It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Today warns against using 'culturally sensitive words' like aloha, hola, shalom

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
I suppose my wearing of Hawaiian shirts is offensive.

Know what?

I don't give a f**k.
I mean only if you have bad taste or they haven't come back again, again.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The author of this garbage probably has gotten six climate change boosters

I hope someone urinates in his soy latte

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If it gets me a double blue check on one of the bigger social media sites, I’ll say anything or do anything you want David!

Govern me harder, my random effeminate trash rag writer! I need that blue check mark!

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Hello everyone, or perhaps "hola" if I dare.

Dayum!

I too, like to live dangerously.

It's interesting to note that whoever is making up this bull# is by default always expecting the worst of people even in a greeting.

Who put these nut jobs in charge?

Where do they get their funding from?

When do we launch George Soros off Mt Rushmore with a catapult and see whether he can fly?
edit on 16-1-2023 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Good morning, anus Dias, ass a lamb a lake um, and a howdie do to Mr Fairness - David the dork from USA Today

What a noble thing Dave from USA Today has done by acting like he is in 2nd grade writing to the principal

Finally, world peace. How did you ever figure it out David from USA Today?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 06:17 AM
link   
you can stop using words like fall too... there I said it *phew I feel better now*

stop using our words you big meanies

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

In the US, people have so many different cultural backgrounds, even *gasp* among us whites because, you know, we don't all come from the same place (shocking I know), that we tend to ask that just as a point of curiosity. Genealogy is huge because everyone, even among us whites, shocking I know, we want to know where we're from.

For example, I'm part English and part old Pennsylvania Dutch which goes back to a tiny border region between Germany and Switzerland.

So, yeah, that's what you get when you ask me that. We expect to hear something similar when we ask anyone that because in the US you get some really, really cool answers from others, not accusations of racism.
edit on 16-1-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 07:22 AM
link   

"One of my Hawaiian language teachers taught it to me as 'Aloha means recognizing yourself in everyone and everything you meet.'"

If you're not Hawaiian and you say it, it could come off as mockery. And that's just one word to think about.

The use of certain words requires education, knowledge and the foresight to understand when they should – or shouldn't – come out of your mouth.

So 'aloha' does not really mean hello, well I'll bet most non-Hawaiian people would not know that, therefore I would think that the Hawaiian people would also know that fact and either correct us when we say it or let it slide for tourists because it's not worth the effort either way non-Hawaiians are not being educated on their language. If it such a big issue they may want to think about providing small FAQ booklets readily available everywhere on the Island so we don't offend.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

you've got a great point. when a stranger asks a question about your background, that should be taken as flattering, as an ice breaker. Lord knows we need less "tough guy" attitudes in public. Heck, it's even time for New Yorkahs to be nice. Friendly greetings and tasteful pleasantries such as "what is your background, I admire aspects of your culture and wish to learn more, etc..

And look, if you're in a bad mood and don't wanna talk, a smile and no response will do

but the last thing we need is the hard attitudes and the "why you stepping to me??" garbage has got to go. Mr Fairness David's article promotes more "tough guy" attitudes in public

this reminds me of the pro sports name changing nonsense. To have a pro team named an Indian os FLATTERY you dumb crybabies.. same goes for Redskins and all other. It is an HONOR unless you jump through hoops like a circus tiger to make it offensive
edit on 16-1-2023 by Salamandy because: point about pro sports names

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Let me give you guys a little insight into what I’ve experienced as an Asian American.

A lot of those things are just people being curious, nosey, maybe a little aggressive at times.
The problem is that it happens at so much that someone not living it probably has no idea and thinks
WHAT’S the big deal.

Firstly, they are annoying. Secondly, there are a lot of assumptions made just based on ones looks.
I’ve only listed the harmless ones, but ever Asian person in my family has dealt with some very scary incidents too.
Thirdly, you would not believe how many times it is just the random stranger that say these things.

I completely agree with this article. People say weird stuff without even knowing what it means or the cultural context.
I don’t have a problem with an article saying maybe that’s not a great thing.

Respectfully, I want to address your post. I don't want to invalidate anything you are saying, but I would like to expand on the topic a bit. I hope you can accept that others have experienced what you describe, some more than others, and some at least at some point. I too have been an object of 'racial appearance' expectations that are obtuse.

But the fact that you or I are 'tired' of the repeated instances of 'probing' and ignorant (but still innocent) comments and questions regarding our heritage or racial make-up is not an element of 'reality' that we can automatically foist upon others. We are as responsible for the nature of such engagements as those instigating the 'casual' foray into social encounters.

When a child observes anything about a person, they can be almost universally forgiven whatever they say about it. They are children, so "ooh, why does that lady look that way?", or "Why is that man's skin like that?" we forgive them... we don't saddle them with a moral crisis, send them to reeducation camps, or demand they write 1,000-word essays to "teach them a lesson" about 'cultural sensitivity," do we?

When a person is genuinely interested in you as a person, can they not simply ask? The answer as informed by this 'article' is a resounding "No." According to this 'philosophy, we must first approach each other with fear and trepidation because we don't know "how the person we are interested in feels." Saying words is now a threat and a risk.

When I meet you, and casually inquire about your heritage, you are 'automatically' offended? I would say 'probably not' but the message here is that communication of any sort must be "culturally analyzed" and a perception must be inferred by the magic of 'woke' sensitivity rendering any contact potentially both suspect and slathered in rank judgement rejecting simple innocence for base ignorance and cruelty.

