It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renters Bill of Rights rolled out by Biden

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
LOL - Not that it's really funny, actually it's tragic, but after the last flood in 2021, a woman was crying out on the sidewalk, her whole basement and first floor were completely flooded and wrecked, furniture, her vehicle, everything. She had just purchased the house two or three months before.
I said to her, didn't she realize what is across the road, and she had no reply, and I said 'it's a River'.
I would assume the real estate people / attorneys who assisted her in this purchase would have warned her?

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Canadian landlord here (so obvious this has no impact). I stopped renting my condo earlier this year after 13+ years of being a landlord. Just sick of tenants being able to get away with anything and everything without consequence.

A friend of mine did the same thing a few years back. Oh, and he legit sold it to a big investment firm for rental purposes.

Girlfriend's parents sold 2-3 houses 2 years ago because of the hassle too. Houses they had for decades and absolutely did not need the money from the sale (they have $10s of millions already).

Just not worth the headache anymore.

As inventory shrinks, prices go up. Government making it worse for landlords isn't helping them at all.
edit on 28-1-2023 by jwlaffer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm sick of hearing about people being priced out of a place to live. No one should have to live on the street or out of their car, especially if they have kids.

I acknowledge that landlords have expenses. I don't like to hear about huge jumps in rent though. There is some greed out there. I detailed it in one of my posts.

I don't know what the solution is.

I think capping inflation would help. And wage freezes for certain people so spending power isn't ever increasing in the population. In fact, I think we should cap any wage increase YOU receive.

Do you see how that works? I think you'll understand, it's for the good of the poor.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jwlaffer

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

I'm sick of hearing about people being priced out of a place to live. No one should have to live on the street or out of their car, especially if they have kids.

I acknowledge that landlords have expenses. I don't like to hear about huge jumps in rent though. There is some greed out there. I detailed it in one of my posts.

I don't know what the solution is.

I think capping inflation would help. And wage freezes for certain people so spending power isn't ever increasing in the population. In fact, I think we should cap any wage increase YOU receive.

Do you see how that works? I think you'll understand, it's for the good of the poor.

You are just the kind of person who delights in misery. 👎🏻

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

PLEASE tell me WHAT protection renters have? I am in Florida and renters have NO rights, NONE, NADDA! What a load of garbage you spew with that opinion. Maybe get you facts straight before making such comments.

Florida has more slumlords because there are no laws protecting tenants. I KNOW all to damn well! Don't even get me started. My lawyer I had for my slumlord even told me Florida has the WORST laws that protect the LANDLORD NOT THE TENANT!

There needs to be something done to the rental prices, they are out of control!

Here is an idea if you can't afford to be a multiple homeowner you SHOULD NOT BE ONE!

I also work in insurance and the cost of insurance is insane here along with the cost of housing in general. You need to make at least $35/hr to qualify for the average rental rate and that is not what most make here! I make $21/hr and still can't get a place and am homeless all because I tried to fight a SLUMLORD so PLEASE tell me what rights I have?!

What rights are you purporting to lack?

You have the right to move to a cheaper area. You have the right to work longer hours or improve the value of your work to employers via education and training. You have the right to get roommates to share the cost.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How about starting with protections for the Elderly and Disabled on fixed incomes that their rents cannot be increased more than the yearly Cost Of Living Adjustment?

Seems reasonable enough a start.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: mblahnikluver

My heart goes out to you in you situation.

We don't have Renters Rights in Arkansas either and our apartments were just bought out by a company from Michigan and our rates jumped $200.

We may not have a place next year and we've lived here for eighteen years.

I'm a renter, too. Rents have jumped everywhere. My rent has gone up steadily over the years but last year jumped almost $300. It costs too much to move ($150 mandatory cleaning fee, rental deposits/pet deposits can be thousands of dollars, cost of transferring utilities, moving truck costs, etc..) so I'm forced to stay and take the increases with a sickening pit in my stomach. I'm now paying $1700 for an 800 sq ft apt.

When I first moved in 5 years ago it was $900. I'm working an awful lot of hours to pay for it and can barely keep up. But it is what it is. Everyone is struggling with inflation, gas prices,etc...Home owners are struggling with crazy HOA fees or property tax increases. Companies are laying off workers, too. It's a bad situation all around and I feel for all of us.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

I'm not giving up.

I still believe in miracles.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join