It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how prepared are you for a SHTF scenario

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: whyamIhere
My neighbor has a pretty good stock.

I plan on shooting him first.

I hope you're joking. Because if not, you're the first type of people I'm taking out of the picture. For the good of humanity. Or what's left of it.

Y'all must be neighbors...

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
My neighbor has a pretty good stock.

I plan on shooting him first.

He's probably thinking the same about you!

But you described the shtf scenario perfectly. It will be anarchy, chaos, and bloody.

If you don't have a crew you can trust; you're FUBAR.

I feel sorry for the kids that will have to live or die with this nightmare, be it civil war or something else.
edit on 7-2-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   
100 x shop.baxters.com...

100 x shop.baxters.com...

100x seelans.com...

Masses of Buxton spring water. Collected from the tap in Buxton

* Rotation of the water is regular while the food tins takes place at work for din dins.

4 x www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk...

2 x www.dnaleisure.co.uk... + loads of bolts + strings

1 x www.dnaleisure.co.uk... + loads of bolts + strings

1 x www.amazon.co.uk... single handle

2 x www.thelightershop.co.uk...

3 x www.nafeco.com... + loads of nicads

add water bottles, tents, sleeping bag, Bergen, clothing, boots, first aid kit, etc

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Guess I'm outta luck.

Shot all my ammo and on the way back from the range, all my guns were lost in a houseboat fire. Burned up and sank to the bottom. I ate all my food in despair over losing them.

Never. EVER. tell people what you have.

We're strangers on a message board. Besides, if they traced my IP for a location, they'd find out I do all my posting from a troll cave 28 miles NNE of where I live.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: KMGR81

I can't afford whatever I want, but I do have my 6 year old boy in a private school 30 miles from home. However, that school is two minutes from where my wife and I both work.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Thanks for being the only one who even responded to my concerns.

Now, barring motor travel, how do you get back to your preps?

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: offensive

I like my house because all the windows and entrances are really high, and i have a huge stack of sheet metal, so i could remove the stairs to my door and cover the whole house with metal in about 24 hours, have lots of canned and dry food, wood burning stove, natural water close, lots of rabbits and deer around too.

There may or may not be a large bear roaming the area too that i may or may not have conditioned to stay near by giving him lots of left over meat&bones.

Dont have electricity if something happens but thats the way she goes.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

I was constantly told to do some YouTube videos, but I didn’t want to do the same style and format everyone else was doing of here is this knot or five good knots to know and especially didn’t want to do this week’s gear review. Doing a few knot videos as reference link for a video was okay. But wanted it separate from the main show.

So then became the question of what was “the main show” then? And I really hadn’t settled on a theme other than I wanted to do an everyone’s sort of survival. And honestly thought about shirt, tie, jacket, pants, shoes and briefcase of typical contents of an office worker/regional manager. That they wouldn’t have the BOB (or pre cut logs to split) right off screen. I figured anything found laying around was fair game like plastic bottles and cans. And was a little torn about allowing my original Leatherman at first and finally ruled no on it. But that I could have a letter opener, stapler and staple remover instead.

In the end, I nixed the project mostly because I had sold my digital video camera and the iPod Touch really wasn’t up to the task without a cameraman to keep the shot in frame. Played with strapping it to me as a personal point of view, but tests didn’t look promising. And I was happy doing the radio shows.

Now, no way. For various reasons. I do still enjoy watch others do them and have quite a subscriber list. But if you are really bored and want to watch a test walking around. There is this lame video I shot Now there is an asphalt path that won’t take you under that bridge. And I have stretched a hammock between the pylons underneath and spent the night there until it became too cold around 4am-5am. Because I didn’t bring a blanket and didn’t want to do a fire.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Super cheap water filter system anyone can “buy”

1 plastic water bottle for dirty water.
1 stick of maple (ideally rattan) whittled to fit bottle.
Gravity allows for water to pass through cork by capillary action
1 “clean” water bottle to capture filtered water.

Boil the “clean” water and let cool before drinking.

