It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JWST Has Found Life's Elemental Building Blocks in The Depths of Darkest Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Webb has been looking at molecular cloud Chameleon I which is about 500 light years away from Earth , the Star upper left by the illuminated clouds is a young protostar called Ced 110 IRS 4 , the other stars are in the background , at some point Ced 110 IRS 4 will develop its own Solar System so news from scientists studying the new Webb data suggests the building blocks for life will be ready and waiting to work their magic when those planets cool.

In a molecular cloud called Chamaeleon I, located over 500 light-years from Earth, data from the telescope has revealed the presence of frozen carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and sulfur – elements vital to the formation of atmospheres and molecules such as amino acids, collectively known as CHONS.

"These elements are important components of prebiotic molecules such as simple amino acids – and thus ingredients of life, so to speak," says astronomer Maria Drozdovskaya of the University of Bern in Germany.

In addition, an international team of researchers led by astronomer Melissa McClure of Leiden University in the Netherlands has also identified frozen forms of more complex molecules, such as water, methane, ammonia, carbonyl sulfide, and the organic molecule methanol.

Cold, dense clumps in molecular clouds are where stars and their planets are born. Scientists believe that CHONS and other molecules were present in the molecular cloud that birthed the Sun, some of which were later delivered to Earth via icy comet and asteroid impacts.
www.sciencealert.com...

Was the Universe was tailored for life ?
The evidence is suggesting yes.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Was the Universe was tailored for life?
The evidence is suggesting yes.

Common sense always suggested yes.

Else it would be kind of a waste of space.

Plus we are only just beginning to understand what constitutes life down here on Earth.

As always interesting thread gortex.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

For me it raises a bigger question , if the Universe is set up for life is that because there are millions / billions of other Universes all with different properties the majority of which can't support life or was this a one off , if it was a one off it seems lucky beyond probability the Univers is how it is , which begs the questions was it crafted , by who and for what ?

So many questions not enough brain power.

edit on 28-1-2023 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: andy06shake

For me it raises a bigger question , if the Universe is set up for life is that because there are millions / billions of other Universes all with different properties the majority of which can't support life or was this a one off , if it was a one off it seems lucky beyond probability the Univers is how it is , which begs the questions was it crafted , by who and for what ?

So many questions not enough brain power.

If there were infinite universes then one like this was a certainty as was your statement above. If there is only one, then that would be odd. That there are any is strange. Likely as strange as if there were none.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think there is a theory about whether the universe could exist if the precursors for life didn't exist, pretty sure the consensus was no.

Having said that I honestly don't understand what the realistic aims of a non-centric to god universe entails.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the purpose of a non god-centric universe might be?

Purpose as in "inherently useful to humanity".

I am not religious as a few of you may know.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I think there is a theory about whether the universe could exist if the precursors for life didn't exist, pretty sure the consensus was no.

Having said that I honestly don't understand what the realistic aims of a non-centric to god universe entails.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the purpose of a non god-centric universe might be?

Purpose as in "inherently useful to humanity".

I am not religious as a few of you may know.

Thanks.

Purpose is an illusion we have created for ourselves to give meaning to our existence. There is none. We are May flies. Irrelevant. It all comes and goes anyway, like waves on the beach.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ARM1968

And then what of the fact that you can think?

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Time for humans to expand out into our own solar system.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The Jehova's Witnesses just found what?

I think the building blocks of life are all around us,

We just don't always perceive them.
edit on 28-1-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

which begs the questions was it crafted , by who and for what ?

Finely tuned by the looks of things at the very least.

As to its actual purpose, well given the size of the place the question may be above our current pay grade or ability to understand.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

And then what of the fact that you can think?

What does that even mean?

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It does deg the question, what of it? Lol.

The ego in people believes that thinking is the exclusive attribute of people.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Need to devise a cost-effective method of launching both man and machine into low earth orbit then colonize/industrialise the place before that becomes a viable prospect.

Nobody remember the aerospike engine, they were supposed to be able to do the job or thereabouts.

Anybody know what happened to that tech?

edit on 29-1-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Exactly. Quite bizarre. Most animals can think to a degree. None of it means anything or has a point. Everything is transient, even the universe. We can reflect upon it all again next time. We won’t know that we’re doing the same thing again. Maybe the odd echo of the last go round, but not much more.

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 07:36 PM
link   

They've discovered clouds of ethyl alcohol in interstellar space

www.mentalfloss.com...#:~:text=Ten%20thousand%20light%20years%20from%20earth%20in%20a ,to%20fill%20400%20trillion%20trillion%20pints%20of%20beer.

Winder if can get a mission there, equipped with proper mixers and drinking straws ........

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You stated that we are mayflies, we mean nothing and are just dust in the wind or waves on a beach.

My question was about what does a non-god centric universe even mean?

What is the point of a universe in which we, as inhabitants, exist, without any relevance whatsoever.

Are you saying the universe is in effect pointless?

Surely this is a rather extreme opinion to have?

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Is it extreme though? If it makes a difference to one mote of dust in an infinite and pointless universe is that the whole point of the universe?

To demonstrate in an infinite measure how insignificant we truly are. You have to admit it is a grand and magnificent way of making a point

a reply to: Jonjonj

top topics

join