It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have recently been thinking about my time management skills.

I enjoy learning and my relationships, but need to practice greater self discipline to do with time and managing the "adulting" side of life. I have been better about this in the past, before I started a family or when I used to work camp work out of town. It appears when I have more control over my direct environment it easier to juggle my responsibilities effectively.

Typically, I prefer to stay very busy for a short period of time, then enjoy leisure or having fun for a period and alternate. With the daily grind more recently I figure it would be better to balance the time I spend each day at least for 6 days of the week. A day for rest has worked really well, looking back.

So I was mentioning this to someone, and they suggested to me reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." by Stephen R. Covey. I picked up a copy at the thrift store for a song, yesterday, and started reading it.

I enjoy reading these sorts of books, and having a hard copy is great to relax with. I really liked the beginning so far, but am wondering how practical it will help me manage time better. I have the impression that this book will be helpful in many ways.I feel a strong sense of satisfaction and gratitude with my life in general all ready, so even though I can relate to the parts the author talks about about enriching relationships, that is not my main motivation for reading the book. I'll am going to keep reading it, because it is good to get practice helping yourself and it's got a really uplifting vibe.

I wanted to quote some part of the book from first chapter for those who may not have read it. The book starts off very well, I am having a difficult time picking just one section. Perhaps this will give others an idea of scope the author had mind in the background of the book:

The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey;A FIRESIDE BOOK;Simon & Schuster; 1989. Page 18...

Personality and Character Ethics

At the same time, in addition to my research on perception, I was also deeply immersed in an in-depth study of the success literature published in the United States since 1776. I was reading or scanning literally hundreds of books, articles, and essays in fields such as self-improvement, popular psychology, and self- help. At my fingertips was the sum and substance of what a free and democratic people considered to be the keys to successful living.

As my study took me back through 200 years of writing about success, I noticed a startling pattern emerging in the content of the literature. Because of our own pain, and because of similar pain I had seen in the lives and relationships of many people I had worked with through the years, I began to feel more and more that much of the success literature of the past 50 years was superficial. It was filled with social image consciousness, techniques and quick fixes—with social band-aids and aspirin that addressed acute problems and sometimes even appeared to solve them temporarily, but left the underlying chronic problems untouched to fester and resurface time and again.

In stark contrast, almost all the literature in the first 150 years or so focused on what could be called the Character Ethic as the foundation of success—things like integrity, humility, fidelity, temperance, courage, justice, patience, industry, simplicity, modesty, and the Golden Rule. Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography is representative of that literature. It is, basically, the story of one man’s effort to integrate certain principles and habits deep within his nature.

The Character Ethic taught that there are basic principles of effective living, and that people can only experience true success and enduring happiness as they learn and integrate these principles into their basic character.

I am wondering if you have read this book? What did you think? Did it help improve your time management skills in a practical sense? The book appears to be a good read, but is there another book for me to consider that strikes you as better for practising time management? Any tips for getting the most out Mr. Covey's insights?

I will continue to read the book, but do not know how much feedback I can provide specifically to do with this book atm.

edit on 14-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: clarity, grammar

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

This is giving 2000 vibes

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I applaud you for reading books!

(It is a most underused resource, generally speaking.)

You will find many approaches to revisiting the 'way' you live your life. I hope you find this a good read.

Some have pointed out that there is more dimensionality to 'effectiveness,' so the 'habits' he appeals to cultivate aren't sufficient. But somehow, I think this book is worth a read even if that were the case.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks, I have not read many books in the more traditional form lately. I usually have been been reading them in electronic formats, hopefully this one helps me manage my time more effectively.

Hard copies do take me back. I like getting them used too, sometimes people have put notes or highlighted parts that are important to them. I like to go to the used books stores and look at the books for fun and to see if there are any more unusual titles.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Sweet. Depending on the time of the year, I enjoy sitting outside and reading in the park or by some water. Inside it's relaxing to read in while soaking in the tub to slow down and unwind as well.

It's fascinating getting different perspectives on philosophical kinds of topics, I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book. I find the more I learn about the way others approach a topic, the more clear idea I have of what does and doesn't work for me as an individual.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I remember in the early 2000s people would actually have Covey Quotes in their office or on posters.

There is a lot of good stuff in there. Probably should pick it up again as my schedule is ….😵‍💫

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   

edit on 1/14/2023 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I too have struggled with effective time management, so I follow a timetable like I used to have back in school. I find this way I can be more efficient and actually get more done with my time. As I tend to start a project and spend to much time on it then get bored with it and move on to something else. A timetable keeps me focused, and when my attention drifts it’s time for another project or goal. It’s very useful as reminder to take exercise as well as opposed to putting it off.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

IIRC, Covey is big on the Pareto Principle, or the 80/20 rule. Basically, 80% of the results come from 20% of the effort. So you basically prioritize your time based on how much a task will fulfill the expectations of the project.

