It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peru evacuates hundreds of tourists from Machu Picchu amid widespread violent protests...

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hundreds of tourists were stranded at the ancient archeological site of Machu Picchu after Peru’s railway service said protesters sabotaged a portion of the tracking leading back to the capital.

The city of Cusco, the former capital of the Incan empire and an about a 70-mile train ride from the town of Machu Picchu has been the site of some of the most intense clashes since the South American nation first became engulfed in unrest after then-President Pedro Castillo, Peru’s first leader with a rural Andean background was impeached and imprisoned for trying to dissolve Congress last month.

Peru evacuates hundreds of tourists from Machu Picchu amid widespread violent protests, government crackdown

More than 400 tourists -- including 300 foreigners -- had been trapped at Machu Picchu for days

Train service to and from the town of Machu Picchu, at the base of the hill where the ancient Inca citadel with the same name sits, had been closed since Thursday due to damage to the tracks leading back to Cusco. Hundreds of tourists reportedly lined up to sign a petition to be evacuated in a "humanitarian train."

Peru’s Culture Ministry said Saturday it had closed the country’s most famous tourist attraction as well as the Inca Trail leading up to the site "to protect the safety of tourists and the population in general."

Attention: There are many valid ways to approach this topic: Some will choose their own way which could include:

1 – Isn’t it noteworthy that presidents around the world are throwing up their hands in frustration and saying… “That’s it … abolish congress!” Inevitably they are persecuted and beshat upon by the media globally. What’s up with that? What’s happening in the ‘congresses’ of the world that might have been factor here? … Some say globalists (fascism), others say crime lords (fascism), still others say crazed military leadership (fascism)… corporate/criminal/military … I can’t wait.

2- These seemingly generically-flavored “protesters” are largely Peruvian university students – but they sport no “identity”- no group name - so the media can’t place them in a box for us to focus hatred on – dang it! They might be leftists, right wing, indigenous supportive, populist zealots, stupid kids, pissed off citizens… no one seems to be willing to speak for them. Police being who they are and programmed to do what they do treat them as terrorist of course, (they do that everywhere now, so there’s no denying it’s inherent in the system.)

Also Saturday, police raided Peru’s most important public university in Lima to evict protesters who were being housed at the campus while participating in big demonstrations.
More than 100 people were detained, Interior Minister Vicente Romero said.
Police used a small tank to burst into the National University of San Marcos in the morning.
Hundreds of protesters congregated outside the law enforcement offices where the detainees were being held Saturday evening chanting "Freedom" and "We’re students, not terrorists."

I would rather not this be a ‘common thing’ in the worlds’ governments… but for some reason I feel like these are being presented as fodder for the “You see, you need us to save you from yourselves” trope. I don’t know… what do you think?

edit on 1/22/2023 by Maxmars because: formatting - dang it!

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

This again? Wasnt this a few weeks ago? Pictures and videos of tourists walking part way down tracks until gov sent help.

The day they overthrew the gov. Rt? Im wrong? Thnx

*Adding- they let the tourism resume to M.P. after?
edit on 01234731America/ChicagoSun, 22 Jan 2023 17:58:47 -060058202300000047 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Well, at least I'm not imagining the repetition of events... and reactions... and press treatment... I should stop.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The only thing that can save the world now is Klaus Schwab and the great reset.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0

When you are only eating bugs, you won't have the energy to be angry and protest.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You better be cooking those bugs on an electric stove too.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

I agree that I could not help but associate this new "trend" with the stench of some kind of "plan."

I guess the only place that kind of plan can come from is one flavor of fascist agenda or another.

Right now, its a flavor of the "Fourth" kind.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Assuming you are doing it only during the hour or two per day you are allowed to have electricity.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 07:28 PM
link   

And we all seek to learn, expand our horizons. Im just tryin t' keep up!

God Bless...thnx...MS

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 11:45 PM
link   
as someone living in the country, let me paint you what's actually going on.

part of it is what i have read in the papers and a dash of conspiracy, but here is the current situation as of today:

These current protests stem from ex-president Castillo's attempted coup in December. The interim president, Dina Boluarte, is trying to do peace, but although she is of the same far left party (Peru Libre/Free Peru) as Castillo, the "protesters" in favor of Castillo believe that she has sided with Congress which, not mincing words here, is hopelessly corrupt. Literally rats that abandon one ship and board another so to say.

These protests are more focused near the south of the country, which is mostly indigenous and poor (tourism and mining being the only big draws) and they have a right to feel that they are shafted by Lima. They want immediate elections for a new president and are also calling for a new constitution that will give them more rights.

BUT

It's being reported that terrorists, namely from the groups Sendero Luminoso/Shining Path (which has some ties to Peru Libre) and MRTA are infiltrating the protests and making them violent instead of relatively peaceful. They have blocked important highways (having indirectly caused the deaths of a baby and a child who were being transported to better hospitals), burned buildings and sacked stores and businesses. They even torched a police officer alive in a town in Puno province. And while most of the issues have stayed in the south, protests in the capital have gotten out of control despite police presence. A building was burned in San Martin Plaza on Thursday and today the university of San Marcos was attacked.

Luckily for me, i'm in a relatively safe area of the capital, so i'm not in any inherent danger, but I am kind of sad that I can't travel farther south.

I can try to give updates, but most of the time i just don't follow the news because it's just repetitive stuff.

Forgot to add that bolivian Evo Morales is also sticking his nose into the protests, egging them on.
edit on 22-1-2023 by TheToastmanCometh because: stuff

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 04:40 AM
link   
That poor man being burnt. That’s an outrage and a tragedy.

a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

edit on 23-1-2023 by Dalamax because: Eta

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Thank you for the information. Please be careful out there.

We in the US are very familiar with 'agents provocateur' and how no protest is safe from their efforts to disrupt and inflame.

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0

I spilled my coffee this morning reaching for the
wife's birthday present. If you left anything on the
inside of your visor from that last post, I still have
most of that roll of RAGS in reach for the refluxage.

It's happening seemingly everywhere except the
Good Old Red, White and Weird. The country with
not too coincidentally the most sedated and prolific
collection of guns on the planet. Say When

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   
That Just made me Want to turn on every light and appliance in the house
and Fire up all of my LP Gas Appliances.

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: watchitburn

Assuming you are doing it only during the hour or two per day you are allowed to have electricity.

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

i hate to paint everyone here with a brush, but unfortunately there are still very uneducated people who are easily swayed and prone to committing such violence. IIRC last year there was a village who did witch hunts and captured a few women and tortured them for being witches. in 2021.

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 03:42 PM
link   

my area isnt really strategically important, it's mostly warehouses and furniture manufacturing. the protesters just want to be near the government buildings.

I mean it's possible someone could burn a warehouse, but relatively unlikely.

in the meantime, we produce memes lke so

posted on Jan, 23 2023 @ 04:08 PM
link   

It seems like people are the same everywhere after all.

Go figure.

top topics

join