It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Momunent: The Untold Story Of Stone Mountain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 02:52 AM
link   
This is highly controversial so I hope we can have a civilized discussion about this but I doubt that will happen. We shall see.

For those that don't know Stone Mountain, it's got a huge relief of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson. It's in Georgia, right outside of Atlanta and it's a huge tourist spot with all the bells and whistles. But looming above it is a memorial to the KKK, Jim Crow laws, etc.

Since it's protected as a state park, it cannot be removed or altered so it ain't a gonna go away. It's there, and we need to deal with it and the ramifications of the "lost cause". The war was lost and the south needs to deal with that.

[yvid]GtYiQKeihGw&t=1876s/yvid]

edit on 1/26/2023 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Do you have a link to provide us?

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 03:27 AM
link   

You do realize that Stone Mountain is private property within the state park and not actually part of the park.

Personally I like it's old name better, Rock Mountain.

Check the video, it doesn't work.
edit on 1 26 2023 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Cheers

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Thank you.

All those Democrats in the white robes.....

It doesn't matter which side of the argument you are on, if you wipe out all the monuments, you are more likely to repeate it.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
This is highly controversial so I hope we can have a civilized discussion about this but I doubt that will happen. We shall see.

For those that don't know Stone Mountain, it's got a huge relief of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson. It's in Georgia, right outside of Atlanta and it's a huge tourist spot with all the bells and whistles. But looming above it is a memorial to the KKK, Jim Crow laws, etc.

Since it's protected as a state park, it cannot be removed or altered so it ain't a gonna go away. It's there, and we need to deal with it and the ramifications of the "lost cause". The war was lost and the south needs to deal with that.

[yvid]GtYiQKeihGw&t=1876s/yvid]

The winners of wars write the history books.

Those who lose, do not get to build monuments, they do not get to remember their heroes. They are defeated.
That's been the convention of warlike human beings for centuries.

Aren't we better than that, now?

What is the pile of rocks doing to you, personally?

It's a piece of history, what is the "GOOD" reason, you want to erase it?

Are you still primitive and warlike? Most of us are above this "something must be conquered mentality" and we have left it behind us. We are worried about that which is above this world, not fighting each other in conflicts upon it. We are the same. There is no need to fight.

Does it scare you? Does it harm you? Then conquer it, within yourself. Because conquering what has already been conquered will NOT change history.

You have no war to fight, because it has already been fought. You won. You are here. It is the past. Get over it. If you still thirst for human conflict and are of a primitive warlike mentality; then fight a new war, one with real stakes, one worth being fought.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Having now watched the whole video, the state flag part is absolutely wrong.

They took off popularly thought of battle flag and made the new Georgia state flag the actual flag of the confederacy. They only added the state seal.

www.britannica.com...

Georgia

They actually admit it on the web site link on that videos YouTube page but have conveniently left it out of the the actual video.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I believe that even foolish people have the right to express themselves. But I ask myself. Who is more of a fool? The person/people who had it carved, or the people who have a problem with his freedom of expression?

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I visited stone mountain for the first time about 2 years ago. But I had no idea what that carving was. Even on the tour they don't tell you who the carving is of.
And now I know why.

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 04:21 AM
link   
My only thought on the subject is the incredible human arrogance of Mount Rushmore and all its imitators.

They may think they have escaped the fate of "Ozymandias king of kings", but even mountains crumble eventually.

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 04:47 AM
link   

just want to address the part on moving on... look around the world and there are few places or peoples that move on from contentious topics. indeed trying to force people to move on or accept defeat simply recreates the reasons it all happened in the first place.

I grew up in the 70s and all the folk tales I was taught where not of the kings of England but the kings of Sussex, cultures can coexist but not when one culture tries to eradicate the others as all it does is entrench a rejection of coexistence and thus today I find myself in the same place as the 70s feeling coexistence with London and the wider west ever more impossible so the return of our kingdom and secession from the UK/west would not be a bad thing. as our motto goes "we are not sheep to be driven..

side note the last King of Sussex died in the 8th century, so that's over 1,000 years of holding onto that identity.. the not moving on brigade the world over is massive its also why a one world government can't work as the scale of "not accepting it and no moving on" will dwarf all the wars ever fought..
edit on 27-1-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

top topics

join