It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a recipe for how to make apple pie filling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I bought some Japanese Fuji apples kind of expensive too actually so I want to make some apple pie

Can you share your recipe for making an apple pie filling and what's necessary what ingredients are necessary also if you have time can you tell me how to make the dough.

I want to use butter for the dough not the lard.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Lots of recipes for both pie crust and apple filling on line.

Filling is basically apples (usually tarter varieties are used to avoid a too sweet filling. Fuji apples are on the very sweet side), unsalted butter, and sugar, preferably light brown for more depth of flavor, and spices (I've substituted Chinese five spice mix for traditional apple pie spices to good result).

Pie crust is just flour, unsalted butter, pinch of salt, couple of pinches of sugar, and ice water. Cut, then freeze the butter, use cold flour straight from the fridge, and add the ice water after the dry ingredients have been mixed and the butter cut in to the dry mix.

If you have a food processor, stick the blade and bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour before you start, then let it do the mixing.

I like Chef Jacques Pepin's video on making an apple tart (galette) as a guide.
edit on 6-2-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Thank you very much. The reason for asking is that we have an international membership here and I like to experiment with ideas for baking and cooking from different cultures.
Also, you are right about the Fuji apples. It seems now at the store is all we have on the market is the softer texture apples. I'm going to add some local honey to the mix also.

Again, thank you.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   

there is a famous documentary about pies, you'll certainly find a good recipe there, American pie or something

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   
After I peel my apples and slice them , I coat them
With a mixture of brown sugar and spices …( cinnamon , Clove , nutmeg ). … I let that sit in a bowl For a few minutes ( 5 minutes ) to let the apples ,and flavors mingle …. Then I pour it into the pie crust, and I Dot the mixture with unsalted butter before I put the crust top on .

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
After I peel my apples and slice them , I coat them
With a mixture of brown sugar and spices …( cinnamon , Clove , nutmeg ). … I let that sit in a bowl For a few minutes ( 5 minutes ) to let the apples ,and flavors mingle …. Then I pour it into the pie crust, and I Dot the mixture with unsalted butter before I put the crust top on .

Hey thanks a lot . I do know about cinnamon and nutmeg but the clove, never heard about that one besides that I don't have it anyway but yeah I'm going to try it like that I also use honey a local honey here and the brown sugar and I think that's about it.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Throw a nice slice of sharp cheddar over that bad boy, before you serve.

Yum-Yum!

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Idea: Apple Raspberry pie? Just add raspberries and mix different apples: your choice.
*(Golden, Red Delicious, tart Granny Smith etc...)

*A splash of lemon juice for zing!!!

*PSP..Please send pics!!!!!🥧

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Next time go for a tarter apple. Granny Smiths or Cortlands are my go to.

Avoid Macintoshes. Too sweet and don't hold their shape when baked. Mushy.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Idea: Apple Raspberry pie? Just add raspberries and mix different apples: your choice.
*(Golden, Red Delicious, tart Granny Smith etc...)

*A splash of lemon juice for zing!!!

*PSP..Please send pics!!!!!🥧

If your apples are very sweet, you can also add some ascorbic acid for that super citrusy zing. Ascorbic acid is what they use for sour candies, so don't overdo it. LOL.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks very much! Always appreciate food tips!!!

*There exists for real...a recipe for "Cranberry/Pickle" pie! Really, really pretty lookin, but scares the Proton Pumps with all the Prilosec I take for reflux!!!

Peace. Bake well!

edit on 02231228America/ChicagoMon, 06 Feb 2023 22:09:12 -060009202300000012 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join