It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overheard in Wal Mart

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I was at WalMart yesterday getting some things and I'm picking out what coffee I want as a Mom and daughter come down the aisle. The daughter was talking loud enough for half the store to hear, going on about how her husband is going to buy her Gucci and that she'll never shop at WalMart, "that's just for people with no money".

The Mom, in a slow sweet Southern accent said " Oh darlin' you're 28 years old and can't keep a steady boyfriend, you need to get a personality before you worry about gettin' a husband".

Moms can burn you like no one else.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Mum burns are the worst.

I remember when I was young, my mum would complain about some horrible burn that my grandmother had given her at the dinner table...

Now she's carrying the mantle and does the exact same sh!t to me!

edit on 522023 by Wide-Eyes because: Mantel/mantle meh, fixed

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   

And people wonder why we're going to hell in a handbasket.

What a crap thing for a mother to say to her daughter. Nothing constructive or productive in such a statement. No respect or affection at all. No wisdom or inspiration at all.

Seems to me that Mom needs to take a good long look at her own parenting skills if she thinks so little of the daughter she raised...

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
"Oh darlin' you're 28 years old and can't keep a steady boyfriend, you need to get a personality before you worry about gettin' a husband"

28 on the outside but 4 on the inside.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I feel sorry for much of the younger generations today.
Their perspectives have been distorted by social media. A fairly pretty girl will post on “insta” and get a hundred people telling her she’s beautiful and amazing etc.. That leads her to believe she’s higher up on the desirability ladder than she really is. Now she holds out waiting for Prince Charming with his six foot three tall, six digit income to marry her because she’s “worth it”. He never does find her and if he does he runs head on into her personality…😂

That leaves about 90% of the male population out of consideration for any kind of social life.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Well, that's partly true. While they're living in your house, following your rules, you expect them to act a certain way. The morals and values you instilled are the behavior you expect.

BUT, after they get out on their own, you can only hope those values stick with them and it does...to a point. At 28, they're their own person and influenced by things other than parents. I can't judge that Mom because she knows a lot more about her daughter than I do.
Sounded to me like the daughter needed a reality check and got a mild one from Mom instead of a slap in the face by the real world.

If she's 28 and can't hold a steady relationship, it's not the men.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I hesitate to say this, but that daughter sounds like the typical spoiled, entitled, privileged and undereducated nitwit that has no job or skills.
And pity the husband who has to support her.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   

That and people with real wealth don’t need to flaunt it, and they have no shame in protecting it.

When I worked at a country club in my early twenties, the real wealthy people didn’t flash name brands on their cloths. They didn’t have extravagant cars outside most of our reach. They weren’t afraid to talk about saving money by shopping on sale, or going to normal stores a vast majority of the time.

I even remember hearing a stat (going off of memory, no idea if it’s true), that upper middle class and wealthy people are the most likely to use coupons (or modern equivalents).

The power couples I know, the wife is on board and has no shame about going to Walmart or shopping for sales.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's that "keeping up with the Joneses" taken to an extreme. Young people see "influencers" with expensive stuff and think they have to have it to fit in.
"I have to have a Gucci purse ! No I can't pay my rent this month and I'm living on ramen noodles, but I Need That Gucci !!"

They don't understand that the people with money have it because they don't go out and blow it.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   

If a household makes 150k a year. They can overpay on stuff, go to whole foods exclusively, buy frivolous things to look flashy. Or they can save and put 1,000 or more away into investments (aside from retirement). Then they can use the equity on their own house to get a rental property.

And in ten years, they can have passive income, a short term investment portfolio with some nice yield, and true financial freedom.

They’re not susceptible to marketing campaigns which sole purpose is to dig at insecurity. They don’t care what other people think because they are free.

That’s liberty.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   
"Influencer" is the most desired job by kids in America now. Not doctors, astronauts, or firefighters.

For the life of me I can't figure out how Influencers contribute to society in any meaningful way. Except for say like Mr. Beast and a few others.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

What a crap thing for a mother to say to her daughter. Nothing constructive or productive in such a statement. No respect or affection at all. No wisdom or inspiration at all.

Seems to me that Mom needs to take a good long look at her own parenting skills if she thinks so little of the daughter she raised...