Do not use poison ivy vine nor any wood rich in tannins like oak or walnut. Your cork plug will need replaced from time to time. This is a very slow filter but very good. You may have to speed it up if the wood is too dense. Remember those sewing needles? What you are really filtering is the mud and slime. Poplar is also a good wood. Looking for wood fibers that become “stringy” or “broom out” when broken as a green wood.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Here I go again. I know many are sick of hearing me repeat myself, but here it goes.

Trying to go it alone will be near impossible. Trying to make a go of it alone in the city will be a challenge for even an urban explorer pro. For someone like you, it will be as close to impossible as you will probably get.

If you are looking to buy right now, and it is cost prohibitive, I would start with a good lawyer, and try hooking up with a family member looking for the same thing, that you love, and trust completely.

Maybe it is a time to work backwards. I grew up in a area where families started out living together in one house. As children grew up, married, and started their own families, they built onto the existing house and land. As families started becoming financially sound, they started moving out, and away, even out of State.

Now with fragile times upon us, maybe it is time to rebuild those family lands. Maybe time to go back home.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Look. Youre thinking of how to be hunkered down. Its worse than that. Itll be your neighbors not-so-nice n nice comin for you stuff. In groups. In waves. What would you steal to feed your kids? Screw you. Gimme...

Gold? Cant run with your kids n gold.....food? Only lasts so long. Weapons? Me, yeah. But we learn to understand a weapon can always be taken away.

How far can you get when youre not alone, everyone else...is a potentional threat.

Many survival lists for you, family and bioweapons, nukes etc threats...at:

READY.GOV Disaster Preparedness Lists

MS/EMT
Adv Disaster Life Support
FEMA/DHS
Region 2 South (retired)

PS Dont get worried, get busy!!

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   

My answer to your question.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Checks pockets:

2 bandanas
2 pocket knives
1 Bic lighter
1 ferro rod

On and in desk:

1 SS single wall water bottle
250’ spool paracord.
10’ 3/8” rope
Several Bic lighters
2 multitools

Next to bed:
Duffel bag with tent, cot, blankets, cookware weighing about 15 lbs
Sling pack with various lengths of paracord, change of clothes, wind proof shirt, assorted bags, 2 ponchos, a poncho liner, a tarp weighing about 10 lbs.
Various other bits of need not to be named gear very nearby.

Overstocked, I’d say.

I can get by on a Swiss Army Knife, a 50’ hank of paracord, a lighter, a poncho and liner, coat and clothes on me, and a pot/cup combo for a very long time. Or none of that, if I had to. It would just take longer to get comfortable. Weaving natural cordage into “cloth” to make clothes is no picnic nor comfortable. Itchy too.

The wife and I are always stocked similarly. We each have bug out packs ready to go whenever necessary.

Staying put probably won't be an option for anybody.

The key is survival on the fly, with as little conflict as possible IMO.

One of these days one of us on ATS should do a survival mega thread.

there's been loads of them over the years... Ive got where I try and search ATS on topics and see what we were saying 10 years ago.

I found this one but there are loads of other ones, with good info

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is close to what I probably need to create, just in case. Probably too much in some areas but Id add the water straw filter/pump. Or just make a run to Ahabstar's

Bug out Bag- remington camo pack (internal frame)
bug out pack- remington camo "fanny pack"
sleeping bag/ thin warm blanket
small section of tarp 6'x 8'
2 gallons of fresh water
vitamins, carbs in a can.
5 MREs, lots of mac n cheese, some canned fruit, top ramen, dried food etc.- enough for 1.5 weeks 3 meals a day.
full field surgeon kit- neccessities for critical first aid/ minor surgery
mess kit- pan,pot,cups, fork,spoon,knife etc.
collapsible fishing pole, hooks, line, sinkers, slamon eggs, artifical bate
full camo fatigues/ ghilly suit/ good boots/ tennis shoes
2x extra change of clothes
5x socks
hand crank radio
machette, small axe,small shovel, demolishing hammer (good for all purposes)
Winchester 1200 12 ga shotgun- 50 rds #7 bird shot, 100 rds 00 buckshot, 100 rds .70 cal rifled slugs (heaviest things in bug out bag)
fiancee carries the ruger 10/22, extended mags, 1500 rds of various .22LR
flashlights/ LED lantern
firestarting fluid
water purification tabs
extra batteries
100ft of rope
binoculars
50 extra nails (never know what youll need to build)
good sharp knifes- boowie, filet, swiss army, leatherman tool, steak knife, and a butter knife are all in my BOB.
sewing kit, some aluminum foil, plastic bags (large trash bags), and a couple rain ponchos

this is pretty much EVERYTHING i have in my BOB. i know im forgetting stuff. my bag weighs 58lbs exactly, fully loaded (not icluding firearms).

