It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Food Price Report - No End in Sight for Rising Food Prices

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Food prices continue to rise globally and Canada is no exception.

The amount that a two-adult household will spend on food this year is actually MORE than they an receive through Social Assistance. Let that sink in, that means, no rent, clothes, internet, phone, etc, JUST FOOD!!!

We ain't seen nothing yet, the worst is still to come and these predictions have been aggressive, yet prices sailed past the predicted figures.

Researchers say a typical family of four will be forced to shell out an average of $16,288 on food over the course of 2023 — an increase of $1,065 from this year. A two-adult household will spend $7,711, a bump of more than $500 from 2022.

Those increases will come as food inflation remains above 10 per cent, according to the most recent Statistics Canada figures released last month. October saw food prices rise by 10.1 per cent, down slightly from the 10.3 per cent hike in September.
Global

Keep in mind that these numbers are already fudged to make it look better than it is!

The rate of food inflation exceeded researchers’ predictions in the last Food Price Report, which anticipated a five to seven per cent bump for 2022 — a number Taylor noted was seen as “relatively high” and “aggressive.”

That was before COVID-19 pandemic-fuelled supply chain issues drove inflation to a 40-year high, while Russia’s invasion of Ukraine further squeezed global food supplies. A weaker Canadian dollar also hurt grocers’ buying power, Taylor added.

I don't think for a minute that Russia has anything to do with it. Just a convenient scapegoat.

The "plandemic" and TPTB reaction to it is what is causing this record level inflation on a global basis IMO.

Strap in, it's going to be a rough year for those who are unprepared!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   
cripes in terms of comparisons I'm hard pushed to see our broach Canadian $7,000.. though we do buy a lot from local greengrocers and butchers who buy from local farms and the fish is freshly caught and landed locally..

the thing with covid is its forced many to buy local at cheaper rates..

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Yeah we buy some fancy stuff we don't need occasionally, like imported cheese, prosciutto, lamb ribs etc but those numbers definitely are fudged. I mean if you can't eat well and healthier (non GMO/organic) what's the point in working?

We are a 2 person household and the $160 a week they predict is already way too low....

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

We are all being milked like the compliant little sheep that we are , wholesale gas and oil prices have dropped yet prices at the pumps and in our bills still remain well in excess of what they should be .... where are the protests !

It has been reported that the executives at FTSE companies have already earned more than most of us will earn in a year in the first few days of 2023.... because they're worth it.

By 2pm this Thursday, bosses of FTSE 100 companies will have banked an average of £33,000, as much as the average worker will during the whole of 2023.

Data from the High Pay Centre showed that five days into the new year, the average chief executive of the UK’s biggest companies will have earned the same as the median salary for a UK worker.

"In the worst economic circumstances that most people can remember, it is difficult to believe that a handful of top earners are still raking in such extraordinary amounts of money," High Pay Centre director Luke Hildyard said.
uk.finance.yahoo.com...

Where's our "Me Too" movement.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The wife and I figure the real food inflation is somewhere between 100-150% increase
Some items like lettuce have a 300% increase from a few years ago
Chicken doubled in price and so has beef.

Even turkey once considered the cheapest of cheap meat per pound is on the rise.

Bag of Doritos? 6$ Not the family size either the regular one.

Cheese whiz? 12.99 per standard size jar.

Coffee? 30$ a tin

edit on 6-1-2023 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I don't think for a minute that Russia has anything to do with it. Just a convenient scapegoat.

Well they ain’t exactly helping the situation either… even if we were to entertain your opinion that Russias aggression isn’t one of the root causes of this mess that we’re currently in.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   

There is only one way to combat this…

EVERYONE that is able should have a garden and/or raise livestock.
Those that cannot should support those that do.
Those that do should not gouge those that can’t, if anything it would be best to barter services, skills or other items for goods. No money changing hands. This is how many people survived many times in history!

Only at that point and when everyone stops buying from the stores will they be competitive again. Right now these corporations are making profits like crazy, they are pushing the limits to see how much people will spend.

Although this may seem like a dark time filled with negativeness, there is a true silver lining.

We might have to rely on each other again. We might have to eat non round up sprayed food. We might get healthier, have less allergies, GI issues and waste. We might learn about foraging, and farming, gardening, husbandry.

When you do all those things the circle of life is even more evident, and how we grow impacts our environment.

The evil powers wants to take us down and keep us poor and unhealthy, but the law of unintended consequences (similar to Covid lockdowns) has a wicked sense of humor. What if we find out we REALLY don’t need them (we really don’t)

edit on 6-1-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Well they ain’t exactly helping the situation either… even if we were to entertain your opinion that Russias aggression isn’t one of the root causes of this mess that we’re currently in.

The "entertaining" is you believing MSM BS.

This was well on it's way and predicted by those who could see what the results of global lockdowns would be.

Nothing to do with Russia, they're just the latest and greatest scapegoat of the last few years.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The plandemic was done on purpose by the Corporate Elites to dramatically increase the profits on everything across the board! The Corporate States of Corporate America and Corporate Canada are always at work to increase the cost of living and goods for everyone on this Earth! Pay to Win and Pay to Live will never get any cheaper with them in charge of everything!

The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition is the real bible for us all to follow! 📖
edit on 6-1-2023 by DoomsdayDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Obviously the mess we’re in isn’t completely Russias fault.