Casual interpersonal communication has never been about 'imposing views' except for those who do... like racists, zealots, 'CRT/DEI' woke warriors... and likely this author.

At the end of this road is one option... "Don't speak to each other." ...
1 - You're not smart enough,
2 - people exist in a perpetual state of 'pre-offense,'
3 - and you are an insensitive oaf.

It's a shame really, that people who might have liked each other and formed valuable life-long friendships will now be driven to "opt out" of meaningful contact... with neither taking the responsibility for overcoming miscommunications; one for not sublimating their own historical baggage and the other for being fearful and ashamed of not knowing how the other might consider "the right way" to speak.

When saying words there is difference between those who mean to cut, injure, and offend and those who seek opportunity to the pretense of having been cut, injured, and offended. Common sense says it should be relatively straightforward to discern between the two.

But when the intent to injure was never there, the act of highlighting the "potential" injury often is abused to imply that 'injury' took place.

This renders the 'faux offended' into the 'actual offender.'

So, when I say, "Boy! this is one of the nicest days for weeks." aloud... is it really proper for my black acquaintance to say, "Did you just call me Boy?" and become offended at my racial insensitivity? I think the offense therein is not mine, unless the woke crowd is right and I must forever exist in a state of verbal hesitancy ... like testifying in court.

Please accept my apologies if any of my comments triggered discomfort in you. I respect you greatly and would never purposefully incite an antagonism between us.

edit on 1/16/2023 by Maxmars because: grammar

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I think offended is the wrong word but is what is being used over and over.
Yes I do understand there is curiosity toward people that look different than the mainstream.
Ketsuko mentioned what’s wrong with being asked?

Let’s break that down. How much do white people actually get asked. I’ve been married to my husband for decades I can remember one time him being asked “where ya from” because someone thought he looked Polish.

Me on the other hand it a regular thing. I think that’s the problem.
Just 20 years ago I think this kind of thing would be more acceptable, but now it’s old, it’s tired. We all know that Americans can look like anything. Let’s not kid ourselves, how many of these people actually want to be friends? Wouldn’t a true friend not want to make people uncomfortable?

My question to you. Should we evolve as a people or no? Verbal hesitancy? What is wrong with thinking…..thinking before you speak.

I recently watched Archie Bunker. A show we grew up with. We thought it was the most hilarious thing on Earth.
Watching it today I cringed, was horrified, and realized change can be a good thing.
edit on 16-1-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I am of Polish, British, and German/Austrian descent, an American citizen, very fair and blonde.
My husband is of the same exact descent, an American citizen, with black hair, brown eyes and olive skin.
It's very strange that we are both so different, but who knows what groups were moving and intermingling across Europe hundreds of years ago, because we are all descendants of those times and people.
I agree with JAGStorm, it can be very annoying at times - especially when you get the stares (as we do), and the comments. I ignore it all, isn't variety the spice of life?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   

It just seems a very small percentage of people are highly sensitive to everything around them. I don't think there are too many people hung up on just one thing, and it is a pool of these things like culturally sensitive words, pronouns, assumptions etc that all effect these people in the same way.

They actually live for this, love the confrontation with people making mistakes as they see. To me it seems that if one can self-identify as anything then there are no such thing as culturally sensitive words.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   
David Oliver??? The man is an idiotic cretin. I used to go to Spain regularly, my brothers lived there, and apart from the odd Spaniard who said "please talk in English as I understand you better" the vast majority would applaud me for trying to master their language.
The words quoted are friendly words of greeting not offensive words of greeting like a certain word that black men call one another but if a white person said the word he would be decried as racist.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

It just seems a very small percentage of people are highly sensitive to everything around them. I don't think there are too many people hung up on just one thing, and it is a pool of these things like culturally sensitive words, pronouns, assumptions etc that all effect these people in the same way.

They actually live for this, love the confrontation with people making mistakes as they see. To me it seems that if one can self-identify as anything then there are no such thing as culturally sensitive words.

Yes there is probably a small group that really blows up at it, but I can say a lot of us are just as tired of it.
A lot of it is rude, inappropriate and just plain bad manners.

I mean do you go up to a blond and say hello in Polish, or a redhead and say “Top of the morning to ya” (there are probably people that do”

I think how it’s done makes a big difference. When people come up speaking Japanese to me, that’s insulting, I’m not Japanese.
When they say Ni Hao, that’s insulting, I’m not Chinese.

Should I be happy and encouraging and not bothered? That’s what I’m getting from most of the comments here.
Aloha is a word that should be used in certain ways, with a certain meaning. People are mad they just can’t use it all Willy nilly like they want.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You wouldn't believe some of the comments we've gotten as a couple, with me being so fair and my husband darker skinned - and comments from my own Polish people! They simply do not believe that he is also of Polish descent, but he is.
I can't educate others, so I choose to brush off their rudeness. There is something to be said for worrying about things I can do something about, everything else has to fly.
My blood pressure is more important than their ignorance.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

But if they ask where you are from to avoid making that mistake, you're offended.

Maybe no one should talk to you? You seem genuinely unfriendly.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Shalom.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
When you think you got the balls to force me to not speak however I wish, come find me, until then seethe in thy safe space.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But if they ask where you are from to avoid making that mistake, you're offended.

Maybe no one should talk to you? You seem genuinely unfriendly.

I would prefer strangers didn’t talk to me
edit on 16-1-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join