It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How true is it that the more you read, the more your eyes will be tired?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
For example, if you read 1 hour one day and another day you read 5 hours, when you read 5 hours, are you more likely to want to close your eyes to rest them or feel like your eyes are tired? I'm curious because I want to know if I should limit my reading, or read for as long as I want. Sometimes I feel like resting my eyes, and I'm not sure if reading played a part in that.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonslayer83

As long as you're not straining your eyes reading on a really bright screen or in a very dim room, your should be fine.

I've been reading a lot my entire life and have not had any trouble with my eyes. Sometimes getting very wrapped up in a novel or a book series and doing 24 hr straight reading sessions.

Everyone is different, but I think you'll be fine however much you want to read.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Could be what you're reading. On your phone or fine print? Do you wear glasses or contacts and have you had a recent eye exam ? I read at least 2-3 hours a day and had to get new glasses a couple months ago because of eye strain.
New glasses...no more strain.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Found the opposite.
Did tons of reading on laptop, but couldn't read small numbers on paperwork so figured I needed new glasses?
Laptop died.
Was forced to re-read old paperbacks from 50's - 70's till laptop got replaced. Pages small print, yellowed pages.

Shocked coworkers by miraculously being able to accurately read tiny numbers on paperwork without one of them
helping me within a week. They're shocked, I'm shocked.

Guessing by switching mediums it'll help tired eyes? Free to try it at least.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I do wear glasses. Haven't had new glasses in years. I do my reading on my phone, which I heard is worse for your eyes than reading a physical book.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
Shocked coworkers by miraculously being able to accurately read tiny numbers on paperwork without one of them
helping me within a week. They're shocked, I'm shocked.

That sounds like you were exercising your eyes and they got stronger.

If you exercise your arms one hour a day or five hours a day - which is more tiring? Well, if you regullarly do it five hours a day, I'd think that eventually, you'd strengthen your arms and they wouldn't hurt any more. Maybe eyes are like that. I've read my entire life and my eyes never get tired.

Now, if I've just eaten and start reading, sometimes my eyes (and the rest of me) get sleepy....

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   

There's your problem. I hadn't had new ones in close to 6 years, but as soon as I put the new ones on I could see much better.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Getting sleepy reading "after" eating??
BARBARIAN!!!
Nbbles while reading are mandatory. We grew up reading at the dinner table. I still can't fathom how people can eat without a book in their hand. Fortunately this never translated into cell phones at the table or iPads.
Have a sneaking suspicion it was the only guaranteed quiet time my folks got out of us.

top topics

join