But it’s also no coincidence that Russia decided to start this war against Ukraine at this exact point in time. They deliberately and strategically hit the western world when it was at its weakest point.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Last year we doubled the size of our garden now most of the back yard is garden. I still have carrots, beets, beans and celery in the freezer. I did potato’s for the first time on a few plants and wow I blown away by the yield I got close to 50 pounds.

This coming growing season I plan on really going big with my potatoes get a couple hundred pounds maybe.

I was able to make a couple big batches of borscht with all the ingredients taken from my garden. My great grand father and mother came to Canada from Ukraine and my great grandfather served in the Canadian military and helped liberate France and fought on the outskirts of Paris. My grandma also married another Ukrainian my grandfather. So I like all those classic dishes cabbage rolls, borscht, perogies, kielbasa because I am was pretty much raised on it. Gardening was an essential skill for them and they instilled it into me.

the other side of my family is 100% Dutch and they came after the Second World War when my Opa was just a teenager. He and most of his family survived the nazi occupation of The Netherlands. He was a carpenter and man of the land.

Both sides of my family experienced extremes in famine in their lives and had seen the horror war they instilled into me the importance of food and the supply of it.

My Opa decided to come to Canada because his village was liberated by Canadian troops. He would recall how he started smoking because the troops handed out packs of cigarettes and food during the liberation. He was the first of his whole family of 18 to come to Canada and he went by himself at age 16. He worked as a carpenter and saved enough to bring his older brother over aswell who was also a wood worker. The two then worked on bringing their entire family over. Some stayed in Holland but most came to Canada.

Sorry for the digression but the topic of gardens got me thinking about how and why I got into gardening.
a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   
food is a global commodity and Russia / Ukraine war has an impact.
rich people like Canadians pay more. poor people (sub-Saharan Africa) do without.

I think this was purely Putin's fault.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
food is a global commodity and Russia / Ukraine war has an impact.
rich people like Canadians pay more. poor people (sub-Saharan Africa) do without.

I think this was purely Putin's fault.

Sure it is.

Show me with data...

I'll admit that it's probably now having an impact, but the fault doesn't lie with Russia. It lies with our respective governments.

That's why so many could predict this ahead of time.
edit on 1/6/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The prices for everything are growing everywhere in the, who had ever thought that, by WEF agents hijacked former more or less free nations.

That´s how the Great Reset feels on our, the peasants, way to 2030 when we finally will be very happy about owning nothing anymore. For the profits of the few stinky rich "philanthropes" and their money+power hungry henchmen who sacrifice their own fellow humans to fullfill that evil plan.

Now the transformation picks up speed and the deniers, who now all feel the transformation in their own wallets, will only cry and deny louder, will only scream louder:

"Conspiracy Theory!!!"

On their way to 2030, dragging all of us into the abyss they deny to see coming closer day by day.
Cheers

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Coffee? 30$ a tin

$30 for coffee??!!!

That's when I riot.

We can still get a 22.6 oz. can of Folgers for $10.99, $9.50 or so if it's on sale.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

There is only one way to combat this…

EVERYONE that is able should have a garden and/or raise livestock.
Those that cannot should support those that do.
Those that do should not gouge those that can’t, if anything it would be best to barter services, skills or other items for goods. No money changing hands. This is how many people survived many times in history!

Only at that point and when everyone stops buying from the stores will they be competitive again. Right now these corporations are making profits like crazy, they are pushing the limits to see how much people will spend.

Although this may seem like a dark time filled with negativeness, there is a true silver lining.

We might have to rely on each other again. We might have to eat non round up sprayed food. We might get healthier, have less allergies, GI issues and waste. We might learn about foraging, and farming, gardening, husbandry.

When you do all those things the circle of life is even more evident, and how we grow impacts our environment.

The evil powers wants to take us down and keep us poor and unhealthy, but the law of unintended consequences (similar to Covid lockdowns) has a wicked sense of humor. What if we find out we REALLY don’t need them (we really don’t)

Yessim. Good advice.

I'm glad you're an optimist, Jags. We need that sometimes.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
We are living in the great reset, no doubt about it. We are being crushed with hyper inflation, no housing, or healthcare, stagnant wages..but no worries, our fine govt is importing a million and a half mofos a year, who don't mind living 4 per bedroom..we are being replaced

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
That sounds good, something to strive for..but, where I live, most people being funneled into sh$tty little condo's, houses and property being bought up for this, most people have no yard anymore. And it burns me that people bought into this garbage(condo life)

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It’s insane man. 26.99$ then taxed at 14%

a reply to: watchitburn

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Canadian produces a lot of the worlds food.

We sell electricity to America at a discount then buy it back at a premium. We could also be a world leader in oil and gas production but our own laws keep us from doing so.

I don’t owe anyone anywhere anything , not even the Ukraine which is where my blood comes from, not a cent.

My fellow Canadians? I’d give them the world if I could. We have everything we could ever need in this nation we just have an oppressive globalist government that won’t allow us to make use of our resources. More fresh water then any place on earth too.

I am not aware of a single product that the war in Ukraine would effect the price of besides gasoline…because you know how the world still buys lots of Russian fuel.

We certainly don’t need Ukraines grain Saskatchewan is almost bigger then that whole country.
a reply to: ElGoobero

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join