It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurants now Over-salting foods

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have a totally different theory about what's going on. Businesses are having a hard time these days hiring (or even finding) good workers. I'd be willing to bet that they're having a hard time finding good chefs as well. Having worked as a professional chef, I know from experience that restaurants sometimes hire people who just aren't very good at cooking. And I think it's really starting to show more these days.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   
They should leave the salt out and let those that want it..salt it their self. Many people need low sodium diets.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   
My doctor warned me to not eat at restaurants. Salt.

I enjoy cooking, so its not a problem for me. I made wonton soup tonight. It was tedious stuffing wonton wraps with pork/shrimp. I had the baked pork belly I made last week.

Last couple times I had wonton soup from a restaurant, it sucked. The broth was like salt water

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Restaurant food has been full of sodium for years. I don't use much foods that are high in sodium, when I make food from scratch, it has salt in it and way less than in the food in most restaurants. The distinguishing part of salty is usually the chloride taste. Sodium has a blah taste to me. The wife cannot comprehend that chloride in food makes it taste saltier though, it is not really the sodium. She has no problem with all the canned soups yet complains when I make soup sometimes. It is salted perfectly and I add green beans at the end or other green stuff which brings up the chloride level and it seems too salty sometimes, nothing that adding a half cup of water to the soup gets rid of because it attaches to the well water and lowers the salty/chloride taste. I just learned that about five years ago, ran into the chloride/salty taste when watching a cooking show from some country. It mentioned that you should add salt in stages and not to have the salt perfect untill after the veggies were cooked at the end...then salt it to taste or let it less salty and people can add their own salt.

The food in restaurants seems to have a high sodium content plus the chloride taste. They usually use chlorinated water for cooking, so I suppose the sodium matched to the chlorinated water can create salt.

The wife complains if I add too much salt, yet she loves extremely salty food in restaurants. I guess it is safe to say she believes salt is all right if you pay four times as much for the food. My sister in law is about the same way, only restricts salt at home then says that the food in restaurants is so great. It is like sabotaging the cooking at home to justify going out and eat.

We rarely eat out anymore, the stuff we make from scratch at home is so much better, not to mention so much cheaper, many times you can make the same exact meal out of half organic ingredients at home for the price of the tax and the tip.

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well you know refrigeration and electricity is going down.

Salt is a tried and tested way of preservation.
edit on 9-1-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I mean Lots wife when she looked back on Sodom (and Gomorrah - although what they ever did is questionable).

A pillar of salt, so bring your pepper-grinders, and your pizzas.

posted on Jan, 10 2023 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
a reply to: JAGStorm

They oversalt to sell beverages. I was told this quite a while ago by a manager in the restaurant business.

Yep. And they overprice the beverages. A nice little side business.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 10 2023 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The golden rule with restaurants/take out is find a good one and get to know the owner.

If you can build rapport then you will get top notch food, every time you visit/order.

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Best Chinese restaurant ever in my opinion! Chinese food to die for. Non GMO and low on salt.

HAPPY JACK'S RESTAURANT & PATIO

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join