

These new regs are being misrepresented on here and the hyperbole and hysteria is just unwarranted.

We have a log burner and use locally sourced seasoned wood, coffee logs and smokeless coal.

Won't be getting a knock on the door any time soon.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Not any time soon, then why even consider such legislation?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It's for new log burners. Burning wet /unseasoned wood is a bad thing.

Which you would know if you actually had one.
Just common sense, which seems to be lacking round here.

If you actually bothered to research the new regs instead of relying on Bitshute you might be better informed and less over the top.

Mine is @ 10 years old.

No old age pensioners are going to prison.

Sorry to disappoint.

Next?

edit on 8-2-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Great information thanks.

Just some videos to complement your thread.

And this guy being sarcastic about who is really behind these draconian plans to take away our freedom.

Just an ordinary guy being sarcastic about what is really happening but even from just an ordinary guy's point of view his videos are good and he's made quite a few.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Mate , they will all be smoke-free zones soon. Any vestige of freedom and independence is being chipped away at.

I agree. I have a remote acreage in the bush (lived here 10 years retired) and only a month ago while cleaning up some refuse we started a small fire, contained, safe etc. About a metre wide. I was contemplating getting some spuds in foil and cooking while 'true love' was on the mower clearing. Very little smoke from the branches I had picked up.

About an hour later a large volunteer bush fire brigade unit turned up, Three men who had been called out and driven some 30 kilometres. I was gobsmacked. The ground was damp, it was overcast with a forecast of rain. Seems someone had reported smoke to 'fire control' and there was an 'out of control fire' at my address.

There was less smoke than my pizza oven or combustible fireplace in the house. But it was reported. I explain and even the fire captain was pretty peed off at receiving the report in the first place and let fire control know that via radio. Sunday afternoon, these men had better things to do.

Might be a bit off topic but that's the way it is nowadays even in the hinterland of the North Coast.

Kind regards,

Bally.

I didn't have to put it out so I eventually cooked the spuds.

I understand with the fires over 2 years ago people around here may be on edge but a bit of common sense would prevail if instead of reporting my address they could save time and money for the brigade units and come and have a look themselves.

Out in the bush a cooking, warming fire can be a necessity.
edit on 8-2-2023 by bally001 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: JinMI
Keep tossing money into Ukraine while hoping the russian sanctions are working........

Getting it yet??

This sounds a lot like a Winter of Death to me.

Looks like the sanctions are working, at least...

BAMN

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Heres one:

'The people are freezing Your Majesty!'
'Then let them dance!'

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Newsflash for you.

We ain't freezing.

Have you actually read the new regs?

It's common sense.

Do you have a wood burner?

If so, do you think it's a good idea to burn wet/unseasoned logs in it?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

No , and no. I just felt like making a joke.
Since it doesn't pertain to me, I didn't read it, and I am not going to.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Fair enough. Noted.

Meh....

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Most of the woodland parks near me, cut down trees dead/dying and leave them where they fall or close off road. They cut them into 4-5 foot sections, so no good for sawmills or other carpentry. They leave them in the park.... and make it illegal to come in and get them to haul away even for firewood.

This is Braintree, MA - one of the most colonial towns in the US...

It's ok to burn plastic bags and PT wood in your 50 gal drum in the yard, but only January Thru March.
edit on 8-2-2023 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Let Him Eat Crow........

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

that's common just about everywhere.

My Dad and I did it for several years when was between jobs and his age was held against him.

We installed a very nice wood stove upstairs, and in the basement--cut many cords of wood for the winter. Sold quite a lot of it, as well. Good money doing something I really enjoyed doing--working with a chainsaw, splittin' firewood.

We'd go up into the nat'l forest cut fir and pine--along with some cedar when we could find it. Locust, apple and cherry (from local orchards when they'd remove old trees-I'd go cut 'em up and usually sell it all, for good money.), even scrubby oak.

That fire wood helped many a poor family, my own included, get through cold winters, without having to buy oil, or gas--or hideous electric bills.

All it cost was money for gas for the truck and chain saw--we'd even, occasionally, get a permit

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I certainly hope you're right.

But regulations have a habit of being enforced at odd times, in odd places. Suddenly it's not just box ticking, but overly impactful on people least able to deal with it.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Most of the woodland parks near me, cut down trees dead/dying and leave them where they fall or close off road. They cut them into 4-5 foot sections, so no good for sawmills or other carpentry. They leave them in the park.... and make it illegal to come in and get them to haul away even for firewood.

Yes, and quite right too. Dead and rotting wood in the environment is a critical component of a diverse ecosystem. It's not good to keep natural areas tidy. Nature's not tidy.

In the UK, people should not be randomly collecting wood from the land unless they have permission and rights to do so. Certainly, if they are collecting wet wood for domestic consumption, then they are mugs.

Unseasoned wood produces mess and less heat. It is a polluter. Wood - or logs - for domestic consumption in the UK is mostly hardwood, and has either been commercially kiln dried, or stored to dry out naturally for c. two years.

Some people cannot tell if the wood they are using has high or low moisture content (seasoned versus unseasoned). The new regulations in the UK make it clear that wood for sale must be seasoned, thus provide assurance of its quality. People who think this is a bad idea have lost the plot.

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 02:55 AM
link   

So the occasional idiot who tries to burn wet wood, requires all encompassing legislation for your safety?

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Not quite "now". This was a decision announced at least a year ago. At the time of the announcement I checked with a friend in Wales, who does use wood for heating. She explained that it was only certain kinds of wood that were banned (or certain kinds of wood that were allowed).

(Yes, there are neighbours who don't like wood burning. I believe there are private mutterings when I use my garden incinerator, but it remains legal as long as I don't do it often enough to cause a nuisance.)

But I don't think a left-wing government is less likely to impose "climate change" laws, so this one being Conservative (as headlined by your link) is beside the point.

edit on 9-2-2023 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

(Yes, there are neighbours who don't like wood burning. I believe there are private mutterings when I use my garden incinerator, but it remains legal as long as I don't do it often enough to cause a nuisance.)

sounds like the typical middle class NIMBY area..

in poor areas left and rights, even the greenies its things like tyre car burning that are considered a nuisance an incinerator is someone cleaning up a mess.

I can not see the local labour council or greenies doing f-all about it as they know they'll be on a loser, they can't even deal with the tyre burning now the local tip charges to dispose of tyres.. reality is no one is going to choose being colder because the middle class greenies want them to be, in the same way the council did f-all in the lockdowns to stop the tourists, gatherings or beach parties.. (It had a holiday camp atmosphere here as French Dutch and Londoners escaped their respective places)

in my last home you'd see the locals with saws and wheelbarrows cutting down the trees for winter logs.. now I suspect they're making lots of money selling the excess to the middle class who cornered the market on solid fuel burners.

reality simply doesn't stop because some middle class academics want a different reality.. be it prohibition or imagined bans n cash, solid fuel or cars.. the world just doesn't work that way..

posted on Feb, 9 2023 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

So the occasional idiot who tries to burn wet wood, requires all encompassing legislation for your safety?

only in some middle class areas where they get upset about such things.. these are the kinds of people you'd mistake for us democrats be they labour, conservative, green or libdem. it really doesn't matter they are us democrat clones...
edit on 9-2-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join