I get what you're saying, and with some parents, I think you would be right. They shouldn't talk because they were bad examples for their kids.

On the other hand, as David64 mentioned, we have a system that has way too much influence on our kids. Often more so than the parent. This leads to Reality Deficit Disorder, and sometimes it needs addressing in a harsh way (imo).

I never seriously questioned my parents love for me growing up, but they weren't afraid to call a spade a spade when the situation called for it, especially the woman who raised me. She could make feel quite small in one sentence, and usually I deserved it.
edit on 2/5/2023 by Klassified because: edit

edit on 2/5/2023 by Klassified because: re-edit

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

That's certainly fair enough and true enough... it's definitely not the men!

But given the mother's less than practical retort, I tend to think the apple didn't fall far from the tree. My kids are in their 30s, but I still consider it my job to teach them and set the best example for them as they navigate adulting. I would probably be more inclined to tell my daughter she deserves more/better than just $$ and not to sell herself short like that. All the while wondering where I went wrong...

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Young ladies and their pseudo feminist fantasies. A strong female influence is the best antidote to would-be thots who aspire to exploit systemic privileges they claim don't exist.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have a daughter and have never had to 'burn' her like that.
Sounds like they have a #ty relationship. Sad. I get it though. I had a #ty mom too.

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

But Bo, according to this OP, the daughter is twenty eight years old and from what David has told us she sounds like she is a thirteen year old dreamer fantasizing about some dream husband when she grows up. And then speaking so loud that at least all those within their vicinity can hear as she degrades them as ''poor people'' while she has loftier standards than them.

And who knows how long this fantasy whining conversation has been going on. For their whole trip to the store? For a decade or more? And I mean, come on, is walking though the isles in Walmart really the place for a sit-down open your hearts and communicate kind of mother/daughter bonding? Likely, shopping at Walmart is the best level of bonding these will ever achieve

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

You make important distinctions and I agree that even parents who do everything right find their kids doing the opposite.

I just don't think the mother's comment is that of a parent doing everything right. Mom didn't seem to have an issue with her daughter's aspirations... mom just didn't think her daughter was "good" enough to realize her aspirations due to no personality. . And mom said so.

I'd bet when your mom had to get tough with you, she didn't just make you feel "small" (as only moms can!), but also gave you more/better to aspire to. Yes?

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I feel sorry for much of the younger generations today.
Their perspectives have been distorted by social media. A fairly pretty girl will post on “insta” and get a hundred people telling her she’s beautiful and amazing etc.. That leads her to believe she’s higher up on the desirability ladder than she really is. Now she holds out waiting for Prince Charming with his six foot three tall, six digit income to marry her because she’s “worth it”. He never does find her and if he does he runs head on into her personality…😂

That leaves about 90% of the male population out of consideration for any kind of social life.

Feel sorry for the ones who don't like their fellow GenZers...
My daughter is almost 19 and cannot stand those her age. She has no boyfriend and few actual friends because she does not like the guys her age - they are mostly far too woke and feminine and is now more attracted to a bit older - but then she feels they will have too much baggage. The girls are exactly as you described. She is a conservative and anti-woke and anti-feminist.

Tough spot to be in.
Im a GenXer, not everyone was fortunate enough to be born in this generation!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

And who knows how long this fantasy whining conversation has been going on. For their whole trip to the store? For a decade or more?

Funny you say that because I was wondering about that too. It seems like they've had this (or similar) conversation many times... and mom's okay with a gold digging daughter she just doesn't think her daughter is up to the challenge. Mom strikes me as just as shallow and petty as her daughter.

The mom sure wasn't worried about daughter insulting every single person in earshot (as well as mom). Just that rudeness alone should have been unacceptable!

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think that's pretty much on the head Blunt. And from how I see it, it goes back farther than today's social media, it goes back to the entire scope of ''screen entertainment''. During the Great Depression a century ago the movie house screens were filled with stories about rich people living in splendor while poor people sat in the dark halls watching and dreaming about how they would like to be the people on the screen. Not that that's all they thought about but for me at least it all rings with the lyrics to that old song ''how ya gonna keep em down on the farm after they see Pareeeeee"". Ya know?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join