Yep, that list is good. Some may add or remove as they see fit.

I've lived in the bush my whole life, so most of the nature stuff is second *ahem nature, lol.

As far as any type of urban survival I'd be worse than useless.

That list is a great start for a bug out bag. Another recommendation is to work up to walking a few miles with that pack on. That's similar to a soldiers standard pack weight.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

My answer to your question.

Dang straight, bro.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem
I believe my answer was sufficient , huh ?

edit on 2/7/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: offensive
I mean how prepared can you really be ?

Im screwed if the S### hits the fan . I live in the suburbs of a big city , II have a generator but it hasnt been started in years and last time I tried wouldn't start
I Have one 5 gallon gas can about half full. My freezer is pretty well stocked but alot of good that does if we lose power. No fireplace or wood burning stove.

I have some canned goods but minimal lol. I couldnt start a fire without matches or a bic, I know nothing about gardening and growing food .

Never been a hunter dont even own a gun ATM. I could fish But Im no where near a lake or river.

I am just effed if the SHTF

Quite the pickle.

Yep, you're screwed. More because of laziness or apathy it sounds like than any other factor.

You could always just rebuild the gennie carb with a carb-kit, new gaskets, needles, seals, float/diaphragm, etc...but that doesn't sound like your style...

Sorry to say, your type will be prey. Not prey for my type, because I won't be anywhere near a city if SHTF.

Depends what SHTF means...it won't be like the movies...

IMO S has already HTF...matter of perspective I guess..

Hey Myke! We can meet up half way in Saskatchewan and pool our resources!!

As far as running a generator in a city, better only use it to power the fridge, freezer and furnace keeping the lights off and be prepared to defend it when others hear it running.

My plan is to get out of the city ASAP. We have a spot.

It will be ugly until the population thins out. The game around here won’t last long, same with farm animals.

I’m as ready as I can be but it’s going to be complicated and not very pleasant. The have nots will be on the hunt to provide for their families and their short sightedness will lead to desperation which will lead to violence.

It sounds like a cool movie until it actually happens. Then we’ll be wishing for the old days.

Life will get very very hard.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I guess an easy first step is to make a few of these and wrap your head around how they can be used.

Me, I use a bowline for the loop and a stevedore for the stopper knot. But I have this thing about being able to reuse cordage where I can. Three foot is a good length and you can string them in series (with a tighten) if you need a longer “strap” Need a loop in the strap to hang on a pack with carabiners? Add a Prussik Knot to be adjustable or a butterfly alpine loop for a set location.

And Felix will teach you more about an SAK than MacGyver can if you check out his other videos.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Puh, that´s a lot meanwhile.

Brought some fat wood home today, a friend brought me a bag full of bicycle inner tubes to cut them into "ranger bands", on my way to the forest i came across the IKEA market and bought two of those "IKEA Hobo Stoves" (Ordning) in both available sizes to modify them the next days. In addition to these two stoves i have the big Lixada SS stove. Several different DIY spirit burners, several DIY cooking sets made from several different sized tin cans, aluminum or sheet metal sugar/coffee cans or whatever fire and waterproof containers of good sizes were available. A Stanley Two Cup Adventure Set knock off plus a 500ml and a 600ml Tatonka knock off mug. A Nalgene SS 1,1l bottle, a 500ml and a 850ml Tatonka mug, both of the last sets in their own fitting molle pouches so i can attach them to my molle backpack. US canteen, folding sporks, SIGG water bottles and whatever else...

