It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overheard in Wal Mart

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The mom sure wasn't worried about daughter insulting every single person in earshot (as well as mom). Just that rudeness alone should have been unacceptable!

OR, maybe she was worried and to protect herself from scorn from those around her put down her daughter straight away as a defense mechanism. But I do agree, they do seem a pair.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If I had been saying crap like that at 28? I deserved the set-down, and in that much, you would be right - mom either raised me wrong or I went wrong after leaving mom. By the time I was 28, I knew better than to expect I was going to need Gucci anything. I'm at the point where I could probably swing it if I really, really thought I had to have it ... upon looking, I was right. It would be a massive extravagance, but if I really wanted, I could save and get a small one.

But why? What's the point? It's a purse. You can get equally well-made and functional ones for far less money. All you are paying for is the brand so you can signal to everyone else.

And because I don't choose to throw my money away, I can spend all that extra or save it or whatever and do much more useful things with it than have a gold circle logo on a leather handbag.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'd bet when your mom had to get tough with you, she didn't just make you feel "small" (as only moms can!), but also gave you more/better to aspire to. Yes?

Yes...Well...most of the time. Sometimes she felt I just needed to aspire to not do stupid things.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Naw, I got two teens myself, that was a good old fashioned, patented verbal Mom crack upside the head to knock the stupidity TF off. I do not white glove my girls, and like I outright tell them, "If MOM is the one pointing the Dumb Doltery out, you know you bleeped up there. "

A little bit of red-faced embarrassment & the jolt to think once in a while is NOT a bad thing. They only need pointed in the general Think, Dear direction, not hand-held through, FFS. This is how to learn to effectively analyze & problem-solve, without life's gutter bumpers because those aren't real to begin with.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: DAVID64

And people wonder why we're going to hell in a handbasket.

What a crap thing for a mother to say to her daughter. Nothing constructive or productive in such a statement. No respect or affection at all. No wisdom or inspiration at all.

It's the PERFECT thing to say to a daughter who is so entitled she doesn't recognize her own stupidity. I wish more parents would serve their upstart delusional kids with a dose of reality. Kudos to Mom!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Soon. Soon, my precious!!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

OR, maybe she was worried and to protect herself from scorn from those around her put down her daughter straight away as a defense mechanism. But I do agree, they do seem a pair.

Ahhhhh.... I see where you're going with this, and could be right. Mom may be okay with that kind of talk at home, but daughter said it out loud in public, so gotta make it look like she doesn't approve...

Yeah, that sounds about right.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If I had been saying crap like that at 28? I deserved the set-down...

And you'd probably see it coming and know better than to say it to your mom to begin with even if you wanted to!

...and in that much, you would be right - mom either raised me wrong or I went wrong after leaving mom. By the time I was 28, I knew better than to expect I was going to need Gucci anything. I'm at the point where I could probably swing it if I really, really thought I had to have it ... upon looking, I was right. It would be a massive extravagance, but if I really wanted, I could save and get a small one.

But why? What's the point? It's a purse. You can get equally well-made and functional ones for far less money. All you are paying for is the brand so you can signal to everyone else.

And because I don't choose to throw my money away, I can spend all that extra or save it or whatever and do much more useful things with it than have a gold circle logo on a leather handbag.

Exactly!

I also very much doubt you'd be waiting around for Mr. Moneybags to ride along and buy it for you...

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Yes...Well...most of the time. Sometimes she felt I just needed to aspire to not do stupid things.

LOL! It's okay... we were all teenagers once!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Naw, I got two teens myself, that was a good old fashioned, patented verbal Mom crack upside the head to knock the stupidity TF off. I do not white glove my girls, and like I outright tell them, "If MOM is the one pointing the Dumb Doltery out, you know you bleeped up there. "

A little bit of red-faced embarrassment & the jolt to think once in a while is NOT a bad thing. They only need pointed in the general Think, Dear direction, not hand-held through, FFS. This is how to learn to effectively analyze & problem-solve, without life's gutter bumpers because those aren't real to begin with.