The issue I have with these self-help books, like this one, and "How to Win Friends and Influence People," is that most people suffer from lack of discipline and the inability to squelch their ego ("know-it-all-ism"), or conversely, lack of confidence and persistence.

No amount of self help methods is going to help if you don't actually put the methods into practice diligently, and you'll never get better if you can't accept you're not perfect.

Once you identify the issues that are actually holding you back, you don't really need "self-help."

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 07:02 PM
link   

8) be born into wealth.

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

That is a good reminder.

When I was younger I used to make up these cards, iirc. This was way like a few decades ago. I got the idea from a book but cannot remember which one exactly.

I would draw various rows and columns on the card, and the main area in the middle portion would have a timetable. I could track how I spent my time and what I had hoped to do. The top of the card had usually a motivational quote. The were other areas on the card to keep track of a variety of goals, things like virtue/vice, expenses, little notes, etc. The book I made this thread about appears to self help, and this is what came to mind being reminded about timetables.

I can feel the same same about time, and the cards I mentioned are a way I used to help stay focused on high school. I will practice working a timetable into my routine, I like how you mentioned it helps with when one's attention drifts. I tend to start more things then I finish and this will help with work flow.

edit on 15-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: almost forgot cheers

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: rounda
IIRC, Covey is big on the Pareto Principle, or the 80/20 rule. Basically, 80% of the results come from 20% of the effort. So you basically prioritize your time based on how much a task will fulfill the expectations of the project.

I appreciate the reminder about the 80/20 rule. I find that motivating.

Better time management has been an area that I have looked to improve upon for a long time. I had mentioned this to a friend of mine before. He told me, and my Dad was reminding me yesterday about the importance of evaluating needs vs wants for myself and also with how I spend my time with others. Needs ahead of my wants for myself, and perhaps others needs ahead of my wants depending on who it is, or how close they are. Also with others putting their needs ahead of their wants.

The later part of the overview in this book encourages one to think about the story of the goose and the golden egg to illustrate something the author describes as P/PC or the relationship between production and production capacity. He goes on to mention the importance of working on private victory. I figure in light of the concept of private victory and being proactive with myself , the 80/20 rule can really help encourage me addressing the needs that will make the most difference.

The issue I have with these self-help books, like this one, and "How to Win Friends and Influence People," is that most people suffer from lack of discipline and the inability to squelch their ego ("know-it-all-ism"), or conversely, lack of confidence and persistence.

No amount of self help methods is going to help if you don't actually put the methods into practice diligently, and you'll never get better if you can't accept you're not perfect.

It may depend how hungry someone is for change.

I really like Mr. Carnegie's book. I had been feeling really down on myself the first part of junior high, and this book made a great difference. It gave me suggestions or a map on how to go about having better relationships with my peers.

High school is challenging for young people, depending on the role models in their life they may not be able to get ideas or suggestions on opening up and improving they way they practice communicating or trying to be themselves.

Once you identify the issues that are actually holding you back, you don't really need "self-help."

This is true, but I feel it comes easier as someone matures and feels more confident in themselves.

There are those who improve themselves in an intuitive fashion, yet as many who like to see suggestions for a more structured approach. Drawing on authors experiences provides an opportunity to leverage their time and wisdom. It can give some on a heads up on dynamics that would otherwise be learned through trial and error. Reading books like these can also keep someone in a positive mindset compared to taking in other info more passively.

Thank you

edit on 16-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: spacing

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Can we make a habit of being born into wealth?LOL

Idk, it would be nice to leave something to our children. Those who have wealth handed down to them, will hopefully try and build on that for their own.

I feel that most often the wealth people are born into is the less tangible wealth, not necessarily purely financial. Parents who practice being a good example to their children, show them how principles work and the importance of the virtues as tools for better living may be handing down assets that are priceless.

Nobody is perfect, but even if the things I mentioned are not obvious breaking cycles of inter generational trauma are not to be understated either. I'm thinking cycles of substance abuse, domestic violence, and poverty to name a few. I think these considerations are ways to invest in our families wealth too.

edit on 16-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: I meant intergenerational trauma rather then challenges

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You know, I really don't like these motivational books, they usually don't work.

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassy0110

It's not everyone's cup of tea Miss.

That is ok, but if you know this about yourself, you can always try audio books or other kinds of learning. I prefer a hands on approach ideally. Many learn best through experience. No issues there, but if this works for me I can share the principles with others or they can see me practice.

new topics

top topics

join