Several different sized tarps (3x4m, 3x3m 2x3m) from supermarket and DIY shop offers (under 10 euros per tarp), added gorilla tape+eyelets and stuff. One not expensive rip stop tarp set (RYACO/Amazon). Uncountable rolls (100m) of paracord in different colors and diameters, love the 2mm ones for my tarp ridge lines. Uncountable rolls of polypropylene cord in different sizes and colors and whatever else kind of ropes and stuff. Uncountable rolls of duct tape and packets of zip ties, boxes of candles, bottles of spirit, first aid stuff including very, very strong painkillers, antibiotics, local anesthetics, stuff to sew (or glue) wounds if necessary etc (friend works as a nurse xD).

A really good NEDFOSS "bushcraft" knife in kydex sheath and an Elk Ridge knife, both 4,5mm blade thickness. A Hultafors GK, a Fiskars K10. All of them are modded (black patina to the carbon blades for example). Put sharpeners, fire rods, BIC lighters, Tinder (in half cut Q-Tips+Vaseline), mini multi tools into little pouches (from smaller flashlights for example) i added to the sheaths. Or i added the stuff with "ranger bands" straight onto the kydex sheath. Several SAK (Huntsman, Camper or how they are all called). Two modded hatchets, a bigger Fiskars axe, a Davaon folding saw, a folding hacksaw(MFH), two different sized scotch eye augers, multi tools and all that stuff.

A Poncho, lightweight "picnic" blanket, two sleeping bags, insulation mats but much better is my 1,30m x 85cm original lambswool, Bundeswehr trousers, sturdy Brandit outdoor shirts, good "waterproof" hiking boots, leather working gloves(treated with beeswax), UK boonie hat(treated with beeswax, no ventilation holes, works as a bucket if needed), solar Casio watch, four different sized (30-80l) backpacks meanwhile, uncountable different sized molle pouches and mesh bags and cotton bags and who knows what else to create my modules. Like cook set modules, fire starter modules, ridge line modules, tools modules etc.

Several headlamps and flashlights, glow sticks, collapsible camping lanterns(LED), batteries en masse, power banks, lap tops with stored videos (like "all" knots and how to make them, useful survival and bushcraft videos of all kinds), a crank+solar flashlight+radio. A slingshot plus ammo (8mm), next thing i will buy is a foldable aluminum bow and arrows.

Waterpoof boxes to store all the above stuff plus the one million things i forgot and which would go beyond the scope to write them all down here. I started to prep when i recognized how thin the civilizational ceiling is, while the start of the hot phase of the Great Reset, the corona BS. Meanwhile it turned into a hobby, modifying stuff from thrift stores, making my own gear, doing "bushcraft" things with friends meanwhile. Like collecting some fat wood today, cutting my finger because, of course, i didn´t wear my gloves and my folding saw bit me when i wanted to clean it a bit with my fingers, me idiot xD...

Wanted even to start a carpentry apprenticeship because all of that but had to admit after two weeks that i have been out of school for far too long (30+ years now) and that the theoretical part would break my neck. I can´t see me sitting here and learning math again (after decades of only, exclusively using computers for calculating really everything).
Cheers

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar
That is too funny, i made one of these rope tensioners after seeing Felix video. To put it around one of my tarps. He really makes McGyver look like little kid when it comes to SAK knives. Until last year i didn´t know that there are spots in SAK knives to store needles in, for example. He has so much knowledge when it comes to SAK knives.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   
An old book, but a classic. The Book of Camping and Woodcraft: A Guidebook for Those who Travel in the Wilderness by Horace Kephart

You can buy a copy from Amazon and others.

What I highly recommend is for people to make a survival journal in which you write down what you need to know or remember.

Another good book is Ashley’s Book of Knots. Or if you have iPhone, 3D Knots App I’m sure Android has something as good. But if you can’t figure out a particular knot look for videos. Most knots can be done several ways and one of them will click.

Gear is good. But skills are better.

Know how to
Cook
Sew
Make things from wood
Make things from stone
Make things from metal
Make things from clay

And most importantly, know how and when to take a break. Frustration and fatigue can destroy progress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join