It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure if you all here haven't seen this video of the quake

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I guess this video will have to say it without much of me reporting what is being said.
Actually I haven't seen this on Japanese TV yet, so it must be fairly new.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

i have seen some others and my heart goes out to them and those effected that lost loved ones.

edit on 59228America/ChicagoMon, 06 Feb 2023 20:59:44 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I saw many different buildings collapsing, was shocked to see that many suffered such a fate but I know it was big magnitude (wonder if architecture/materials/age of buildings also played a role though)

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   

To be a retired responder watching and I cant help thru the screen. God bless everyone thru this.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I bet a lot of people died over there. What a shame, my sympathy goes out to all those effected by the disaster.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I dont want to insult Turkishness or anything but this is a glaring slight on their seismic building code enforcement. The newer High-rises pancaking were supposed to handle up to 50% ground acceleration if they were built like their ring of fire counterparts.

Anchorage, Alaska handled a FAR less violent, but still very strong 7.1 M 11 miles from the city center and recovered in 3 weeks. No deaths.

Turkey, obviously doesn't take that triple junction they sit on very seriously. Modern buildings collapsing with as little as 20% ground acceleration? That's criminal. Like they built a modern looking society with third world standard to save money.

Granted, Turkey didn't fail as bad as Haiti did with that 7.0, but did a lot worse than a developed country should. Especially considering several of the collapsed buildings were built AFTER their last devastating earthquake storm.

I should slap on a plastic facade of feigned thoughts and prayers but really I'm pissed for the Turks living in supposedly modern structures in a very seismically active area without seismic codes to withstand the possible shaking.

Even the Philippines have a strict building code intended to withstand up to 8.4 magnitude. Works where adhered to.
edit on 6-2-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I will what impresses me is these magnitudes hit these general areas every other decade and the casualties used to be in mid tens of thousands not around 5k. I believe the video proves building standards have improved over prior decades as well as escape route planning and it also shows in the historically lower casualties count over prior events also in the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I hope the Trillion Dollars America will send over there for rebuilding, will be drawn from other "help and aid" efforts/programs, and not from raising our taxes, or taking money from domestic programs.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I guess whoever invested in Turkish residential construction companies prior to the quake is now very happy!

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

I guess whoever invested in Turkish residential construction companies prior to the quake is now very happy!

I heard Larry Silverstein recently bought the buildings, and put a large earthquake insurance policy on them just a month ago

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

originally posted by: combatmaster

I heard Larry Silverstein recently bought the buildings, and put a large earthquake insurance policy on them just a month ago

Let the Truth be Known.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Well i clearly spoke too soon.._ damnit! Was really hoping for a much lower casualty count.

new topics

top topics

join