Tough love is definitely a valuable tool... I've used it many a time myself. But it's like snark, if you don't get the fundamental point across, then it's just being a bigger jerk.

I'd be challenging her stated goal... not how she's going to reach it.

I'd probably also tell her if she wants to be a rude and insulting snob (obviously including me, since I would be one of those shoppers she's talking trash about), she can go wait in the car, because I don't want to be part of that crap.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

It's the PERFECT thing to say to a daughter who is so entitled she doesn't recognize her own stupidity. I wish more parents would serve their upstart delusional kids with a dose of reality. Kudos to Mom!

So giving your lazy gold-digger snob of a daughter advice on how to snag the rich guy is the perfect thing for a mom to say?

Yeah...um... no.

I would be absolutely disgusted with both of us if those were my daughter's aspirations for herself. That's what I would make perfectly clear.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   
in secaucus nj, 3 out of 5 employees do not speak english.

the majority of people just speak mex-i-can.

its a third w0rld spanish only club in the walmarts around here...
edit on 5-2-2023 by drongosrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The daughter is a loser and her mother knows it.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

So giving your lazy gold-digger snob of a daughter advice on how to snag the rich guy is the perfect thing for a mom to say?

Yeah...um... no.

WHERE did I EVER "give advice" to daughter on "how to snag the rich guy" ???????? That is hilarious!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: drongosrevenge
in secaucus nj, 3 out of 5 employees do not speak english.

the majority of people just speak mex-i-can.

its a third w0rld spanish only club in the walmarts around here...

Oh I'm very close to you, and our local Walmart is a lesson in patience, trying desperately to find an employee who speaks English!
I have gone around and around and around, looking for someone to unlock those cabinets they have with more expensive items, finally giving up entirely.
I am looking to go back to work - and have to speak spanish to get a job, IN MY OWN COUNTRY.
Thanks joe. Pathetic third world dump.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

WHERE did I EVER "give advice" to daughter on "how to snag the rich guy" ???????? That is hilarious!

I didn't say you gave the advice.

I was speaking to your comment that the mother had the "perfect response" when she gave her daughter the advice to snag the rich guy who would save her from having to shop in Wallymart. Specifically, she told her daughter she needed a personality.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I didn't say you gave the advice.

I was speaking to your comment that the mother had the "perfect response" when she gave her daughter the advice to snag the rich guy who would save her from having to shop in Wallymart. Specifically, she told her daughter she needed a personality.

The mother suggested the daughter should concentrate on finding a boyfriend and keeping him before fantasizing that a rich husband would be buying her Gucci. That's rather a different message than you are suggesting. The Mom is Right On.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The mother suggested the daughter should concentrate on finding a boyfriend and keeping him before fantasizing that a rich husband would be buying her Gucci. That's rather a different message than you are suggesting. The Mom is Right On.

Hmmmm... I certainly don't recall that. Either the OP edited after I read it and responded, or I was so incensed at the flippant "get a personality" that the rest blew right over my head (entirely possible). But I don't care enough to try to find out. I'm already surprised at how many responses my comment has gotten! I thought it was a one and done...

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am not a huge fan of Walmart but I end up shopping there a lot. When I need things like butt wipe, I don't want to 40 miles to the galleria just to get the Gucci brand.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:19 PM
link   
All I can say is, I think there are a lot of single women out there with this attitude that will never reach their dreams. This is not all of them. But I have met a few.

Nothing in life is free, you can't expect a handout. What is the lady planning on giving to the man of her dreams in exchange for all this money?

That is the question that one or two of my lady friends fail to ask themselves when trying for this kind of man. In my opinion, you should always focus more on what you give than what you get in a relationship for it to work.

I honestly do not think sex alone is enough to make up for millions of dollars in gifts, if he wanted to buy sex, he would get a hooker for much cheaper.

If they realized this, it would actually increase their chances.

I mean men do this too. I used to fantasize about the girl of my dreams without ever thinking about what I had to offer.
edit on 05pmSun, 05 Feb 2023 22:53:13 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 05pmSun, 05 Feb 2023 22:55:09 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join