It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does “Woke” Mean?… Here’s The REAL Definition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

When an individual adopts personal pronouns, it's a bit like a Spanish speaker moving to Argentina and needing to pick an entire new verb conjugation for certain situations. Only in this case, the regular pronouns which are intended to be general placeholders become specific to the individual (you know, like their name) and thus are specific in usage to that person and that person alone, and if you are in a conversation with that person, you have to recall the exceptions you are now using for that person in every regular usage situation as if you are using their personal name.

Sorry, I'll just use their name rather than try to keep all the pronouns straight on top of trying to remember their name. On the bright side, if I have to insert their name everywhere I was otherwise using a pronoun, I will definitely remember their name after that whereas I normally have trouble with names instead of faces.

But imagine being in a conversation with a group of the local baristas at the random Starbucks I was at where there was Bubbles, they/them; Don, he/they; Mary, Jason, Dick (all regular usage - how ... droll) - disclaimer - I don't actually who had which pronouns only that some did have straight regular one and others have abnormal ones and there was definitely a Bubbles who had odd ones, and trying to keep it all straight when you have just been introduced to all of them.

Eff it. Why bother? It honestly defeats the purpose of the pronoun.
edit on 2-2-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Eff it. Why bother?

says it all really, doesn't it? I think it's worth that tiny iota of effort to remember one more fact about people around me in order to make them feel a bit more comfortable, you think it's not. I doubt we're going to be seeing eye to eye on this so that's that.

i do gotta mention while i'm here tho, interesting to note that in less than a page we've gone from
PRONOUNS ARE THE GREATEST EVIL IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND to "meh, being accomodating is effort"
edit on 2-2-2023 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   

If it's one person, sure, but now make it two, or three, or four at once.

Then go back to interact with them later on, and have them expect you to remember it all again. Get into a quick paced conversation where you have a few people with different pronouns from the regular usage at the same time.

Sorry. Why bother? You all have names and those are intended to be personal to you, so if you want the personal, insist on those. Pronouns are intended to be generic placeholders to simplify interaction, not make more complicated.

Or another example - I work in publishing. Our product personalizes appointment and treatment guides for cancer patients. It simply is not possible to program the system to reflect personal pronouns.
edit on 2-2-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

I'm sure there's more, but which two are the only ones to use to not be woke?

YOU clearly like to TROLL.

Because that was an OBVIOUS reference to the gender Bull SH#.
edit on 3-2-2023 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't play the pronoun game. You can have your name if that's what you want.

i don't play the pronoun game as its far to close to the compelled speech of the school i went to, sister Christine, brother Thomas, monsignor Terence, and a his eminence.. forgot to call Christine sister once and nearly got a broken jaw at 11 for the error..

they way pronouns are used sound exactly like religious titles backed by the same kind of compulsive asgression and similar othering of non believers and heretics,

its the route reason I feel we are heading for a reformation like point..

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
YOU clearly like to TROLL.

Because that was an OBVIOUS reference to the gender Bull SH#.

Words are words. You said "ONLY", in all caps to boot. So I highlighted two pronouns in your response. Are those the ONLY two you're sticking with?
edit on 3-2-2023 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Those are regular usage pronouns. Oh no ... I used one too - Those referring to "YOU" and "that".

I could have witten: Lord Ahriman clearly likes to troll.

And then ketsuko would have similarly had to have gone back and inserted the specific text "that" was in reference to when repeating the part about gender BS, speaking about ketsuko in third person in the process to avoid more pronouns just to satisfy Lord Ahriman.

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

How many times has any “woke” person espoused individual rights and or freedom?

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Those are regular usage pronouns. Oh no ... I used one too - Those referring to "YOU" and "that".

I could have witten: Lord Ahriman clearly likes to troll.

And then ketsuko would have similarly had to have gone back and inserted the specific text "that" was in reference to when repeating the part about gender BS, speaking about ketsuko in third person in the process to avoid more pronouns just to satisfy Lord Ahriman.

LordAhriman is just trying to help keep ketsuko from being wOkE.

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

That's right words ARE words, and yet you're the only one that it has to be explained to because OTHERS clearly understood it.
edit on 3-2-2023 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: infolurker

How many times has any “woke” person espoused individual rights and or freedom?

Never.

"THEY"-FTW want the STATE to use force to make others accept their bull Sh#.

posted on Feb, 4 2023 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
That's right words ARE words, and yet you're the only one that it has to be explained to because OTHERS clearly understood it.

Oh I knew what you meant, but I'm fairly certain that you didn't know what a pronoun was until this thread. Genders. Genders was the word you were looking for.

posted on Feb, 4 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   

At least you admit you are trolling.

edit on 4-2-2023 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2023 @ 09:04 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

that's how the rc church did it they claim the hundreds killed under bloody mary had nothing to with them when it was the bishops who crafted the laws to burn heretics (De heretico comburendo).. they crafted the punishment to silence their opponents by making the punishments as horrific as possible. all it has done is create a hatred that lasts.. in the same way removing the obligation to be armed from their opponents laid the foundations for the us second amendment.. the drive to do one thing tends to create a lasting effect in the other direction..

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   

it's good to hear you also think the "my pronouns are.." is stupid. I think it's a way for people who don't feel they get enough attention to manufacture a bit more. Like too many of their friends were trans, so they made up "non binary" to set themselves apart. That, or they confused themselves with the entire LARP and now live in a land of confusion.

But thank goodness for furries. anyone willing to 'one up' this group deserves a title.

I'm waiting for the rockets. People who identify as rocks and demand to be called by their geological name.

posted on Mar, 1 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   
How a black American explained what 'woke' means is they used being 'awake' being 'woke' or alert to the systematic discriminations within the American society. What is has been bastardized into by the right/conservatives and also the left/liberals is not what it originally meant.
edit on q00000030331America/Chicago2121America/Chicago3 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 02:46 AM
link   
War is peace. Newspeak is next.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join