It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Season 1 25th episode of Star Trek the Next Generation - Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I was doing some binge watching of ST TNG and came across one of the more cringy episodes. I use to watch this show in the late 80's, I was about 9 when this episode aired but I remember it because it's quite graphic for the time.

I didn't think much of it at the time but this came on my radar recently. It's the casting memo to John Pike. Star Trek:TNG casting memo surfaces after 23 years

The episode referenced was called Conspiracy. Here is the general run down.

Captain Picard receives a highly confidential message from Captain Walker Keel of the USS Horatio. Keel refuses to discuss his concerns and insists on a face-to-face meeting. At the meeting, Keel reports strange orders from Starfleet headquarters and what he implies are suspicious deaths of Starfleet officers and expresses concern of a conspiracy. Picard has Lt. Commander Data review all orders issued by Starfleet Command in the past six months. Data finds several strange orders from the senior levels of Starfleet and Picard orders the Enterprise to Earth. As it approaches Earth, a transmission is received from a trio of Starfleet admirals, Savar, Aaron and Quinn. The admirals are surprised by the Enterprise's presence but invite Captain Picard and Commander Riker to dinner.

After witnessing the admirals' bizarre behavior and discussion of a "superior life form" Dr. Crusher discovers that a bug-like parasite has wrapped its tendrils around the stem of Quinn's brain and is controlling him. At dinner, it is revealed that the parasites are seeking to take over Starfleet, using humanoids as hosts. Riker and Picard subdue the infected men, causing parasites to leave the hosts and flee. One of the parasites scurries under a closed door, where Picard and Riker find Quinn's assistant Remmick eating the parasite. Picard and Riker fire upon Remmick, destroying his body but freeing a giant parasite; the two continue to fire until it is destroyed. Dr. Crusher reports that the other parasites have shriveled up and died, as they were unable to survive without the mother-creature that had been inhabiting Remmick.

The reason I bring this up is because there was one captain in all of Star Fleet that noticed something was wrong. How could nobody else see? Were they just not speaking up? I know it's a TV show but it's a great example of using your observations and wits to validate conclusions. We don't do this anymore, we are told what to do and most people just go along. Critical thinking is gone.

Extra credit about Gene Roddenberry. The Oatmeal - It's going to be okay

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

I seem to remember that episode... In the military chain of command if a leader is off his rocker and a piss poor leader many disregard their actions figuring someone further up the food chain will have to take action against the individual. Sometimes there are enough complaints that finally reach the puzzle palace that a high food chain office can start an investigation and have the individual removed. Sometimes it takes so long that much damage can occur to the subordinates under the idiots.

In Many wars an idiot in charge does not last long on the battle field as his or her own subordinates remove the problem...look up fragging Vietnam style.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

So why isn't it happening?

I listened to a formar pilot from Canada make some very interesting observations.

It's 7 minutes long, you have to watch the entire thing to get his point unfortuneatly.
edit on 9-1-2023 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: litterbaux
... it's a great example of using your observations and wits to validate conclusions. We don't do this anymore, we are told what to do and most people just go along. Critical thinking is gone. ...

What do you mean by "anymore?"

The vast majority of people have always acted that way. This is why we find ourselves in the predicament we're in now.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: litterbaux
a reply to: 727Sky

So why isn't it happening?

I listened to a formar pilot from Canada make some very interesting observations.

It's 7 minutes long, you have to watch the entire thing to get his point unfortuneatly.

Good video ! The pendulum of freedom will swing back or there will be mayhem as more are fed up with the WEF guidelines and the governments who support their efforts.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Loved the show back then. This made me want to rewatch it

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 11:41 PM
link   
it's a phenomenon that's been going on for hundreds if not thousands of years. We are naturally scared of our superiors. Fearful of losing our jobs or worse. sometimes it's not in your best interest to speak out. They left Serpico to die. He only survived coz civilians told rookie beat cops on the street. and when they saw it was Serpico they were reluctant to help. Meaning most of the time it takes complacency on a wider role.

OP's example was 3 admirals. usually, when it's just one rogue in an organisation they are kept in check and kicked out. It requires teamwork and multiple participants and complacency for it to go so long.

posted on Jan, 10 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   

a reply to: litterbaux
The reason I bring this up is because there was one captain in all of Star Fleet that noticed something was wrong. How could nobody else see? Were they just not speaking up? I know it's a TV show but it's a great example of using your observations and wits to validate conclusions. We don't do this anymore, we are told what to do and most people just go along. Critical thinking is gone.

Love TNG and most of the others too.

And, yep.

top topics

join